Apple CEO Tim Cook says he travels with just an iPad Pro and iPhone

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 86
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member
    Tim doesn't use a Mac. The post PC era has arrived. I guess that explains why Snow Leopard seems like the last time Apple cared about quality control on the Mac OS.
  • Reply 82 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lmac View Post

Tim doesn't use a Mac. The post PC era has arrived. I guess that explains why Snow Leopard seems like the last time Apple cared about quality control on the Mac OS.

Post-PC doesn't mean no PC.   Here is Jobs philosophy on Post-PC, which today is still the best and most misunderstood view of Post-PC;

"I'm trying to think of a good analogy. When we were an agrarian nation, all cars were trucks because that's what you needed on a farm. But as vehicles started to be used in the urban centers and America started to move into those urban and then suburban centers, cars got more popular and innovations like automatic transmission and power steering and things that you didn't care about in a truck as much started to become paramount in cars. And now probably I don't know what the statistics are, maybe one out of every 25 vehicles, 30 vehicles is a truck, where it used to be 100 percent. PCs are going to be like trucks. They are still going to be around, they are still going to have a lot of value, but they're going to be used by one of out every X people...And this transformation is going to make some people uneasy, people from the PC world like you and me, it's going to make us uneasy because the PC has taken us a long ways. It's brilliant, and we like to talk about the post-PC era but when it really starts to happen, I think it's uncomfortable for a lot of people because it's change and a lot of vested interests are going to change. It's going to be different. So I think that we're embarked on that. Is it the iPad? Who knows? Will it happen next year or five years from now or seven years from now? Who knows? But I think we're headed in that direction..."

• Reply 83 of 86
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lmac View Post

Sorry, but are you trolling or just full of shit? El Capitain is the most stable version of OS X I have EVER used. Easily. Not a single freeze, crash, or issue, and I use it for HOURS every single day and have like 15 applications open at once.. But yeah, keep going with the "Apple doesn't care about OSX/Macs" meme, even though it has no basis in reality. People like you have been threatening for years that Apple is on the verge of discontinuing the Mac or merging iOS/OSX, but it hasn't happened, and Macs are better than they've ever been. Enough with the bullshit sensationalism and lies. I wouldn't go back to Snow Leopard in a million years. 

• Reply 84 of 86
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm saying it is the fault of the OS.

If the text is close to the top it can be very difficult to select or drop the cursor, for example trying to edit the To: Address. And don't get me started on handling images within the email. There is no way to scale or reduce the size unless you started the email from the Photos app. And even then you can only choose small medium or large, but you have no idea what the email is going to look like because as soon as you select one of the choices the email is gone.

You just switched complaints though. Your original complaint was that it's too hard to position the cursor and that you frequently have to retype an entire word as a result. My reply was that in iOS 9, if you're doing that, it's not the OS's fault, it's yours. Two fingers on the keyboard makes it incredibly easy to position the cursor. It's certainly no slower than positioning a cursor with a mouse and probably faster, in the sense that if I'm typing, I have to take a hand off the keyboard to grab the mouse. If you're using a bluetooth keyboard of course, that option isn't available. But then you have the same command- and option-arrow navigation you have on a OS X device. I won't refute your second set of complaints. But they're not valid rebuttal in my criticism of your first complaints :P

• Reply 85 of 86
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Sorry, but are you trolling or just full of shit? El Capitain is the most stable version of OS X I have EVER used. Easily. Not a single freeze, crash, or issue, and I use it for HOURS every single day and have like 15 applications open at once.. But yeah, keep going with the "Apple doesn't care about OSX/Macs" meme, even though it has no basis in reality. People like you have been threatening for years that Apple is on the verge of discontinuing the Mac or merging iOS/OSX, but it hasn't happened, and Macs are better than they've ever been. Enough with the bullshit sensationalism and lies. I wouldn't go back to Snow Leopard in a million years. 

When I upgraded to el-capitan via migration from Mavericks, my resulting installation had no working Finder.  There is still to this day no answer to this in the Apple support forums.  I had to do a clean install.  I have had one system freeze and another black screen crash since.

• Reply 86 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

1. You're using Excel for a job that it wasn't meant for. Ever heard of Access?

2. Your case represents .01% of the computing market.

Most place use Databases like Oracle and SAP, and we run reports with needed information and put into excel and do data analsis. It far easier than access, I have use access in the past, to what I can do in excel in a few minutes you can not easily do in Access. I am not a small case. I worked a number of companies and we all use Excel to do information analysis on raw data. It more common than you realize.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

sounds like you need a truck. im a software dev and ive never done any of those things in my spreadsheets. sounds like i need a car.

So do you develop code on and ipad, run debug tools and then run simulation tools to make your program is running correctly.

You also realize you just a small portion of a company, there are a whole groups of people who run a company who use spreadsheet and such like me. I like how people who do one and only one thing things the rest of the world does exactly that. Also, your know there are far more companies in the world which had nothing to do with writing code these companies make product or sell services which requires lots of data and number crunching to understand what is happening in the campany. These activites can not be done an ipad.

As I said Tim Cooks has thousands of people crunching the Apple performance data to summarize it into an email which he reads on his ipad. I bet none of the data crunching and analysis is done on an ipad and then try to compose and email at the same time to send to Cook.

Oh doing a facebook update or looking at zag to find the next place to have lunch is not real work.