iPad Pro has M9 motion coprocessor, but lacks always-on 'Hey Siri' support

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    zroger73 wrote: »
    Apple has been doing exceedingly well with their feature removal lately!

Removal of magnetic retainers on $2,300 iMacs in favor of double-sided tape.
    Removal of every single port on the latest MacBook in favor of a single USB-C connector.
    Removal of podcasts, Apple Remote, and Bluetooth keyboard support, and the optical audio output on the newest Apple TV.
    Removal of always-on "Hey Siri" on the iPad Pro.

Hey - less is more, right?

did you guys complain about the same when they got rid of optical? got rid of floppy? etc etc...Apple is always the first to get rid of stuff, the other pc makers follow. folks like you complain about it. and the world turns.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    rogifan wrote: »
    Having said that if this was excluded because marketing decided they wanted it to be a 6S only feature I think that's dumb.

how many documented instances are there of that happening? what are they?
  • Reply 23 of 31
    mstone wrote: »
    Doesn't sound like such a good idea, but if you were to do it, you could run two different OS versions simultaneously, one in the background. The laptop version activates only when the screen is attached. The tablet version activates when the screen is detached. Using something like continuity could sync files between the two. 

You'd have to have a pretty big battery though.

far, far too much complication.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    entropys wrote: »
    Microsoft is able to get away with compromised first gen products because of its slow to adopt corporate market.
    Apple as a consumer oriented company can't. Cook doesn't get this.
    Better to delay until both the hardware and software are in sync

orly? Cook, leader of the most successful technology company in the history of our planet, doesn't get it. riiiight.

sorry, but the surfaces with their combo modes were compromises in the wrong direction. iPad hasn't been.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    nolamacguy wrote: »

How would we ever know for sure? But if this device has all the necessary hardware for Hey Siri what other reason would their be for disabling it?
  • Reply 26 of 31
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

I have a few:

1. Apple said way back when that they purposefully left out the Weather, Stocks, etc. apps on iPad so that app developers could be creative and write their own.  Sounds like marketing to me. 

2. Look at the iPad Mini 3, which got not much more than Touch ID last year.  Apple purposefully decided to not add many features to the Mini 3 that the Air 2 got.  Why not?  Marketing told them that iPad sales were slowing down, and to make the Air 2 more attractive than the cheaper Mini, they didn't add everything that the Air 2 got (CPU, better anti-reflective screen, etc.)  This ran counter to the prior year (2013) release of the Mini 2 and Air 1, in which case Apple executives were on stage touting the feature parity of the Mini 2 and Air.  Thanks to that feature parity, many went with the Mini 2 because it had identical specs but was $100 cheaper.

3. Likewise this year, no Air 3, due to the release of the iPad Pro.  If Apple had released an Air 3 with the same CPU as the Pro, a lot of people might go with a "good enough for me" Air 3 than the Pro.  So, they only update the smaller Mini 4 and introduce the newer Pro this year, which will help keep the Pro sales propped up by not having competition from an Air 3.

I'm not saying that #2 and #3 were bad moves.  But they were happening due to marketing forecasts, not due to lack of innovation or production bottlenecks in developing the Mini 3 or Air 3.  When something is left out, it's more often than not a result of a business decision about cost or  cannibalization-avoidance.

Also, as others have already stated, if the M9 chip in the Pro is capable, there is no reason Apple couldn't have added "Hey Siri" as an option in iOS on iPad Pro with it simply defaulted to "Off". 

Fraserpatty
  • Reply 27 of 31

OMG, should I take my iPad Pro back because the 'Insiders' are getting hysterical about "Hey Siri"?  Wait a minute, my iPad Pro doesn't have live photos either!   Wait, wait..it doesn't have 3D Touch either!!  That's it - Apple has screwed me for the last time this year - no more purchases until next year!  

• Reply 28 of 31
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How would we ever know for sure? But if this device has all the necessary hardware for Hey Siri what other reason would their be for disabling it?

Battery drain.

• Reply 29 of 31
    My ipad pro has hey siri. You just have to turn it on in settings
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Acdana View Post

My ipad pro has hey siri. You just have to turn it on in settings

yes, it does but it's the version that requires you to be connected to power.  Although if you have the Siri dialog box up, it will respond to Hey Siri even if unplugged.  

• Reply 31 of 31
    nagromme said:
    I'd want this on my iPad MORE than on my iPhone. Hope Apple enables it.
    My sentiments exactly.  I'm really hoping this comes to iPad Air 3, as I am planning to upgrade.  Beat Alexa at her must be plugged in game!