First look: Fourth-generation Apple TV with Siri Remote

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 77
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stuartf View Post

Not in the App Store for the UK there isn't so far.

Unless the name has changed?

It's called iTunes Movie Trailers in the App store. 

• Reply 62 of 77
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I just received mine without me having paid the additional 17$ for first day delivery. Going to unbox right now.
  • Reply 63 of 77
    Thanks. Def not in UK store but hopefully will appear soon
  • Reply 64 of 77
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Have you done a factory restore?

Finally working now. I did try the factory restore but that didn't work. I ended up restarting my Airport Extreme and now Home Sharing works. 

• Reply 65 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Walked into my local Best Buy and bought a 64GB ATV off the shelf. They had plenty in stock. Those who pre-ordered thinking they would be the first kid on the block are steaming mad. Not really anything to get mad about but you know some people.

Same here. They had a stack of 32s on the sales floor. They had several 64s in stock, but didn't have them out - they had to go get mine from the stock room.

I had no trouble with the automatic initial setup using my iPhone 6 unlike some users are reporting. I'm connected via ethernet, though.

Everything is going okay and about as expected so far, but I do have a complaint already... I discovered that while watching a video on Hulu and Netflix, simply touching the trackpad (inadvertently while holding the remote) will cause the video to pause and move along the timeline. This is annoying and I hope it gets fixed or changed soon (or at least offer an option to disable this "feature"). I have to be careful not to touch the top of the remote.

• Reply 66 of 77
    I just did a chat with Apple support and they said you can pair a keyboard with the new Apple TV unlike previous notes that other people have posted.
  • Reply 67 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stuartf View Post

Not in the App Store for the UK there isn't so far.

Unless the name has changed?

Never in the UK. Has always been US only app

• Reply 68 of 77
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tadd View Post

I recall reading that you were supposed to pair the remote to the AppleTV by plugging the included lightning cable between the AppleTV and the remote. Did the AppleTV come with such a cable?

No, you heard wrong. You pair the remote by holding the Menu and + kets down at the same time until you get the ‘connected’ response on the screen. The lightening cable is for charging the remote only. 

• Reply 69 of 77
    Although the new Siri remote uses Bluetooth, you can also use an IR remote to control the new Apple TV.
  • Reply 70 of 77
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    If you are talking about trailers for movies in the cinema - I've had that on my uk Apple TV for ages. Have to check on the new one as nothing is downloaded as default.
  • Reply 71 of 77
    Coming from someone who never had an Apple TV and is really just interested in the Airplay feature, is it worth buying the new model or just buying the older generation? Im interested in knowing if there is less lag and a smoother picture flow.
  • Reply 72 of 77
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Why do people want this? WebTV was a horrible experience back in the 90s and it's a horrible experience today. If you need a web browser on your TV for some rare group interaction then use AirPlay from a Mac, iPhone or iPad so you can have a proper Input for it when using the TV has a second display.

Lol.  WebTV from the 90s.  That's your reasoning?  ATV4 is just another iOS device.  There are several good browsers on iOS.  The TV is just a bigger screen.  There's no reason to believe that browsing on an ATV4 would be horrible, much less comparable to WebTV of the 90s.  I can understand why people want to browse on the TV, not to mention kiosk-type scenarios.  

• Reply 73 of 77
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pauliesays View Post

Coming from someone who never had an Apple TV and is really just interested in the Airplay feature, is it worth buying the new model or just buying the older generation? Im interested in knowing if there is less lag and a smoother picture flow.

My guess is that lag, etc. has more to do with network performance than anything else.  I've never had issues with Airplay on my ATV3.  That said, if I were buying a new one today, I think I'd buy the ATV4 unless I was really tight on funds.  For $80 more, you get current tech, the App Store, etc.  While you might only want Airplay now, why not future proof for $80?

• Reply 74 of 77

Then why do my two UK Apple TV 3s have tiles or built in applications for trailers?

On ATV4 you now have to download a trailers app supplied by Apple. This is not available for the UK yet. It happens to be a feature I use a lot
  • Reply 75 of 77

Seriously Apple?  no support for even your own Bluetooth keyboard?  Not a big fan of Siri and frankly, I can type faster than I can talk and have Siri respond (not counting the various "I'm sorry, I didn't quite get that" responses).

Didn't find this out until I called apple tech support this afternoon, thinking I had done something wrong when trying to pair my Apple wireless keyboard.  Searched support, couldn't find anything.  Not until I called Apple Support was I told and led to a page indicating Bluetooth keyboards - that was in smaller and lighter colored text than the rest of the page.  The cherry on top here is that neither this support page nor Apple Support can provide any information on what Bluetooth devices the 4th Gen Apple TV supports/doesn't support.  I'm definitely not a Tea Party supporter, but I keep hearing Sarah Palin saying "Gotcha!"

The aforementioned support article:  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205302

• Reply 76 of 77
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member

I really like this gen 4  remote i think is awesome love siri search

i hooked up my plantronics earbud that i regularly use with my iPhone  pairing was a snap

to stop my earbud to listen from the tv   i turned off my earbud

BUT

unlike my iPhone i can't just disconnect my earbud i either have to turn off my earbud or

FORGET DEVICE   hope i don't have to pair every time   will investigate this

• Reply 77 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dachar View Post

I tried without luck as well to pair a BT keyboard. This seems unfortunate as i found with ATV 3 typing on a keyboard was so much easier than using the on screen move the curser select each letter method...

Have you tried Remote on an iPhone or iPad? It works well on our ATV 3s and gives you a keyboard whenever needed. I don't know if they updated the Remote app for ATV 4 or even if they need to do so... ?