How to control your TV volume with the new Apple TV Siri Remote

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited November 2015
The vastly improved Siri Remote that ships with the fourth-generation Apple TV includes dedicated volume buttons, which can be programmed to control volume levels on TVs and receivers, even via legacy infrared line-of-sight.

Some more modern HDTVs and receivers allow connected devices to control power and volume via the HDMI cable. Right out of the box, the new Apple TV is configured to support devices compatible with what is known as HDMI-CEC.

For older devices that don't support HDMI-CEC, users can program the Siri Remote to mimic their legacy remote and allow for volume control.

This can be set up by opening the tvOS Settings app, choosing Remotes and Devices and selecting Volume Control. From here, select Learn New Device...

Users can then grab their traditional TV or receiver remote control and point it at the Apple TV, and are instructed to hold the volume up and then volume down buttons. The infrared receiver built into the fourth-generation Apple TV will learn the remote commands for volume up and volume down.

After sending the proper commands, the Apple TV will ask the user to name their new remote for easy identification later.

Once the volume controls are programmed, the plus and minus buttons on the bottom right of the Siri Remote will now successfully adjust sound on a legacy TV or receiver, thanks to the infrared transmitter positioned on the front of the Apple TV remote.

For those with HDMI-CEC compatible TVs and receivers, control settings can also be customized through the "Remotes and Devices" menu under "Home Theater Control." There, users can enable or disable volume control and turning on and off of the TV when the Apple TV is put to sleep. If the connected accessory is not HDMI-CEC compatible, "Turn On Your TV with Your Remote" will be greyed out.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

Will it only control the volume of legacy IR TV? Or will it also control power, channel and source selection too?

• Reply 2 of 18
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Is there a way to use HDMI-CEC for volume control if the TV Speakers are not in use? I normally have my TV Output to my Soundbar, with TV Speakers disabled. No way to pass that through is there?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Just the question I was asking. Thanks for this Tip.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    is anyone having problems controlling a pioneer receiver?? before the new apple tv i was using a harmony...worked fine. now i can't get the new apple to to learn to volume buttons.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    apple tv controls my sony tv but not my pioneer receivers...even had it learn to remote and still nothing!
  • Reply 6 of 18
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    I think my bose cinemate supports HDMI-cec. Almost home, cant wait to install the new atv
  • Reply 7 of 18
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Will the new Apple TV automatically switch the TV's input source when an AirPlay mirroring connection is made?
  • Reply 8 of 18

You can also control the volume of an AirPlay receiver using the remotes +/- button without having to stop the video and make the adjustment.  So much easier than the ATV-3 remote!

• Reply 9 of 18
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Just works with my 2006 DLP with no set up .
  • Reply 10 of 18
    I had many issues with this today but was able to solve them.

My DirecTV remote controls my Onkyo receiver. I setup the remote by using my DirecTV remote and while it paired successfully, the volume buttons wasn't working. I ended up having to get out my actual Onkyo remote and set it up that way for it work, but it's going great now.

If anyone is having trouble, consider sending the signal with the manufacturer's remote versus a universal remote that's been coded properly.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Worked right out of the box with my Sony TV and Yamaha receiver. Sleeping the ATV turns the TV and receiver off. The ATV's volume buttons control the receiver.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    Since Apple Siri remote can learn volume control IR codes from an IR remote of the receiver or TV, using Apole TV4 as a proxy, why can't it use the same method to learn the ON/OFF IR codes from the same IR remote?

Apple TV4 has an IR transmitter, so there's nothing that prevents it to use the ON/OFF IR signal for the receiver and/or TV other than an artificial software limitation.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    sirozha wrote: »
    Since Apple Siri remote can learn volume control IR codes from an IR remote of the receiver or TV, using Apole TV4 as a proxy, why can't it use the same method to learn the ON/OFF IR codes from the same IR remote?

Apple TV4 has an IR transmitter, so there's nothing that prevents it to use the ON/OFF IR signal for the receiver and/or TV other than an artificial software limitation.

Since Apple claimed it is the only remote you'll ever need, surely there's a fix coming for this? ;-)
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Im trying to get the AppleTV remote to learn this Bose remote. Havent been able to fiqure it out all day. Also I wish there was a way to easily switch between the audio outs ...bluetooth vs internal HDMI out. As it stands you have to go into settings and forget the audio device.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Mine automatically did it for my TV, however setting up with my iPhone bluetooth for wifi settings and Apple ID does not work even when I restarted my phone. The Apple TV never shows up under bluetooth
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Also finding that volume on a Pioneer receiver does not work with the Gen 4 Appletv remote
  • Reply 17 of 18

I don't believe the current OS supports IR volume control for Pioneer receivers. I hope they fix this with an update. Also, I have found the HDMI switching on my Pioneer receiver doesn't play well with Apple TV 4, since I regularly experience flickering picture and sound when I first fire everything up. The only remedy is to switch through my Pioneer receiver's HDMI inputs to reset the switch to the Apple TV. So far, I am pretty underwhelmed. 

• Reply 18 of 18
    The Siri Remote works like charm with the TV (Samsung) for volume and on/off. 

Also works fine with a Bluetooth paired Bose SoundTouch 20 (gen III) although it no longer supports "real" AirPlay. Automatically connects with the Apple TV 4 and I can use either remote (Bose or Siri Remote) to adjust the volume of the Bose speakers - and see a visual volume bar on the TV corresponding to the Bose volume. 

BUT, today suddenly I couldn't control volume on the Samsung TV with the Siri Remote. I tried all kinds of stuff (recharging repairing reboot etc) but no luck at first. Turned on the Bose speakers and then I could suddenly control volume of the Bose speakers with the Siri Remote... 

Finally went in to Apple TV settings (again) and toggled the TV remote settings on and off a couple of times. Left it at "automatic" and then it worked again- I could control Samsung  TV volume. Seems like maybe I shut down the system with sound running though Bose/Bluetooth and then the volume on tv couldn't be controlled when starting without BT and it stayed that way (bug?).