Half of data connections by top 500 Android apps are 'covert' with no effect on user experience

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    jason98 wrote: »

Exactly my thought. Until Apple introduces a sort of "Network" permission for apps, nothing really prevents them to transmit anything available on the device (through public and/or private APIs).  And the network permission should not be dummy yes/no to ALL, but yes/no to an explicit white list of domain names requested for access.

The vast majority of "free" apps require a network connection because they use advertisements or other cloud "experiences" like maps or positional data. The software that doesn't, you likely already paid money for and it checks for software updates or content updates outside the scope of the Apple App store.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,226member

A good fraction of the apps on my iOS devices have no business accessing the Internet--at least on a regular basis--that I care about. iOS has privacy protections for the microphone, photos, location, calendar, etc., but not for Internet access. Basically the only control for Internet is Airplane Mode, which disables Internet for all apps... and might have its own workarounds once Airplane Mode is disabled, even if the app of interest has supposedly been killed. On OS X, we have the ability to install Little Snitch. Why not on iOS?

• Reply 23 of 29
    richl wrote: »
    I doubt that iOS is any better.

you wanna bet on that?
  • Reply 24 of 29
    But but but Samsung Knox!

Ha ha, I had this exact argument with someone at work today about this story. A contractor whose company has just switched from Apple to Samsung Knox. He tried to explain how it was better - luckily, armed with hours of Apple insider factoids that ended pretty quickly and we all accepted that his company were actually trying to save money post a recent personnel expansion (the VPs all have iPhone 6s - but this had to be pointed out). His closing remark was that we would all move to Microsoft mobile if we had any sense...lol...I down shifted to physical violence at that point
  • Reply 25 of 29
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

let not forget these apps are chewing up your data as well, they collecting information about you and then sending to whomever and all while your paying for data.

• Reply 26 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

let not forget these apps are chewing up your data as well, they collecting information about you and then sending to whomever and all while your paying for data.

that is right- if 50% of your data from apps is being gobbled up covertly, hooray for your telco. 

• Reply 27 of 29

am i the only person fed up with the "we are concerned about your privacy" turns out to really be "we are so concerned that if we do not tell you, you will not be angry/know/care"? 

• Reply 28 of 29
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    sog35 wrote: »
    paging Gatorfan
    paging Gatorfan

Attn: Gatorfan.  Please report to duty to defend Google. Thank you.  Sergie Brim.
    Fck Android. This's why I love Walled garden iOS and Apple!