Apple throws support behind Houston equal rights initiative

Comments

• Reply 61 of 301
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, I didn’t say anything about this specific legislation. I said the legislation that exists already is sufficient to describe equal rights under the law for all groups, and thus no further laws are necessary. Indeed, there are too many laws passed in the name of “equality” which specifically exist to discriminate. Those should be repealed.

Okay, what legislation exists to protect LGBT people in Houston, outside of this legislation, from being discriminated against in housing, employment, schooling, etc.?  Please, be specific, because there's nothing in Texas state law that prevents such discrimination.

• Reply 62 of 301
    "Also, I'd appreciate a hell of a lot more focus from Tim on Apple products, since it looks like more than just a few of us have been disappointed or surprised by recent decisions or product releases that have not met or exceeded expectations."

Apple's quarterly results do not seem to bear out that disappointment by recent decisions or product releases.
  • Reply 63 of 301
    That worked so well in the south, didn't it?  For ever person who refused to eat at a whites-only restaurant, there were probably three Klansmen who made it a point to eat there.

Quote:

Your "kind"?  What kind is that?  The Houston Equal Rights Ordinance (“HERO”) prohibits discrimination based on sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age,familial status, marital status, military status, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity and pregnancy. If your you're denied access to a restroom because you are cisgender, paid less because you are a man, not hired because you're Christian, or denied a raise because you're not pregnant, this law protects you if the discrimination took place in Houston.

I have a dream that one day white, heterosexual, cisgendered, Christian men will be able to use public restrooms without fear of being attacked and ridiculed. 

I have a dream that one day white, heterosexual, cisgendered, Christian men will be allowed to play golf on those lush green courses beside their black, lesbian, transgendered, atheist sisters.

I have a dream that one day white, heterosexual, cisgendered, Christian men will be able to board a plane without everyone suspecting they are terrorists. 

I have a dream that one day white, heterosexual, cisgendered, Christian men will be paid as much as Hispanic women doing the same job. 

I have a dream that one day governments, businesses and schools will honor those Christian holidays that are so important to white, heterosexual, cisgendered, Christian men.

I have a dream that one day our citizens will rise up to proudly elect a white, heterosexual, cisgendered, Christian man to lead our great nation.

You're delusional.

Name the groups to which you allege this legislation grants "special rights" and enumerate the rights.

There are hardly any Klansmen left, at least according to Wikipedia. Look it up for yourself.
  • Reply 64 of 301
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    There are hardly any Klansmen left, at least according to Wikipedia. Look it up for yourself.

Well they 'were' the southern democrats. But as we all know after Kennedy and Johnson desegregated the south they changed parties and morphed and today they are the ....

They just don't wear pointy white hats today, well not in public anyway.
  • Reply 65 of 301
    "Also, I'd appreciate a hell of a lot more focus from Tim on Apple products, since it looks like more than just a few of us have been disappointed or surprised by recent decisions or product releases that have not met or exceeded expectations."

Apple's quarterly results do not seem to bear out that disappointment by recent decisions or product releases.

Well said!
  • Reply 66 of 301
    Well they 'were' the southern democrats. But as we all know after Kennedy and Johnson desegregated the south they changed parties and morphed and today they are the ....

They just don't wear pointy white hats today, well not in public anyway.

I find racism and other forms of collectivism offensive, however no laws will ever be passed which will prevent a person from being ignorant.
  • Reply 67 of 301
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Beg to differ but those of us that have zero interest in any religion and get called atheists for some reason (as if a collective noun is required for someone who simply doesn't believe in mythology) seem to get the short end of the stick in America.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred Maxwell View Post

That worked so well in the south, didn't it?  For ever person who refused to eat at a whites-only restaurant, there were probably three Klansmen who made it a point to eat there.

Quote:

Your "kind"?  What kind is that?  The Houston Equal Rights Ordinance (“HERO”) prohibits discrimination based on sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age,familial status, marital status, military status, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity and pregnancy. If your you're denied access to a restroom because you are cisgender, paid less because you are a man, not hired because you're Christian, or denied a raise because you're not pregnant, this law protects you if the discrimination took place in Houston.

I have a dream that one day white, heterosexual, cisgendered, Christian men will be able to use public restrooms without fear of being attacked and ridiculed. 

I have a dream that one day white, heterosexual, cisgendered, Christian men will be allowed to play golf on those lush green courses beside their black, lesbian, transgendered, atheist sisters.

I have a dream that one day white, heterosexual, cisgendered, Christian men will be able to board a plane without everyone suspecting they are terrorists. 

I have a dream that one day white, heterosexual, cisgendered, Christian men will be paid as much as Hispanic women doing the same job. 

I have a dream that one day governments, businesses and schools will honor those Christian holidays that are so important to white, heterosexual, cisgendered, Christian men.

I have a dream that one day our citizens will rise up to proudly elect a white, heterosexual, cisgendered, Christian man to lead our great nation.

You're delusional.

Name the groups to which you allege this legislation grants "special rights" and enumerate the rights.

I appears you spend most of your life in a dream state. Time to wake up.

• Reply 68 of 301
    I find racism and other forms of collectivism offensive, however no laws will ever be passed which will prevent a person from being ignorant.

No argument there. Education is the only answer and travel helps a great deal.
  • Reply 69 of 301
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I find the people that are the most ignorant the the ones that get deep into any of these "movements". They seem to be breeding grounds for the most extreme people. I truly believe that most of us do not judge people based on their skin color, sexual preference, religion. Most of these decisive issues are driven by these groups that wouldn't exist if they didn't ramp up tension. 

Most of these groups raise funds by trying to explode issues. 

• Reply 70 of 301
    atlapple wrote: »

I find the people that are the most ignorant the the ones that get deep into any of these "movements". They seem to be breeding grounds for the most extreme people. I truly believe that most of us do not judge people based on their skin color, sexual preference, religion. Most of these decisive issues are driven by these groups that wouldn't exist if they didn't ramp up tension. 

And yet you to tell those of us of that same opinion to wake up?
  • Reply 71 of 301
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member
    slurpy wrote: »
    These "Apple products now suck because Tim (and Apple) care about social issues" posts are so tiresome, disingenuous, intellectually dishonest, and frankly pathetic in their intent. I mean.. really? I know you're smarter than that, and that you KNOW that this stuff has ZERO bearing on Apple's internal product decisions. Or do you think that Apple's coders are marching in Gay Pride parades instead of doing their work? There's no logic at all to your statement, and the worst thing is that I KNOW that you know that, as most of your posts are intelligent. I know you have certain political views, but try not to take this low hanging fruit of this kind of dishonest argument. 
    They're marching in Gay Pride AND doing their work. I'm a white heterosexual male and I love that Apple is using its platform to spread such a positive message. Tim Cook said basically all these dodos who want to not buy Apple because they don't like that Apple is spending extra money on green energy, or fools who would discriminate based on sexual orientation, can basically go buy a Dell or Surface Book or some shit. It makes me even more loyal to the brand because I feel I'm supporting a positive world movement by supporting Apple in using its corporate power for something good for the world... It's the same idea as Starbucks buying Fair Trade coffee, but Apples approach has soul too, and it's not just an economic issue. But Microsoft supports this same idea that LGBT folks are entitled to their Civil Rights, so where you gonna go guys?
  • Reply 72 of 301
    Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

There is a class of colored people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs–partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances because they do not want to lose their jobs.

– Booker T. Washington

• Reply 73 of 301
    latifbp wrote: »
    They're marching in Gay Pride AND doing their work. I'm a white heterosexual male and I love that Apple is using its platform to spread such a positive message. Tim Cook said basically all these dodos who want to not buy Apple because they don't like that Apple is spending extra money on green energy, or fools who would discriminate based on sexual orientation, can basically go buy a Dell or Surface Book or some shit. It makes me even more loyal to the brand because I feel I'm supporting a positive world movement by supporting Apple in using its corporate power for something good for the world... It's the same idea as Starbucks buying Fair Trade coffee, but Apples approach has soul too, and it's not just an economic issue. But Microsoft supports this same idea that LGBT folks are entitled to their Civil Rights, so where you gonna go guys?

Great post. :smokey:
  • Reply 74 of 301
        There is a class of colored people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs–partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances because they do not want to lose their jobs.
        – Booker T. Washington

... and so what? That proves something? There are splinter groups in every facet of life. Heck we have Senators contacting Iran and telling them not to trust the POTUS!
  • Reply 75 of 301

That proves something?

What he’s saying, yes.

...There are splinter groups...

There is a class of colored people...

OH HEY LOOK AT THAT.

• Reply 76 of 301
    What he’s saying, yes.

OH HEY LOOK AT THAT.

Come on, you know what I am saying. There are always those that exploit every conceivable situation there is. The trick is to not let those that do, distract you from the larger truth.
  • Reply 77 of 301

The trick is to not let those that do, distract you from the larger truth.

Oh, I haven’t. The problem is there’s a large sector devoted to doing just that to the population overall.

• Reply 79 of 301
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What I wrote was "That worked so well in the south, didn't it?  For ever person who refused to eat at a whites-only restaurant, there were probably three Klansmen who made it a point to eat there."  See all of those boldface words?  Those are what English speakers refer to as "past tense." It means things that happened prior to the present, not ongoing things.

The Klansmen are few and far between now because the Civil Rights Act meant that their movement lost.  It's hard to recruit new members to fight for your side once you have lost the war.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

I appears you spend most of your life in a dream state. Time to wake up.

I told you to name the groups to which you allege this legislation grants "special rights" and enumerate the rights.  You could not do so.  That's speaks louder than the childish tripe with which you replied.

• Reply 80 of 301
    Quote:

And yet you to tell those of us of that same opinion to wake up?

Fred was a bit over the top, I can only read "I have a dream" so many times. We have reached a point in this country where it's hard to take any "movement" seriously. We have people like Al Sharpton that needs one or two blacks to get shot just to keep the bills paid. We have the "Black Lives Matters" that only cares about black lives when it's black criminals being shot by police. Funny how they refuse to acknowledge that most black lives are taken by other blacks and the biggest killer of blacks in America is abortion. 

They care so much about black lives they encourage them to riot, destroying their own communities to the point of burning them to the ground. I always find it interesting to watch them carry their signs about black lives while they are setting their entire community on fire and stealing from innocent store owners. 

At the democratic debate all the candidates were asked do black lives matter or do all lives matter and not one of them could gather the courage to say all lives matter. That is beyond pathetic and shows these moments do nothing but divide a nation.

This is just one example there are many more. 

As for gay rights, different situation yet in many cases the same. Take the most extreme people, try to apply political pressure and raise as much money as possible by trying to divide people. Courts don't change the hearts and minds of people, the same people that were against gay marriage before the SCOTUS ruling were the same people afterwards. Our court system doesn't resolve conflict they make it worse. That nut job Kim Davis the court clerk is a perfect example. Some woman that has been married 3-4 times casting judgement on people that just want to get married. 

She was elected to do a job yet when she doesn't do it she gains national attention. All of these groups feed on keeping people divided, angry and offended, if everyone actually got along and would respect each other even when we are different then they would be out of business. Lets face it spreading hate is a really good money maker.