Time Warner Cable to trial TV packages for Internet-only subscribers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

I really don't see the point of cable companies offering live streaming on devices such as Roku and Apple TV. The majority of people in the U.S. have data caps. What is really the advantage of having a streaming service on Apple TV versus just having a cable box/satellite receiver? 

???  If they offer the right programming options you can pay for what you actually will use.  AppleTV would typically run through WIFI so not sure what you mean by data caps.  Data caps are on phone/tablet plans not WIFI for home unless the user is using phone for WIFI hotspot...The future is watch what you want when you want and pay a fair price for it.  In my home we watch TV on TV's(of course), laptops, computers, iPads and iPhones.  Why tie yourself to a TV and cable/satellite box that has a horrible interface?  Again not sure where you are going with this.

• Reply 22 of 40
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post

???  If they offer the right programming options you can pay for what you actually will use.  AppleTV would typically run through WIFI so not sure what you mean by data caps.  Data caps are on phone/tablet plans not WIFI for home unless the user is using phone for WIFI hotspot...The future is watch what you want when you want and pay a fair price for it.  In my home we watch TV on TV's(of course), laptops, computers, iPads and iPhones.  Why tie yourself to a TV and cable/satellite box that has a horrible interface?  Again not sure where you are going with this.

That won't be happening anytime soon. People want a la carte programming, but there is no incentive at this point for cable companies to offer that. It's not cost effective. What are you talking about? People are using wifi from their home internet plan. There are data caps on broadband internet service. I have no issues with the interface on Directv receivers. Another issue is data speeds. The average data speed in the U.S. is 11.9 mbps. If one person is streaming a live HD show, internet will be too slow for others to use. 

I see what you are saying, but that's not what this is. It's just the same packages TWC offers, but you can subscribe online instead. My whole point is what's the advantage of that? There isn't one. Now if cable companies start offering a la carte programming, that's a different story. But a la carte programming won't be happening anytime soon. 

• Reply 23 of 40
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

That won't be happening anytime soon. People want a la carte programming, but there is no incentive at this point for cable companies to offer that. It's not cost effective. What are you talking about? People are using wifi from their home internet plan. There are data caps on broadband internet service. I have no issues with the interface on Directv receivers. Another issue is data speeds. The average data speed in the U.S. is 11.9 mbps. If one person is streaming a live HD show, internet will be too slow for others to use. 

I see what you are saying, but that's not what this is. It's just the same packages TWC offers, but you can subscribe online instead. My whole point is what's the advantage of that? There isn't one. Now if cable companies start offering a la carte programming, that's a different story. But a la carte programming won't be happening anytime soon. 

Agreed.  Most in this thread seem to think this is the dam breaking (finally), but it's not.  It's just bundled cable over the Internet.

• Reply 24 of 40
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Beside local channels which you can get for free with OTA antenna and sports, I don't see any other LIVE TV relevant to users. Everything can be accessed in providers' archives: 1 example: HBO NOW/GO.
  • Reply 25 of 40

More bundles. Why can't you just pick what channels you want and pay based on how much they cost the carrier. I.e. $7/month to get ESPN & ESPN 2.

• Reply 26 of 40
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    What I don't get is why are they limiting it to one device. I mean what needs be done other than validating that someone is a subscriber. then access works on all apps that need one to be a subscriber. right?

So it sounds like it's a server side issue not a device issue. If they want to limit it for testing purposes it seems like testing an area and all possible connections is more logical. Otherwise you could run into issues when you expand the device list and the system doesn't scale.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

And so it begins.

Just wait till AppleTV4 has a user base of 20-30 million.  

All the people who hate on AppleTV4 for little nitpicks have no VISION at all.

Here's hoping (I think you're right!) :)

We have an AppleTV planning on getting the new one shortly. We also have HBOGO or NOW (Can never remember!) Paying $14.95/mo. for mainly watching Bill Maher/RealTime and maybe a movie now and again or a couple of series. 

I pay $1 per episode for CNN's Fareed Zakaria's GPS...that's about as much "television" as I can stomach. :)

• Reply 28 of 40
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 wrote: »

Agree.  Right now Big Cable is scrambling trying to find an answer.  It is good to see they are at least worried.  The other markets Apple buried didn't take them seriously.  And then they failed.  The question I have will the cable companies respond in time and with enough power to compete with Apple???  Only time will tell but I have a pretty good idea.

cable companies should cooperate with Apple not compete.

Look at Nike, Disney, ect.  The companies that cooperate with Apple thrive.

How do you suggest they cooperate with Apple? What Apple is supposedly working on competes directly with them.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    boriscleto wrote: »
    More bundles. Why can't you just pick what channels you want and pay based on how much they cost the carrier. I.e. $7/month to get ESPN & ESPN 2.

Why doesn't Apple just sell you an iPhone for what it costs them?
  • Reply 30 of 40
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,066member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by toddzrx View Post

Agreed.  Most in this thread seem to think this is the dam breaking (finally), but it's not.  It's just bundled cable over the Internet.

Dam isn't breaking, but I think I see a crack.

• Reply 31 of 40
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

They will probably remove the data caps on internet TV packages.

IT can happen. T-mobile rumor says it will allow no data limit streaming to Netfilx, HBO, etc. So, winning recipe for cable companies like timewarner who also provide internet access service is to offer streaming package that don't have Data cap and good buffering. Ala carte package is nice but a distance dream.It can happen if those streaming service provider like netfilx, Apple(future), etc also produce lot more contents and make cross-deal with other streaming, cable, contents companies so streaming companies have enough to create ala-carte packages that people will like/buy/subscribe.

• Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boriscleto View Post

It'll eventually get there. Production companies will sidestep the existing distribution channels entirely and offer their product directly to subscribers via iTunes or other competitors. The "new distribution channels" will fund the creation of the more costly productions instead of relying on advertising, as is currently done with Netflix, Amazon, Crackle, etc.

• Reply 33 of 40

FWIW, TWC doesn't have data caps for their internet.  Comcast may be adding it, AT&T already has it but TWC specifically does NOT have a data cap on home internet.  If they keep it that way and offer TV over-IP they are going to hit a big market and pull people back in from AT&T, Verizon, etc.  Frankly I love my TWC internet, they bumped me up to 200/20 and didn't charge me a cent more so I'm only paying $55 for that service and there's no data cap *knock on wood*

I still wouldn't use them for TV, horrible customer service and awful prices.

• Reply 34 of 40
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Cable cutting still doesn't work for us.  Maybe TWC will have a la carte selection of shows and networks as part of their new service.  That would be nice.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    mstone wrote: »
    I bet TWC's streaming service won't buffer, stall or pixelate like other streaming services viewed using TWC broadband.
    mstone wrote: »
    I bet TWC's streaming service won't buffer, stall or pixelate like other streaming services viewed using TWC broadband.

Bingo. It does already. Have TWC app on my Roku and its so compressed that HD TV looks like it has a blur filter applied and watching sports like hockey is a pixelated mess. My internet speed is at least 15 Mbps so they are definitely screwing with the IPTV feed.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Someone posted here:

--"True, most people don't even realize the iPod didn't even play music when it was released!"----

Bullshit!! It's interface ONLY Played audio files.

The only thing you could put in it was MUSIC AND since it was an actual bootable HD..You could ALSO could use it as a 5GB storage device!

2002 - I had the FIRST 5GB Firewire iPod. LCD Screen. White with white the scroll wheel.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    blewvelvet wrote: »
    Someone posted here:

--"True, most people don't even realize the iPod didn't even play music when it was released!"----

Bullshit!! It's interface ONLY Played audio files.

The only thing you could put in it was MUSIC AND since it was an actual bootable HD..You could ALSO could use it as a 5GB storage device!

2002 - I had the FIRST 5GB Firewire iPod. LCD Screen. White with white the scroll wheel.

I-ro-ny?
  • Reply 38 of 40

Time warner Cable ensures that you have the suitable equipment to take advantage of your Internet service level. It also provides you with 24/7 support, free trouble calls and required replacements and upgrades.

• Reply 39 of 40
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Lang View Post

Time warner Cable ensures that you have the suitable equipment to take advantage of your Internet service level. It also provides you with 24/7 support, free trouble calls and required replacements and upgrades.

I much prefer to bring suitable equipment and not rent theirs. I save so much money across the whole year by doing this. I still get the 24/7 support, free trouble calls. The required replacements thing has never happened in all the years I've had a TWC subscription. Maybe that's because I get Internet-only and stream video from Netflix, hulu and others.