Three new malware strains infect 20k apps, impossible to wipe, only affect Android

1356789

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 166
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    DEVICE replacement? Yikes that's harsh.
  • Reply 42 of 166
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post





    *sound of head banging on table



    that's because you are projecting...

  • Reply 44 of 166



    You never read what you post, don't you?



    Quote:

    "Bekrar suggested however that Apple will likely patch the related iOS holes in "a few weeks to a few months," and that the bounty is actually a credit to Apple's work.



    "This challenge is one of the best advertisements for Apple as it has confirmed once again that iOS security is real and not just about marketing," he said. "No software other than iOS really deserves such a high bug bounty.""



    "No software other than iOS really deserves such a high bug bounty."

    I wonder why is that? If iOS security had been lax, it would be stupid to offer such a large sum of money. 



    Quickly, gatorguy, cue in talks about

    1) him being paid by Apple

    2) conspiracy !!!!

  • Reply 45 of 166
    Android is a joke for security. It will NEVER even begin to approach iOS, no matter what band-aids Google uses to stop the bleeding.
  • Reply 46 of 166
    idreyidrey Posts: 640member
    In the other thread I was starting to have hopes for android. This just killed my hopes. It didn't even last
    An hour. SMH
  • Reply 47 of 166
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,282member

    You never read what you post, don't you?

    Quote:
    Bekrar suggested however that Apple will likely patch the related iOS holes in "a few weeks to a few months," and that the bounty is actually a credit to Apple's work. "This challenge is one of the best advertisements for Apple as it has confirmed once again that iOS security is real and not just about marketing," he said. "No software other than iOS really deserves such a high bug bounty.

    "No software other than iOS really deserves such a high bug bounty."

    I wonder why is that?
    Oh geez. . . I suggested an answer for that over there too. You're the one not reading what I wrote.
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/189911/team-claims-1-million-bounty-for-remotely-jailbreaking-ios-9-1-9-2/40#post_2801422
    If you see some reason to continue can we do it in the proper thread please?
  • Reply 48 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post





    Oh geez. . . I suggested an answer for that over there too. You're the one not reading what I wrote.

    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/189911/team-claims-1-million-bounty-for-remotely-jailbreaking-ios-9-1-9-2/40#post_2801422

    If you see some reason to continue can we do it in the proper thread please?



    Then why did you post that link in this thread and not in the one you deem appropriate in the first place?

    HypocrisyGator strikes again...



    1. Do something

    2. wait intil someone does the same

    3. criticize that person for what he had done, even though that was identical to what you did before.

    4. Rinse, repeat.

  • Reply 49 of 166
    I had a girl show me an iPhone at Best Buy tell me that she liked her Android better because she is not limited to just one store.
  • Reply 50 of 166
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member

    LOL...so this is only a problem if you turn off a major security feature of Android. Yet, all the iOS fan boys will be screaming to anyone that listens..."See, android isn't secure!!"

     

    Meanwhile, whenever iOS malware pops up from third party sites that you have to jailbreak your phone to get at, they say that isn't an issue because you shouldn't jailbreak because it is a security risk and that isn't how the phone ships.

     

    Hypocrite, thy name is iOS fan boy.

     

    -kpluck

  • Reply 51 of 166
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

     

    LOL...so this is only a problem if you turn off a major security feature of Android. Yet, all the iOS fan boys will be screaming to anyone that listens..."See, android isn't secure!!"

     

    Meanwhile, whenever iOS malware pops up from third party sites that you have to jailbreak your phone to get at, they say that isn't an issue because you shouldn't jailbreak because it is a security risk and that isn't how the phone ships.

     

    Hypocrite, thy name is iOS fan boy.

     

    -kpluck




    That's not true tho. Most Android phones ship open to permissively downloading apps. Also, checking a box is not really the same as going out of your way to jailbreak a phone.

     

    If what you were saying were true, there would be no difference between iOS and Android security. That's not true at all. 

  • Reply 52 of 166
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,282member

    That's not true tho. Most Android phones ship open to permissively downloading apps.
    You have it backwards, perhaps unintentionally. The Google Android default is to deny the installation of apps that aren't coming from Google Play. A user would have to know where the setting to turn it off is, and then check off the Google warning that pops up about doing so. I don't think most users ever change the defaults their phone came with whether using iOS or Google Android.

    1000

    Then after that you have to know where to look for an APK file you probably downloaded and need to actually install the app Google is urging caution with. It's not the simple "check box and done" you seem to be implying and certainly not with Google's encouragement.
  • Reply 53 of 166
    gatorguy wrote: »
    You have it backwards, perhaps unintentionally. The Google Android default is to deny the installation of apps that aren't coming from Google Play. A user would have to know where the setting to turn it off is, and then check off the Google warning that pops up about doing so. I don't think most users ever change the defaults their phone came with whether using iOS or Google Android.

    Then after that you have to know where to look for an APK file you probably downloaded and need to actually install the app Google is urging caution with. It's not the simple "check box and done" you seem to be implying and certainly not with Google's encouragement.

    That may be true regarding the minority of nexus phones sold in the USA, but "most" android phones are literally sold in a country that can't access Google Play.

    Beyond that, your specious arguments are ridiculous. Your up and down denials of reality don't make any Android's serious problems go away.

    Google defined android as a freedom platform where nobody has any control and there's no standards for hardware. What resulted is what's being observed now. It's a mess and Google is scrambling to undo everything it created to copy Apple instead. But it doesn't even have the control to do this.
  • Reply 54 of 166
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,282member
    That may be true regarding the minority of nexus phones sold in the USA, but "most" android phones are literally sold in a country that can't access Google Play.
    That warning screen and default denial for installing non-market apps applies to all Google Android phones, upwards of a billion of 'em. You honestly thought it was only a few Nexus models? I tend to doubt that but perhaps you aren't as schooled on Android features and settings as I thought so benefit of the doubt then sir.
  • Reply 55 of 166
    from [I]The Troll's Guide to AppleInsider Forums, vol. 2:[/I]

    [quote]The best way to defend Google's security issues is to draw attention to Apple's. Failing that, an acceptable approach is to make sweeping generalizations about "all operating systems." As a last resort, you can defend Google by attacking the source, the site, or the author of the article.[/quote]
  • Reply 56 of 166
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,004moderator
    gatorguy wrote: »
    That warning screen and default denial for installing non-market apps applies to all Google Android phones, upwards of a billion of 'em. You honestly thought it was only a few Nexus models? I tend to doubt that but perhaps you aren't as schooled on Android features and settings as I thought so benefit of the doubt then sir.

    Are you suggesting that there's simply no market for these other Android stores? That they have no customers? Because however the phones are configured, and whatever steps need to be taken to access these other stores, the fact seems to be that millions upon millions of Android phones are accessing 3rd-party Android stores, as evidenced by the simple fact that Google Play store doesn't exist in China. You seem to be satisfied that the blame lies entirely with the Android handset owners, each taking steps not recommended by Google. But that's simply a denial of reality. A lot of people have no other choice, except to emigrate out of China by the tens of millions, I suppose. If you are sold a phone with the implication it's a smartphone that runs apps, like Facebook and Instagram and Candy Crush, et al, and then you take the necessary steps to utilize those apps and you end up with a major infection, that tells me you've been sold a bag of broken glass, not that you did something wrong.
  • Reply 57 of 166
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,282member
    Are you suggesting that there's simply no market for these other Android stores? That they have no customers? Because however the phones are configured, and whatever steps need to be taken to access these other stores, the fact seems to be that millions upon millions of Android phones are accessing 3rd-party Android stores, as evidenced by the simple fact that Google Play store doesn't exist in China. You seem to be satisfied that the blame lies entirely with the Android handset owners, each taking steps not recommended by Google. But that's simply a denial of reality. A lot of people have no other choice, except to emigrate out of China by the tens of millions, I suppose. If you are sold a phone with the implication it's a smartphone that runs apps, like Facebook and Instagram and Candy Crush, et al, and then you take the necessary steps to utilize those apps and you end up with a major infection, that tells me you've been sold a bag of broken glass, not that you did something wrong.
    Absolutely not, as your takeaway should be from my earlier posts in this thread. See post 16 for example. If Google is pushing Google Android in handsets shipping to China then they need to stop until an official Play Store is available there. That's my opinion. I don't know that they are tho. I thought devices in China were primarily forked, unapproved and unsupported versions of the open-source Android rather than the officially supported Google. If not and there's no access to vetted Google Play applications in a particular market then my opinion is don't play there.

    In any event Google is doing their best to work with the Chinese government to get Google Play approved. If Google is responsible for pushing their OS to that market then Google should be responsible for seeing they have a relatively safe and secure source for applications. I say relatively as many here have opined that China is a problem unto itself when it comes to app stores.
  • Reply 58 of 166
    wigbywigby Posts: 688member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Oh I do read. A lot. Do you have a single example over the past 5 years of Google suggesting 3rd party app stores are a plus, or even promote disabling the default security settings as a great feature?

    As for China are you referring to Google Android or "other".

    By not condemning such stores, they are doing the same as promoting them. Apple doesn't need to condemn unofficial app stores because they don't have that much of a problem and they wield much more control than Google. By being so open which Google constantly promoted to customers and developers, they are simply creating this problem for themselves.
  • Reply 59 of 166
    wigbywigby Posts: 688member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    That warning screen and default denial for installing non-market apps applies to all Google Android phones, upwards of a billion of 'em. You honestly thought it was only a few Nexus models? I tend to doubt that but perhaps you aren't as schooled on Android features and settings as I thought so benefit of the doubt then sir.

    A warning screen means nothing to a giant consumer base that only buys Android phones to root and side load and access unofficial app stores. You can't fight culture like that with warnings. It's about as effective as warnings for pirating software.
  • Reply 60 of 166
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

     

     

    Also, any form of Android, whether ASOP or Nexus branded or whatever, has no access to Google Play in China. Everything Google is blocked in China. 

     


    If that's the case then why aren't Android phones, more specifically the Android OS, banned in China, also?

Sign In or Register to comment.