Microsoft makes across-the-board downgrades to OneDrive storage options, ditches unlimited tiers

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Unlimited is NOT unlimited when it comes to storage space. 

So what does "unlimited" mean then?

• Reply 42 of 54

Personally, I'm happy with my unlimited 1TB iCloud storage.

• Reply 43 of 54
    You know what is sick, Dropbox, in my opinion the best, because of device to device update speed, has the lowest free GB, which sucks, but now I understand why... in addition, being fast to update files makes some people want to pay for their service not quite there yet but getting there. I would say as far as who keeps all files in sync, when waking up going from laptop to waking laptop, desktop to waking laptop, would be:

1. Dropbox
    2. Google Drive
    3 iCloud
    4. OneDrive

And this is important! (2 & 3 are kinda close). Space is really kinda 2nd place in my mind.
  • Reply 44 of 54
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,374member
    sog35 wrote: »
    But does dropbox seamlessly backup your device OS like your iPhone/iPad?

I don't trust Google Drive. Pretty sure they scan all the data.
    You already know for a fact that Apple does. What's the concern?
  • Reply 45 of 54
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,001member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    sog35 wrote: »
    But does dropbox seamlessly backup your device OS like your iPhone/iPad?

I don't trust Google Drive. Pretty sure they scan all the data.

Dropbox scans to make sure one isn't sharing copyrighted material. Here's how it's done.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/179495-how-dropbox-knows-youre-a-dirty-pirate-and-why-you-shouldnt-use-cloud-storage-to-share-copyrighted-files
  • Reply 46 of 54
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rezwits View Post

You know what is sick, Dropbox, in my opinion the best, because of device to device update speed, has the lowest free GB, which sucks, but now I understand why... in addition, being fast to update files makes some people want to pay for their service not quite there yet but getting there. I would say as far as who keeps all files in sync, when waking up going from laptop to waking laptop, desktop to waking laptop, would be:

1. Dropbox

2. Google Drive

3 iCloud

4. OneDrive

And this is important! (2 & 3 are kinda close). Space is really kinda 2nd place in my mind.

I wouldn't rely on Google for any service .... NEVER.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Could you show me proofs Apple is scanning our data ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Dropbox scans to make sure one isn't sharing copyrighted material. Here's how it's done.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/179495-how-dropbox-knows-youre-a-dirty-pirate-and-why-you-shouldnt-use-cloud-storage-to-share-copyrighted-files

Microsoft also scans data stored in OneDrive. There are several cases of users that got they account banned for "illegal" contents (even for private nude pictures !).

I don't think Apple is scanning data in iCloud.

• Reply 47 of 54
    maxit wrote: »

Could you show me proofs Apple is scanning our data ?

Microsoft also scans data stored in OneDrive. There are several cases of users that got they account banned for "illegal" contents (even for private nude pictures !).
    I don't think Apple is scanning data in iCloud.

You seem to think it's an invasion of privacy if MS scans user files, even going so far as to removing objectionable content. Would it change your perception at all to find Apple does the same scanning? Few people actually read the TOS for anything as they make them so lengthy so I'll pluck this one out for you..

From iCloud Terms of Service:

"You acknowledge that Apple is not responsible or liable in any way for any Content provided by others and has no duty to pre-screen such Content. However, Apple reserves the right at all times to determine whether Content is appropriate and in compliance with this Agreement, and may pre-screen, move, refuse, modify and/or remove Content at any time, without prior notice and in its sole discretion, if such Content is found to be in violation of this Agreement or is otherwise objectionable."

http://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/icloud/en/terms.html

So will scanning of your uploaded files still be one of your talking points?
  • Reply 48 of 54
    By the way and slightly off-topic: Here's something you won't see everyday. Red Hat sleeping with Microsoft!

http://www.networkworld.com/article/3001391/microsoft-subnet/what-s-behind-the-odd-couple-microsoft-red-hat-partnership.html
  • Reply 49 of 54
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You seem to think it's an invasion of privacy if MS scans user files, even going so far as to removing objectionable content. Would it change your perception at all to find Apple does the same scanning? Few people actually read the TOS for anything as they make them so lengthy so I'll pluck this one out for you..

From iCloud Terms of Service:

"You acknowledge that Apple is not responsible or liable in any way for any Content provided by others and has no duty to pre-screen such Content. However, Apple reserves the right at all times to determine whether Content is appropriate and in compliance with this Agreement, and may pre-screen, move, refuse, modify and/or remove Content at any time, without prior notice and in its sole discretion, if such Content is found to be in violation of this Agreement or is otherwise objectionable."

http://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/icloud/en/terms.html

So will scanning of your uploaded files still be one of your talking points?

you are twisting the meaning of those Terms ....

Your data are encrypted in iCloud , and that is about contents provided by their parties NON scanned by Apple.

• Reply 50 of 54
    maxit wrote: »

you are twisting the meaning of those Terms ....
    Your data are encrypted in iCloud , and that is about contents provided by their parties NON scanned by Apple.
    You sentence is not at all clear. What do you mean by "contents provided by their parties NON scanned by Apple"?

If I've paid proper attention I think this is how it works. No doubt I'll be quickly corrected if it's wrong. Apple encrypts your iCloud data in storage but they encrypt it using their own key, not your private passcode. That means they are able to decrypt it for purposes permitted under their Terms of Service, up to and including by government request. (Doesn't mean they'll comply with every request). While Apple doesn't have the keys to unlock data on your personal terrestrial device, they can access what you've uploaded to iCloud, and Apple specifically says they have the right to. In fact they go further than some other cloud providers and tell you they may remove any content they deem offensive, without further defining the term. Logically if they deem it offensive they must have "seen" it. By the way scanning is generally done by machines not people. There's no person sifting thru pictures and docs on any of the cloud services. That would be far too big a job for humans to do.

You could of course turn off syncing so that there is no backup of your data in the cloud. Otherwise don't misread "encryption" as meaning Apple cannot read/scan/access content you have uploaded to iCloud. They publish their TOS for a reason.

This document does a fair job of discussing the types of data Apple can see if it wishes and what it cannot.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20140715170216/http://www.apple.com/legal/more-resources/law-enforcement/
  • Reply 51 of 54
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I didn't even know about the unlimited option. Though it doesn't matter, the 1TB option is more than suffice. I have about 200 movies stored on their servers and another 600 on Google Drive. Though I prefer OneDrive, in fact it's still my favorite Cloud storage service out of all of them and the fastest. I can upload a 2GB file in about 4 minutes, Google takes about 12 minutes and iCloud over 30. I think it has a lot to do with the location of the ser vers, where both Microsoft an Google have data centers in Switzerland, Apple's are in Ireland for tax reasons. Since that haven I closing for them, hopefully they'll build a data center close to me in the future, no hurry though, I'm fine without it.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    cali wrote: »
    I wonder if Apple can exploit this somehow and gain users?

How, Apple doesn't support iCloud on any other platform than their own and there is neither a financial or feature reason to change. I do however recommend people using Flickr to store their photos over OneDrive, even iCloud, it's simply the best photo storage there is, period. I sync photos on my iPad almost 10x faster than iCloud, it's crazy fast. Plus their online tools are just fantastic. Videos or films, definitely Google Drive, their online streaming app for your stored videos is simply the best, plus the added bonus of being able to stream your videos directly to your TV from the Chrome browser, super cool. It also converts video files on the fly, so if your movies are stored as divx or mkv, no problem. The fastest cloud storage though is Mega, they also give you 50GB for free. Check it out, it will blow away any cloud service your currently using in both upload and download speeds. The also have clients for iOS, OSX, Windows, Android and even Linux, 50GB!
  • Reply 53 of 54
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,669member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

How, Apple doesn't support iCloud on any other platform than their own 

There is iCloud support including drive for Windows.  Don't know how well it works.  But for iOS users it is worth looking in to.