Google to fold Chrome OS, Android together into new OS strategy for 2017

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 86

Google/Alphabet is spinning. They are using the time-honored process frequently used by corporations, governments, politicians, entertainers etc. to manage media, partners, consumers etc.

Leak to a reliable source (the Wall Street Journal, not some fan clickbait gossip site) that ChromeOS is going away, which JUST HAPPENS TO be in line with years of similar leaks and actions/directions taken previously. 

Then give a vague, open-ended noncommital non-denial "denial" that doesn't explicitly admit "we screwed up" and also keeps your current OEM partners/developers (Google and third party)/customers on board. 

Google's commitment to ChromeOS extends to their current contractual agreements to OEM manufacturers and to customers who own devices, especially bulk buyers via their Google@Work ... excuse me ... Google For Work and Google For Schools programs. When those contractual obligations to entities like Asus, Acer, Samsung, HP as well as the few cash-strapped public schools and businesses trying to be on the leading edge (as well as save a buck). But when those expire, ChromeOS will cease to live on as a commercial product, and Google will cease providing updates and other support to owners of existing and new devices after the typical 2 year window (please note that 2017, 2 years from now, was given as the date, which would be a good time for Android Orange Marmalade to debut).

But this has has been the case with ChromeOS by extending the Material Design language to the UI and commissioning a touchscreen convertible tablet device, and oh yeah the obvious fact that ChromeOS is a marketplace failure with virtually no first or third party developer support, almost no enterprise or consumer users, and 3/4 of its sales coming from cash-strapped public schools in the hopes that kids who use them at school would pester their parents to buy them for home use but no evidence of this happening so far. Also, the limitations of Android - whose tablet and desktop features seem to have been withheld in order to keep it from cannibalizing ChromeOS, a move which both failed to help ChromeOS and cost Android dearly - can no longer be abided considering that multi-windows and other features are in iOS 9. Google can't use the existence of a failing product as an excuse to fall behind. 

Google will keep ChromeOS around for its own hardware. They will keep hawking Chromecasts even if coming out with Google Cast Receiver-enabled Android TV sticks similar to the Roku and Fire TV streaming sticks would be a much better idea and should cost about the sameand also ChromeOS is powering their OnHub routers. Then again, even those may be replaced with Brillo down the line.

But ultimately ChromeOS will join other "good in theory but half-baked in execution" products in the Google graveyard.

• Reply 82 of 86
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    gatorguy wrote: »

There's at least one really good reason [@]9secondko[/@] likely won't reply, and it's not that he won't see the question IMO. ;)

Dude it's GOOG. why he even needs an explanation is beyond me. He's probably not informed.
  • Reply 83 of 86
    This is most likely the truth:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11/02/android_into_chrome_os/

It ties into my earlier comment. ChromeOS will live on only until the updates period is done. This update period will include users of existing devices, people who buy devices currently stocked by retailers or OEMs and/are or currently in the supply chain channels, and OEMs who have licensing agreements to manufacture more devices. For example, if you look at this http://www.droid-life.com/2015/11/02/google-chrome-os-isnt-being-phased-out-85-chromebit-launching-in-couple-weeks Google is going to go ahead with the Chromebit (a device looking for a purpose, but the device's delay and its price drop from $115 to $85 even before it went on sale pretty much tells you all you need to know ... and oh yes this is another instance where an Android device with a full browser - and not the purposefully hobbled Chrome browser on mobile - would have made a lot more sense, and I fully expect Chromebits to be updated to Android down the line ... assuming of course that Google actually sells any to update in the first place). But this is only because Google contracted with Asus to build this device before the decision to pull the plug on ChromeOS and put it out of its misery was made. I bet that the decision to kill off ChromeOS is due to the Alphabet reorg, which happened as a result of investor and shareholder pressure. The detailed financial reports were going to reveal just how big a money drain the ChromeOS division is, with the 20 million Chromecast devices sold in 18 months being its own qualified success. (20 million device sales in 18 months good, but $35 price leading to almost no profit margin bad.) So Pichai decided to get ahead of the bad financial news by leaking that the white elephant is going away anyway.
  • Reply 84 of 86
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    I'm still convinced that AI pays DED by the word. An otherwise decent article is drug down (and needlessly inflated) by the author's irrelevant diatribe against Android.

Please check DED's Roughly Drafted website. He has been doing his style for YEARS!
  • Reply 85 of 86
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hormot View Post

This is most likely the truth:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11/02/android_into_chrome_os/

It ties into my earlier comment. ChromeOS will live on only until the updates period is done. This update period will include users of existing devices, people who buy devices currently stocked by retailers or OEMs and/are or currently in the supply chain channels, and OEMs who have licensing agreements to manufacture more devices. For example, if you look at this http://www.droid-life.com/2015/11/02/google-chrome-os-isnt-being-phased-out-85-chromebit-launching-in-couple-weeks Google is going to go ahead with the Chromebit (a device looking for a purpose, but the device's delay and its price drop from $115 to $85 even before it went on sale pretty much tells you all you need to know ... and oh yes this is another instance where an Android device with a full browser - and not the purposefully hobbled Chrome browser on mobile - would have made a lot more sense, and I fully expect Chromebits to be updated to Android down the line ... assuming of course that Google actually sells any to update in the first place). But this is only because Google contracted with Asus to build this device before the decision to pull the plug on ChromeOS and put it out of its misery was made. I bet that the decision to kill off ChromeOS is due to the Alphabet reorg, which happened as a result of investor and shareholder pressure. The detailed financial reports were going to reveal just how big a money drain the ChromeOS division is, with the 20 million Chromecast devices sold in 18 months being its own qualified success. (20 million device sales in 18 months good, but $35 price leading to almost no profit margin bad.) So Pichai decided to get ahead of the bad financial news by leaking that the white elephant is going away anyway.

Taking into account that the Chromebit price has not being dropped, there was no release date, Alphabet reorganization doesn't means that ChomeOs division is now an independent entity that has to report anything and that his portray of Chromecast profitability is just speculation means that that commenter shows little knoledge

• Reply 86 of 86
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member

GM restarted Electric Vehicles with the EV1. Honda was the first Japanese maker to follow with the Insight. Toyota copied with them with the Prius, which also isn't an EV or even an Extended Range EV, they're both hybrids. I'm so impressed with Tesla going EV only. I hope Apple brings an EREV with a focus on the EV half of the equation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Insight