Flickr, Mobile Mouse are latest apps to add support for iPhone 6s 3D Touch

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2015
Third-party apps continue to adds support for Apple's 3D Touch input on the new iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, including updates that launched on Thursday for popular apps Flickr and Mobile Mouse Remote.

Flickr

The free Flickr 4.0.6 adds support for both iOS 9 and 3D Touch. Owners of the latest iPhone 6s lineup can now preview photos, people, notifications and more with a light press.

When previewing a photo in camera roll, users can move their finger left or right to quickly page through neighboring photos. Press harder on the selected photo to "pop" it to full-screen.

3D Touch has also been added to the app's icon, allowing users to quickly jump to commonly used features from their home screen.

For all other devices running iOS 9, Flickr has also gained Spotlight Search support, allowing users to find albums, groups, and recently viewed items without opening the app. There is also support for universal links that open the app directly, instead of through Safari.

Mobile Mouse Remote

Also updated Thursday was the $1.99 app Mobile Mouse Remote, with version 3.3.4 also adding support for iOS 9 and the iPhone 6s lineup. It too adds quick access to commonly used features with a firm press on the app's icon.

The new Mobile Mouse Remote also turns the entire iPhone display into a pressure-sensitive trackpad. This allows users to use an iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus just like the pressure-sensing Force Touch trackpad on Apple's latest MacBook models.

3D Touch support also includes a glow that respond to touch pressure. And when using the Mobile Mouse Remote application switcher, users can push down on an icon to bring up the option menu for that app.

Finally, the new update uses 3D Touch to offer pressure sensitive drawing without the need for a pressure sensitive stylus. Users can utilize their finger or just a plain stylus to draw in their favorite graphics apps on OS X.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3

Not to take away from developers, but mobile mouse can just as easily be a free Apple app.

• Reply 2 of 3

I just purchased Mobile Mouse app based on this article and wanted to state that the 3D touch features included in the app do not give it the same abilities as a Force Touch trackpad. The user can press on the screen for a single left click, but the app does not recognize the second, harder Force Press. Additionally, there is no taptic feedback as one gets from a Force Touch trackpad. Perhaps the article should be clarified before more users purchase this app based on incorrect information.

• Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisjaber View Post

I just purchased Mobile Mouse app based on this article and wanted to state that the 3D touch features included in the app do not give it the same abilities as a Force Touch trackpad. The user can press on the screen for a single left click, but the app does not recognize the second, harder Force Press. Additionally, there is no taptic feedback as one gets from a Force Touch trackpad. Perhaps the article should be clarified before more users purchase this app based on incorrect information.

They haven't added true force touch or haptic feedback because Apple hasn't exposed this functionality to the developers yet, is what they told me. But I've owned this app a long time and the developers are always on top of things like this so I'm sure they will offer it as soon as it's available.