Apple won't adopt AMOLED displays in iPhones until 2019 at the earliest, insider says

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tralalalalalala View Post

Shareholders would be upset if Apple went with an expensive technology...

This. Neither Samsung nor LG is going to give Apple a decent price on AMOLED panels, when the display is the only feature that they have--without lying--any chance of claiming superiority to Apple. Problem is LCDs are improving. And I guess by 2019, there's expected to be no AMOLED advantage.

• Reply 62 of 73
    Give me a break Kuo..You are no insider...
    First u start a rumor then u start dancing around it...
    Stop the stupid rumors
  • Reply 63 of 73
    I much prefer the look of standard LCD screens.
  • Reply 64 of 73
    sacha wrote: »
    I much prefer the look of standard LCD screens.

Sounds like someone has never seen a calibrated OLED before.
  • Reply 65 of 73

Calibrated when? Day one it will look great, but they have to have continuous calibration to keep their stability as the blue organic Iridium complex OLED pixels decay from heat/use. 

• Reply 66 of 73
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Calibrated when? Day one it will look great, but they have to have continuous calibration to keep their stability as the blue organic Iridium complex OLED pixels decay from heat/use. 

Any evidence for this that isn't 8 years out of date?

• Reply 67 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

By the way, I am still waiting for the explanation as to why Apple haven't been criticised for using an OLED screen on the ?Watch given this supposed huge potential for burn-in.

That is because ?Watch doesn't have the need for its screen to be ON for long periods of time, UNLIKE phones, laptops and tablets.

Nobody is going to watch a movie or photos by using a smart watch.

• Reply 68 of 73
    Quote:

Any evidence for this that isn't 8 years out of date?

Sure. Check out complains on Galaxy S5, Note4 and Note Edge burn in problem. Neither of the model has been there for 8 years.

• Reply 69 of 73
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton Zuykov View Post

Sure. Check out complains on Galaxy S5, Note4 and Note Edge burn in problem. Neither of the model has been there for 8 years.

I have sen those and addressed that in earlier post. As I said,  If you do a search for 'iPhone screen issue' it would be reasonable to conclude from the results that LCD screens are intrinsically flawed.

• Reply 70 of 73
    Quote:

I have sen those and addressed that in earlier post. As I said,  If you do a search for 'iPhone screen issue' it would be reasonable to conclude from the results that LCD screens are intrinsically flawed.

No, based on the fact that LCD either is working or not. When it has a defect - it is a defective LCD panel which is a result of LCD panel NOT WORKING PROPERLY..

On the other hand, with AMOLED it is different (even though you are a believer and thus refuse to accept logic) -- a "burn in" problem is "built in" the AMOLED  technology and it is not a defect. Burn in IS exactly a state of a perfectly working AMOLED panel.

You can call "burn in" an unlucky feature, if you like, but equating that to a faulty IPS LCD panel is simply illogical.

• Reply 71 of 73
    Quote:

Are you under the impression that the LEDs used as backlights in LCDs do not suffer from this problem too?

Even inorganic LEDs degrade both in brightness and color temperature. Face it, LCD is the worst display technology we have ever come up with. Engineers have spent the literally the whole time LCDs have been around trying to match the color accuracy, black levels, and contrast with the display technology that came before it. Really, that is true.

• Reply 72 of 73
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    staticx57 wrote: »

Are you under the impression that the LEDs used as backlights in LCDs do not suffer from this problem too?

Even inorganic LEDs degrade both in brightness and color temperature. Face it, LCD is the worst display technology we have ever come up with. Engineers have spent the literally the whole time LCDs have been around trying to match the color accuracy, black levels, and contrast with the display technology that came before it. Really, that is true.

Bring back plasmas.
  • Reply 73 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by staticx57 View Post

And, the CRTs we used for decades are prone to color shift as the output from the electron guns that excite the phosphors decreases. They are also much more prone to "burn-in" than LCDs. The phosphors in plasmas are more prone to "burn-in" than LCDs and their output will decrease over time - and not always in a linear relationship with the other phosphors resulting in color temperature changes.

There's simply no perfect display technology - there are always compromises. Televisions and other devices are replaced at a much faster rate than the old 27" console TVs that our parents and grandparents used to have. It is the exception rather than the rule that most TVs and electronic devices are now replaced due to obsolescence long before they fail. Sizes are increasing, prices are decreasing, and image quality is improving faster than ever. Color shift is a very minor real-world issue.