First Apple Store 'feature bay' accessory collection focuses on iPhone photography

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2015
It seems that select Apple Store locations are organizing accessories into collections called "feature bays" to enhance the in-store shopping experience, with the first arrangement advertising iPhone photography products.




According to Mac Otakara, which provided the photo of the so-called "feature bay" seen above, Apple Stores are rolling out the new design to throw a spotlight on accessory use cases, not simply the devices they support. It is unclear when other stores are scheduled to get similar treatment.

For now it seems Apple is concentrating on iPhone photography, the most touted feature of the company's biggest revenue driver. The feature bay shown above includes an assembly of products including a "Photography Kit," a "Videography Kit," multiple GoPro items beneath a poster of shot on iPhone. Perhaps not coincidentally, Apple started advertising some of these accessory kits on its website earlier today.

The reimagined Apple Store layout comes just days after Apple SVP of Retail Angela Ahrendts spoke about the future of Apple retail, both online and in brick-and-mortar outlets. Ahrendts said she envisions a store with products arranged by use case, singling out photography and gaming as specific examples, suggesting a "feature bay" advertising gaming accessories could be in the offing.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 16
    The Apple Store in The Natick Collection just outside of Boston had one of these set up today also. It was also dedicated to photography.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    If this is true, it's horrible.

    The items should be at eye level, not an inch off the floor. How dirty/dusty will the bottom items get after a day in a high-traffic store? I see the lip, but feet can kick dust bunnies airborne.

    Why isn't the shelving glass instead of something one can find in Ikea's bargain bin? Glass—light and airy—is used successfully in their stores from façades to stairs to iWatch display tables.

    Zoom in on the pic and you can see that the top and second rows of aluminum are warped, barely supporting the product or themselves. The edges don't align properly!
  • Reply 3 of 16
    The first Apple stores had a very similar area for video and still cameras. Sony was among the first with FireWire support from which all good things video flowed.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    These feature bays have been around since last holiday season
  • Reply 5 of 16
    That "feature bay" looks like crap. Misaligned shelves, and items displayed all crooked, someone needs to get a pair of glasses.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Nice promotion for GoPro there. I think Apple could do more with GoPro, perhaps a better acquisition than Beats?
  • Reply 7 of 16
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,405member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bertrood View Post

    If this is true, it's horrible.

    etc.

    I see your point - it's an excellent concept, but executed well below Apple's standard.

  • Reply 8 of 16
    Nice promotion for GoPro there. I think Apple could do more with GoPro, perhaps a better acquisition than Beats?

    There is absolutely nothing special about GoPro tech or hardware. If Apple decided to actually make an action sports camera, they'd surely do a nice job of it. GoPro as a company is all about marketing. They've established a solid brand.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    There is absolutely nothing special about GoPro tech or hardware. If Apple decided to actually make an action sports camera, they'd surely do a nice job of it. GoPro as a company is all about marketing. They've established a solid brand.

    Pretty much exactly like Beats. Not knocking Beats, as they've done a remarkable job.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    ac1234ac1234 Posts: 138member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Spiffers View Post



    That "feature bay" looks like crap. Misaligned shelves, and items displayed all crooked, someone needs to get a pair of glasses.



    That would be Angela - the $70,000,000 empty skirt.

  • Reply 11 of 16

    Here is a must read link mentioning Angela and, far more importantly, the Apple problem that is Tim Cook.  I have been highlighting the Cook issue for a couple of years now much to the disdain of Cook Lovers.

     

    The informed narrative is gaining traction.

     

    http://www.forbes.com/sites/jaysomaney/2015/11/15/all-excuses-aside-apples-major-problem-is-tim-cook/ ;

  • Reply 12 of 16
    ac1234 wrote: »
    Here is a must read link mentioning Angela and, far more importantly, the Apple problem that is Tim Cook.  I have been highlighting the Cook issue for a couple of years now much to the disdain of Cook Lovers.

    The informed narrative is gaining traction.

    http://www.forbes.com/sites/jaysomaney/2015/11/15/all-excuses-aside-apples-major-problem-is-tim-cook/ 

    Jay Somaney is a hedge fund investor. His interest is fast buck, short term investments (in fact at the end of the Forbes article it divulges that he is both long and short AAPL, in addition to AMZN, FB and others). Who cares what is his opinion? I can get an opinion from someone waiting in line to pay at Target.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post





    Jay Somaney is a hedge fund investor. His interest is fast buck, short term investments (in fact at the end of the Forbes article it divulges that he is both long and short AAPL, in addition to AMZN, FB and others). Who cares what is his opinion? I can get an opinion from someone waiting in line to pay at Target.



    It is not reasonable to dismiss the views of a hedge fund investor / manager simply because of the fast buck profile they have.  My issue is exactly what has been postulated in the article.  I am a very long term AAPL investor and have done very well on that investment - most of my holdings are for over 10 years now.  However, as a long term investor, the AAPL stock performance has been dismal over the last 3 years.  Return of shareholder value rests on the shoulders of the Chairman and the CEO.

  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AC1234 View Post

     



    It is not reasonable to dismiss the views of a hedge fund investor / manager simply because of the fast buck profile they have.  My issue is exactly what has been postulated in the article.  I am a very long term AAPL investor and have done very well on that investment - most of my holdings are for over 10 years now.  However, as a long term investor, the AAPL stock performance has been dismal over the last 3 years.  Return of shareholder value rests on the shoulders of the Chairman and the CEO.


     

    Usually stock follows profits, wtf should he do now. Profits is now so ridiculously large and grew massively in the last few years and yet those analysts keep moaning and moaning and moaning...

     

    These morons want miracles or want smoke and mirrors (like the crap google, amazon or MS presents them).

    Apple should talk BS all day long since that's what Wallstreet wants. Who cares actual measurable results when you can get BS instead.

     

    Apple should care ZERO about the stock market; and only care about their bottom line.

     

    If you think your not getting a good value, sell the stock and quit whining.

  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AC1234 View Post

     

    Here is a must read link mentioning Angela (the empty skirt) and, far more importantly, the Apple problem that is Tim Cook.  I have been highlighting the Cook issue for a couple of years now much to the disdain of Cook Lovers.

     

    The informed narrative is gaining traction.

     

    http://www.forbes.com/sites/jaysomaney/2015/11/15/all-excuses-aside-apples-major-problem-is-tim-cook/ ;


     

    So, your a mysiginistic prick, kind of guessed it; quit fracking whining and sell sell sell.

  • Reply 16 of 16
    ac1234ac1234 Posts: 138member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post





    Jay Somaney is a hedge fund investor. His interest is fast buck, short term investments (in fact at the end of the Forbes article it divulges that he is both long and short AAPL, in addition to AMZN, FB and others). Who cares what is his opinion? I can get an opinion from someone waiting in line to pay at Target.



    Who cares you ask - many who follow Forbes business analysis and are open to thinking about the reality behind Apple's performance and the disjointed AAPL lack of performance.  Manipulation, pump and dump, other assorted conspiracy theories make little sense or have little evidence behind them.

     

    I'm certain Forbes will not be pursuing either you or your Target person for an analysis of AAPL performance.

Sign In or Register to comment.