First look: Apple's iPad Pro with 12.9-inch Retina display

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'd love to know who dropped the ball on having the keyboard and pencil available at launch. The Pencil is one of the standout features of this device and it's back ordered 3-4 weeks. WTF? Isn't Tim Cook supposed to be the supply chain master?
  • Reply 22 of 36
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 wrote: »
    got one at Apple store. Was a gift for me wifey

The thing is boss. People are complicating this too much.

The 128GB Air2 is $699
    The 128GB Pro is $949

So for $250 more you get:

A much better screen
    Much better CPU
    More RAM
    Better graphics
    Better sound/speakers
    Better accessory connection

IMO, for $250 more its a no brainer. This is the ULTIMATE personal consumption device. Plus you can a ton of productivity stuff and it will only get better as more Apps come out.
    and 32GB version is a waste. A device like this you should never skim on storage. When my iPad Air has its replacement with the Keyboard and Pencil.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'd love to know who dropped the ball on having the keyboard and pencil available at launch. The Pencil is one of the standout features of this device and it's back ordered 3-4 weeks. WTF? Isn't Tim Cook supposed to be the supply chain master?

Disney bought all the Apple Pencils.

• Reply 24 of 36

Disney bought all the Apple Pencils.

Really I just don't get it. Some stores have demo units with keyboard and pencil others don't. Seriously every Apple store in countries where iPad Pro is available for sale should have at least one display unit with keyboard and pencil. And store employees should know when they'll have stock available for sale and when they expect the keyboard and pencil to be available for purchase in store. Lately Apple's product launches outside of iPhone have been amateur hour. Apple can do better. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 25 of 36
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsoni View Post

Got a link to any benchmarks? I can't find any.

Some preliminary figures here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9780/taking-notes-with-ipad-pro/2

Several of the reviews posted yesterday, like on The Verge and cnet had some benchmarking data as well.

• Reply 26 of 36
    rogifan wrote: »
    Supply chain master for Apple's needs not to have supply exceed demand.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    latifbp wrote: »
    Supply chain master for Apple's needs not to have supply exceed demand.

It's kind of hard for supply to exceed demand when supply doesn't exist. Nor the Apple online store is showing at 4 to 5 weeks wait for Apple pencil. I guess maybe if people are lucky they'll get one by Christmas?

If the pencil and keyboard weren't ready to ship then this product shouldn't have gone on sale yet. The bigger question is why aren't they available to ship? I wish someone who got a review unit ask Apple that question.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Can't wait to get mine - seems a perfect fusion between tablet and laptop especially for those long flights.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

He's good with the supply chain, but nobody is perfect.

• Reply 30 of 36
    ireland wrote: »
    He's good with the supply chain, but nobody is perfect.

Maybe this is where Angela needs to speak up and say it's not going in stores unless I have at least 2 units plus accessories for demo purposes. Maybe she did and was shot down. I would be curious to know what is causing the delay. Is there an issue with one of Apple's suppliers? Did they find an issue at the last minute that they're now correcting? You have to admit this and the ?TV were some what disorganized launches. Apple never said when ?TV would be in stores so people ordered online only to find lots of them in store before online orders even shipped. With iPad Pro some stores have demo units, others don't. Pencil and keyboard aren't available in store and aren't shipping for 4-5 weeks. And I've read stories that some Apple stores had their pencils stolen because apparently the few they had in store were just freely floating around. Disorganized isn't something I'd usually associate with Apple. Sigh.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    It's kind of hard for supply to exceed demand when supply doesn't exist. Nor the Apple online store is showing at 4 to 5 weeks wait for Apple pencil. I guess maybe if people are lucky they'll get one by Christmas?

If the pencil and keyboard weren't ready to ship then this product shouldn't have gone on sale yet. The bigger question is why aren't they available to ship? I wish someone who got a review unit ask Apple that question.
    From Apple's perspective they don't have a pile up of back stock and they can be pretty certain that customers like you won't go anywhere else. Go buy a surface if you're so peeved. Otherwise supply is not exceeding demand and they can assess demand for the pencil and scale appropriately... whether you like it or not.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Maybe this is where Angela needs to speak up and say it's not going in stores unless I have at least 2 units plus accessories for demo purposes. Maybe she did and was shot down. I would be curious to know what is causing the delay. Is there an issue with one of Apple's suppliers? Did they find an issue at the last minute that they're now correcting? You have to admit this and the ?TV were some what disorganized launches. Apple never said when ?TV would be in stores so people ordered online only to find lots of them in store before online orders even shipped. With iPad Pro some stores have demo units, others don't. Pencil and keyboard aren't available in store and aren't shipping for 4-5 weeks. And I've read stories that some Apple stores had their pencils stolen because apparently the few they had in store were just freely floating around. Disorganized isn't something I'd usually associate with Apple. Sigh.

Just stop it. Of course they ran into a problem or problems with the production or performance, and of course it was unexpected.

Do you imagine they were procrastinating or somehow forgot about the schedule? Jeff Williams? Tim Cook? Got some other names in hardware or production engineering? Do you you even know who is manufacturing the pencil? Have you looked into the technology that's in that little stick?

You have an obligation to find out something of substance before you poison the thread with another of your serial hissy fits.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    latifbp wrote: »
    From Apple's perspective they don't have a pile up of back stock and they can be pretty certain that customers like you won't go anywhere else. Go buy a surface if you're so peeved. Otherwise supply is not exceeding demand and they can assess demand for the pencil and scale appropriately... whether you like it or not.

1. You won't be able to send Rogifan away from her role as the buzziest gadfly here.

2. You are implying that they're holding back Pencil to guage demand. That is the least likely and most repellent of possible explanations. Disappointing customers and losing sales for inventory control purposes of $100 devices — can you imagine Tim Cook approving of that?
  • Reply 34 of 36
    flaneur wrote: »
    1. You won't be able to send Rogifan away from her role as the buzziest gadfly here.

2. You are implying that they're holding back Pencil to guage demand. That is the least likely and most repellent of possible explanations. Disappointing customers and losing sales for inventory control purposes of $100 devices — can you imagine Tim Cook approving of that?
    As a brand new product, absolutely I can imagine them doing that. They're seeing if the demand can expand beyond just pro users. Of course supply chain constraints are another possibility, but can you imagine Apple really not being able to get enough ordered if they really wanted a big order? I thought the same might be true when ? mWatch was released with such limited supply. It's the strategic reason they aren't releasing numbers on ?Watch sales, so competitors can't use that data to scale. From a competitive perspective Apple is better off if Google makes a bunch of Android where and can't sell them all, left with a lot of back stock and lack of profit. Btw I do enjoy Rogifan's comments here.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

From what I've read that is true for the GPU part (if you mean a MBP without dedicated graphcs, means excluding the top end 15" model), the CPU is enormously close, but not faster.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

I heard iPad Pro A9X chip iis even faster than MB Pro and SF4.

Just had a look at some of the benchmarks posted here (Thanks, dreyfus2) and it doesn't quite seem to be faster than the rMBP - It's sitting a few hairs below the new entry-level 2015 Macbook in performance, and a little above the 2015 Air in terms of GPU horsepower. Can check a few aggregate lists here and here for comparisons.

Pretty damn impressive for a tablet, but not quite on the horsepower as the x86 machines out there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Some preliminary figures here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9780/taking-notes-with-ipad-pro/2

Several of the reviews posted yesterday, like on The Verge and cnet had some benchmarking data as well.