Apple now inhaling 94 percent of global smartphone profits, selling just 14.5 percent of total volum

Comments

• Reply 61 of 125
    jungmark wrote: »
    How the eff is that possible, Apple? What are its competitors doing that makes them profit less. Kudos to Apple. If you build it, they will come.

Secret sauce. If it was common knowledge, everyone would be doing it.
  • Reply 62 of 125

This 94% figure may well be patently false, and simply a way for the "analyst market", which is largely skewed to the Apple-skeptical bent, to start flying a kite for the application of anti-trust measures by governments against Apple, despite the fact that it operates in global markets where it has such a low market share.

Mark my words, it will come as no surprise in the fulness of time if ridiculous somersaults of logic such as we have seen from Wall Street nincompoops will be put out there as "genuine cause for concern that requires proactive measures by the regulatory bodies".

• Reply 63 of 125
    blazar wrote: »
    Carplay, homekit, healthkit, applepay, geolocation devices.

Rollout on product based on these ideas has been at a snail pace.

If they were able to execute better on these ideas, I feel they would have a more profitable ecosystem.

Apple maps needs to be better too... And at a more rapid clip.

While I would also love to see a higher pace on the items you mentioned it seems that the numbers of this article prove that Apple does not "need" to be faster.
  • Reply 64 of 125
    512ke wrote: »
    For me, this is the key piece of information: Apple sold 48 million phones not 14% of 48 million.

Granted, all 48 million smartphone users do not want to buy a middle or high end smart phone.

But I'm willing to bet that Apple can still grow its marketshare at the expense of Samsung and other companies.

It's kind of like PC's. Even though the overall market is shrinking, Apple's sales and marketshare are growing.

Also, I believe (although I am too lazy to find the data to prove it) that people are increasingly willing to spend more money on smartphones, due in part to the increasing importance of smartphones in peoples' lives (both function and status).
  • Reply 65 of 125
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member
    Samsung 's policy to sell a tons of cheap crap phones to pump up numbers isn't paying anymore.....
  • Reply 66 of 125
    wwelsh39 wrote: »
    I'm glad Apple is doing well and I love my Macs!!! But I wonder if having that much profit is maybe because Apple is charging too much for their phones and, in good conscience, ought to lower their prices a little bit???
    Yep... Especially outside US their prices are almost unacceptable...
  • Reply 67 of 125
    Perhaps the headline should be "14% of global smartphone buyers generously contribute 94% of industry profit" :)
  • Reply 68 of 125
    maxit wrote: »

Precisely. In India, it's absurd. The 6s starts at INR 57000 (or around 950 $) for the 16 GB variant. That's for a barely developed market that's just beginning to roll out LTE support. (As of now, just one carrier offers 4G)

And with 3G costs coming at around 7.5 $ for 2GB of spotty coverage, even if you could afford an iPhone, can you imagine the usage costs?
    Right now, it's more of a status symbol, really impractical, and with a high price tag. I really hope Apple does do something about it...
  • Reply 69 of 125

Apple, Samsung, Microsoft and Lenovo will probably still be in the market next year.....  but the rest I would not bet on staying in the business of making them.  Samsung makes on smartphones either way (component business), Microsoft will continue scraping buy trying to convince everyone they are a serious contender.... but not really being one.  

The market is going to have some serious changes coming - and other than Samsung competing in the Android market for the upscale market (but having problems), the remaining Android makers are going to be low cost alternatives.  So yes, Samsung and Google will make high end devices but they are going to be serious stress building up in the Android ecosystem between the two ends.  Google tried to become the Microsoft (PC) of the phone market - but they ceded to much control and that is already causing major issues (more than Microsoft did)....  So in the short/mid term things do not look rosy in the non-Apple ecosystems.

• Reply 70 of 125

What is funny is that Samsung makes a lot of money from the phone business (Apple being one customer) yet cannot seem to give themselves an advantage in margins.....

• Reply 71 of 125
    sog35 wrote: »
    I meant it would destroy all of Androids profits.

Any phone sold for under $350 is not making any profit.

Companies are in the business of making money.  If you are not making money you are being 'destroyed'
    Htc isn't making money since a while... And they are still in the business
  • Reply 72 of 125
    wwelsh39 wrote: »
    I'm glad Apple is doing well and I love my Macs!!! But I wonder if having that much profit is maybe because Apple is charging too much for their phones and, in good conscience, ought to lower their prices a little bit???

If Apple was charging too much then people wouldn't be buying their products. Since Apple's iPhones are selling as many as they can product they aren't selling them for too much, and one could argue that they aren't selling them for enough money since the demand continually outstrips supply. Now, you, as an individual buyer can say that Apple charges "too much," and you, can choose to buy that $10 Android phone at Walmart, but that has no bearing on what the market will bear.
  • Reply 73 of 125

Precisely. In India, they're absurd. The 6s starts at INR 57000 (or 950 $) for the 16 GB variant. And that's for a barely developed market where LTE is just beginning to roll out (Just one carrier, as of now).
  • Reply 74 of 125
    jungmark wrote: »
    Too much? Compared to what? Cheap shitty phones?

I rather pay $650 for an iPhone I want rather than $200 for a Android I don't want.
    problem is that $650 iPhone costs $950 outside US ... When Americans will stop thinking world ends outside US ?
  • Reply 75 of 125
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    bkkcanuck wrote: »
    What is funny is that Samsung makes a lot of money from the phone business (Apple being one customer) yet cannot seem to give themselves an advantage in margins.....

Their component business isn't part of their phone business.
  • Reply 76 of 125
    croprcropr Posts: 1,125member
    The 94% is ridiculously misleading. It is 94% of the (estimated profits - estimated losses) not of the estimated profits. What if Microsoft would do a write off of its smartphone business and post a loss a of a few billion, so that the accumulated loss becomes bigger than the profit. Would Apple suddenly have -120% of the losses??
    The fact that the figures of the privately owned Huawei (with unknown profits) are not included is sufficient to call this 94% absolute bullshit. Huawei has a marketshare of about 7.5%, which could be quite relevant when calculating the overall profit of the market.
    Of course the fact remains that is Apple who makes the lion share of the profits, but the figure of 94% is pure speculation.
  • Reply 77 of 125
    problem is that $650 iPhone costs $950 outside US ... When Americans will stop thinking world ends outside US ?

Prices outside the US are due to currency differences and your own country's taxes and tariffs. Protectionism: Look this word up in a dictionary.
  • Reply 78 of 125
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Prices outside the US are due to currency differences and your own country's taxes and tariffs. Protectionism: Look this word up in a dictionary.

Sucks to be a resource industry based currency these days....

• Reply 79 of 125
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

What you don't understand is that Apple is selling the iPhones at very nearly the cost that other manufacturers pay for their components and other expenses. Apple is killing it because of their scale of business. If Apple were to reduce their sale prices they could be sued for predatory pricing.

No, they couldn't. :no:

• Reply 80 of 125
    Nope.
    Difference in Europe is way higher than current exchange rate plus VAT