Canadian Apple Pay launch set for Nov. 17, credit card representatives say

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2015
Apple Pay's Canadian launch is scheduled for Tuesday, Nov. 17, according to customer service representatives with American Express.




Representatives confirmed plans "numerous times" when contacted over the phone, iPhone in Canada reported. That website's readers have also backed up the date.

Neither Apple nor American Express have officially announced launch timing, but Apple Pay rollouts are typically "soft," with banks and other institutions simply revealing support the same day it's ready.

In late October Apple said only that American Express partnership would bring Apple Pay to Australia and Canada by the end of 2015. While many rumors about Canadian plans have emerged, news about Australia has been relatively quiet.

Next year, Apple is slated to bring its mobile payment platform to Hong Kong, Singapore, and Spain.

Apple Pay is currently available in the U.S. and the U.K., and supported by hundreds of card issuers. The greater issue has been retail support, since while many major chains are on board, there are still conspicuous gaps and the technology is virtually absent from small businesses, despite Apple's outreach attempts.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 19
    chiachia Posts: 694member
    At last! Now we'll get Canadians whining in every Apple Pay topic when VISA and MasterCard can be used with Apple Pay in Canada, instead of Canadians whining in every Apple Pay topic whining when Apple Pay is coming to Canada.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Oh good, North Montana gets some love.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    chia wrote: »
    At last! Now we'll get Canadians whining in every Apple Pay topic when VISA and MasterCard can be used with Apple Pay in Canada, instead of Canadians whining in every Apple Pay topic whining when Apple Pay is coming to Canada.

    Funny, your not Canadian, and your whining about it, yet, there's no Canadians whining at all, is that how everyone from the UK is?
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post



    At last! Now we'll get Canadians whining in every Apple Pay topic when VISA and MasterCard can be used with Apple Pay in Canada, instead of Canadians whining in every Apple Pay topic whining when Apple Pay is coming to Canada.



    Are you serious eh? Don't be a such a 'hoser' - we have had our 11th blizzard this week and it would nice to have Apple Pay for the firewood.

  • Reply 5 of 19
    I've been waiting for this announcement since the TD leak last month; it's an integral part of my plan to go wallet-less into the future.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    teejay2012 wrote: »

    Are you serious eh? Don't be a such a 'hoser' - we have had our 11th blizzard this week and it would nice to have Apple Pay for the firewood.

    Thanks for my morning laugh! ???? I actually snickered out loud on that one. But you forgot that our fireplaces are in our igloos, lol.

    Seriously can't wait for this, though.
  • Reply 7 of 19

    OMG this is bullcrap. No Visa or MasterCard?  FAIL.  Apple is going to hell under Tim Cook. Time to fire him. I'm buying a Samsung.

  • Reply 8 of 19
    joelsalt wrote: »
    OMG this is bullcrap. No Visa or MasterCard?  FAIL.  Apple is going to hell under Tim Cook. Time to fire him. I'm buying a Samsung.

    Just a little more patience, my friend. I am sure that they will be on board shortly as well. ????????
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Thanks for my morning laugh! ???? I actually snickered out loud on that one. But you forgot that our fireplaces are in our igloos, lol.

    Seriously can't wait for this, though.

    Throw another moose on the barbie, eh? Oh, wait...
  • Reply 10 of 19
    tenlytenly Posts: 707member
    I'm looking forward to having Apple Pay available here in Canada - for the privacy that it provides. It doesn't do much for us in the way of convenience - and may actually by slightly LESS convenient than our existing tap-to-pay system - but the privacy features and the coolness factor definitely can't be beat!
  • Reply 11 of 19
    tenly wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to having Apple Pay available here in Canada - for the privacy that it provides. It doesn't do much for us in the way of convenience - and may actually by slightly LESS convenient than our existing tap-to-pay system - but the privacy features and the coolness factor definitely can't be beat!

    Is there a "make it rain" feature in Apple Pay?
  • Reply 12 of 19
    chiachia Posts: 694member
    chadbk wrote: »
    Funny, your not Canadian, and your whining about it, yet, there's no Canadians whining at all, is that how everyone from the UK is?

    a) don't make presumptions about anybody's nationality.
    b) related to a) don't make presumptions about what people do in any country.
    c) look at every single previous article about Apple Pay in Appleinsider: you will find a post in the comments grumbling that Apple Pay isn't available in Canada yet. Unless Tim Cook and the directors of Apple read Appleinsider comments, there's nothing any of us can do about Apple Pay availability, so it's whining.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    chiachia Posts: 694member
    Thanks for my morning laugh! ???? I actually snickered out loud on that one. But you forgot that our fireplaces are in our igloos, lol.

    Seriously can't wait for this, though.

    Didn't have to wait long for my prediction!
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post





    Didn't have to wait long for my prediction!



    You're a regular Nostradamus of who gives a shit

  • Reply 15 of 19
    chiachia Posts: 694member
    joelsalt wrote: »

    You're a regular Nostradamus of who gives a shit
    Maybe that's what Apple felt about bringing Apple Pay to Canada too.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Chadbk View Post

    Funny, your not Canadian, and your whining about it, yet, there's no Canadians whining at all, is that how everyone from the UK is?

    Yes.

  • Reply 17 of 19
    chia wrote: »
    Didn't have to wait long for my prediction!

    Lol, you got me!
  • Reply 18 of 19
    I just noticed the option to setup Apple Pay on my iPhone in Canada. Took less than a minute to set up. I'm ready to pay ????
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post





    Maybe that's what Apple felt about bringing Apple Pay to Canada too.

    <img class=" src="http://forums-files.appleinsider.com/images/smilies//lol.gif" />.  Hey man, Amex users are important too.

     

     

     

     

    :smokey:

Sign In or Register to comment.