Apple Music for Android beta now available on Google Play

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Apple explains the reasons for those permissions differently that you did, so not exactly the reasons you gave. Click the red Apple Privacy at the bottom of the install screen. Nothing worrisome in any event.

Say what? It's irrelevant how Apple explains them. I was simply pointing out the FLAW in Android phone permissions whereby access to phone status is lumped together with other, more invasive phone permissions.

This is why Android users have been complaining for years about Apps that require phone access. Even the most basic of App, if they want to properly handle something as simple as an incoming call, will need to ask for "phone identity and status" permissions. Gaining this permission also allows those Apps (if they wanted) to access more personal information about your phone usage habits.

This is impossible on iOS because Apple does not allow developers to access your phone or messages (unlike Android, which has APIs for developers to access both).

• Reply 22 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

BAD IDEA.

I say screw the cheap 'droid crowd and like Steve Jobs said, DON'T MAKE THEM HAPPY!!

With ?Music gaining popularity without droid, I say there's no need. Better yet Apple should discontinue the 'droid version after they're hooked on it.

Giving away parts of the ecosystem will make them comfy. If they want Apple software, they should buy Apple hardware.

What if you have a family with a mix of iOS and Android devices? Should you deny the Android users access to your Family Plan for music?

• Reply 23 of 27
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I gonna give it a spin and I pay for all my services, current music streamers included. ;)

Edit: Interesting set of permissions it wants. . . :\
    Access to browsing history? Names of connected wifi devices? Call information?

Just close your eyes and pretend Google is asking for those permissions. You do trust Google, don't you?

You guys know I'm no fan of Google, but those permissions are whacked.

You can spin this all you want to say this is a deficiency in Android (and it is) but Apple is far too high and mighty about privacy to be releasing an app that requires those kinds of permissions.

The thing about taking the high road is that then it's so obvious when you don't.

Get it together, Apple!
  • Reply 24 of 27
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    What if you have a family with a mix of iOS and Android devices? Should you deny the Android users access to your Family Plan for music?

Definitely. Buy them an iOS device.

I mean what do you do when you wanna FaceTime with them or share app/movie purchases with your family plan?

If Apple gives it's ecosystem away to the cheap devices then what's the point of Apple devices?
    john.b wrote: »
    You guys know I'm no fan of Google, but those permissions are whacked.

You can spin this all you want to say this is a deficiency in Android (and it is) but Apple is far too high and mighty about privacy to be releasing an app that requires those kinds of permissions.

The thing about taking the high road is that then it's so obvious when you don't.

Get it together, Apple!

They just explained this above. It's an ANDROID problem. Apple needs to know when the phone is ringing so it can mute/pause AppleMusic.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iAlan View Post

Let the 1-star reviews begin!

A NEW App and currently already has as of right now, 2,811 Reviews.  Surprisingly there's still more 5 star reviews at 1,193.  The 1 stars I would assume are catching up and will pass currently at 1,023.  The 2,3 & 4 starts are way down to  be meaningless.  A number of the 1 star reviews I'd say, ok, legitimate reason I guess, but really 1 star?  Not 2 or 3 star?   It's also BETA software and yet people are not taking that into account that I can see.    Give it time, reviews will sink to the bottom.

Look at the Move to iOS app.  Talking about a App that really gets the fandroids up in arms.  45,841 Reviews as of now.   11,190 5 star reviews and 32,497 1 star reviews!!! 2, 3 & 4 are almost nothing in comparison.  It's what you expect.  

• Reply 26 of 27
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

BAD IDEA.

Giving away parts of the ecosystem will make them comfy. If they want Apple software, they should buy Apple hardware.

But people are not paying for the the software, they are paying for the streaming service.  And for services it is not so wise to impose Apple only hardware.  If Apple wants that its service is successful it must be reachable by as many devices as possible.

Personally I have a mix of Window, Mac and Linux machines and iOS and Android devices.  I am willing to pay for a service only if it available on all my devices

• Reply 27 of 27
    Found it in the Google Play store today. Says my Nexus 7 tablet with android marshmallow is not a compatible platform and won%u2019t allow download. So much for that. Guess its iPhone and Mac only since Apple never has seen fit to put new Apple Music on the Apple TV (not the new tvOS).

[Nexus 7 only because I don%u2019t want my grandkids to bust an iPad. So far one has cracked the display on my iPad 1 and shattered the digitizer on their parents Samsung tablet. Plus I%u2019m trying learn mobile development].