Swiss watch exports suffer largest decline in 6 years following Apple Watch launch

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I have no doubt that the Apple Watch is causing some drop in Swiss watch sales. But to attribute all, or even most of it to Apple's product is wrong. There are a number of reasons why those watch sales have been falling.

A major one is the Swiss Frank has gone up in value so that Swiss products are more expensive around the world. In Hong Kong, one of their biggest markets, expensive watch sales are down mostly because of that, but also due to the slowing Chinese economy. The same thing is true most everywhere else. Apple's watches are going to affect the lower priced Swiss watch models, not the higher priced ones.

I talk to people who, like I do, have some expensive watches. A number of them will be buying the next gen model Apple Watch next year, as I will. It's not always going to be that a person will have an Apple Watch or a mechanical one. People who can afford these things will have both.

Fashion can change overnight, and this might be one of those cases. It's too early to tell whether it is exchange rates, slowing economy, or lack of interest in mechanical watches. Either way, Apple Watch and fitness bands are growing rapidly into the under $1500 mechanical watch category.

Mechanical watches are an anachronism best served to the wealthy, as pedestrian brands are going to get decimated by smartwatches. Because jobs to be done outweigh fashion for the working class.

• Reply 42 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Careera? Nice typo.

While smart watches do certainly have an impact, especially in the huge $300 - $2,000 segment, there is also some kind of perfect storm happening here. Slowing economies, unfavorable exchange rates for the Swiss Franc, and a continued design vacuum for expensive products. Even the more recent well designed luxury watches are now 10 to 20 year old designs, the big money is still in models that haven't changed a lot in my lifetime. And most of the newer stuff is just tasteless (e.g. everything Tag makes is cringeworthy and a bad copy of other brands).

Having Apple entering the market certainly did not help them, but economics an their own complacency did at least as much damage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

WRONG. Stop trying to minimize Apple Watch success.

Even during the great recession of 2008 Swiss Watch sales did not plummet this much.

Apple will sell 15 million Watches in its first year for about $7 billion in sales.  Of course that is going to have a massive effect on Swiss watches. And this isn't anything yet.  Wait till the holiday season and next year when Watch2 comes out.  

No, he's right...  As there was no "great recession" in '08.  There was an imminent banking failure (which should have been allowed to happen, btw), but the world economy was actually pretty darn good.  The economy has been on a steady decline ever since, and is impacting industries across the board.

There is a "perfect storm" making an impact now, and it's not just in Swiss watches either.  But this scenario has played out before.  Apple does indeed make an impact.  Whenever Apple makes an entrance into a new product category, it would benefit competitors to drop their complacency immediately, and get to work.

• Reply 43 of 84

I'd bet they'd really be in serious trouble if Apple got into the cheese business. 

• Reply 44 of 84
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 wrote: »
    but,but,but,but, no body wants an Apple Watch.....
    but,but,but,but people want a Swiss watch only....
    but,but,but
    but,but
    BUTT.

Its hilarious that the hate for the AppleWatch has started to disappear.
    Now they are targeting the iPad Pro.
    Losers.

Face it. Apple is smart.
    but but but the Apple Watch lovers still haven't bought Apple Watch...hint hint.
  • Reply 45 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Oh God it won't die. They said they wouldn't be releasing numbers. That's it.

I saw a fandroid constantly bring this up, even though no other tech company is releasing numbers either. It's become an Apple only obligation for the haters.

Yes but that defies logic. If the numbers are actually good please give me a logical reason why a company wouldn't release numbers. When a new iPhone is released it isn't even warm in users hands and Apple is putting out a press release. Android users have nothing to do with this, I am not an Android user and never have been, that is a bogus argument. 

• Reply 46 of 84
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

This is hilarious!
  • Reply 47 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

Yes but that defies logic. If the numbers are actually good please give me a logical reason why a company wouldn't release numbers. When a new iPhone is released it isn't even warm in users hands and Apple is putting out a press release. Android users have nothing to do with this, I am not an Android user and never have been, that is a bogus argument. 

What matters to the Swiss is that the Swiss figured out that their dairy practices were too clean, and that there needed to be bits of manure and filth mixed into the raw milk; that's the secret to the large holes that define "Swiss" cheese.

What matters to Apple is all that pre and post sales data for the Apple Watch and Watch OS that Apple is sitting on to define a business segment larger than Surface; none of which is easily nor accurately accessible by competitors.

What matters to me is that you continue to question a business practice known for eons; competitive secrets kept often lead to great success in the market.

• Reply 48 of 84
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    tmay wrote: »
    What matters to the Swiss is that the Swiss figured out that their dairy practices were too clean, and that there needed to be bits of manure and filth mixed into the raw milk; that's the secret to the large holes that define "Swiss" cheese.

It's quite the opposite. Bits of hay in the curd caused the holes, and as the processing centers have gotten cleaner the holes have gotten smaller.
  • Reply 49 of 84
    What the report doesn't state here is that over 70% of the reason for the decline is the strong Swiss Frank. And the Apple Watch does not yet compete with the high end Watch segment. So there it has no big impact yet.

As a swiss I haven't been wearing a watch for more than 20 years now, they just break within a year with me, not always without my fault though hehehe ;-)

If Apple can get a more sexy design with their Apple Watch then damn they are sure to win over many more watch users.
  • Reply 50 of 84
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member

As a Swiss citizen, I just come to these threads to gloat in the incredible amount of cliché, prejudice, stereotype and ignorance that you all so willingly share about our little country. I really need to get out the popcorn - no wait, the Emmental cheese - and wait for the Switzerland vs Swaziland arguments. 

• Reply 51 of 84
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    g-news wrote: »
    As a Swiss citizen, I just come to these threads to gloat in the incredible amount of cliché, prejudice, stereotype and ignorance that you all so willingly share about our little country. I really need to get out the popcorn - no wait, the Emmental cheese - and wait for the Switzerland vs Swaziland arguments. 

Instead of complaining about it why don't you enlighten us?
  • Reply 52 of 84
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member

You want me to fight windmills? Where would I begin? Where would it end?

Let's try the basics: Switzerland is not Sweden and not Swaziland. We're part of Europe, but not the EU. Our currency is the Swiss Franc and not the Euro. We have four national languages, English is not one of them. The capital is Bern and not Zurich, nor Geneva.

Cheese is not our most important product and we're not all bankers. Cuckoo clocks, Lederhosen and Dirndl are all distinctly German, not Swiss.

What else would you like to know?

• Reply 53 of 84
    A Swiss watch can be a thing of beauty that you feel good about wearing every day.At this point I have no desire for a "Smart Watch" made by Apple or anyone else. The most attractive Smart Watches lack features, the %uF8FFWatch has the features but is thick and clunky looking. You still have to have your iPhone with you to use many of the %uF8FFWatch's features.

When the %uF8FFWatch loses some of its' bulk and can be worn and used fully without an accompanying iPhone I may be interested. Right now my iPhone does what it's designed to do and my Swiss watch does what it was designed to do. I don't have to charge my watch, I can wear it in the shower, I can drop it on the floor, and I feel no need to upgrade it every year or two. It can take a licking and it keeps on ticking.
  • Reply 54 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It's quite the opposite. Bits of hay in the curd caused the holes, and as the processing centers have gotten cleaner the holes have gotten smaller.

I was going by recollection of an article I'd seen; thanks for the correction. 

• Reply 55 of 84
    tmay wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I was going by recollection of an article I'd seen; thanks for the correction. 

Researching it was interesting. It was always believed to be the work of bacteria, but then with the help of technology they were able to watch as it happened, and discovered it was the work of microscopic bits of hay that caused it . I've always wondered about the holes in Swiss cheese but never bothered to look it up until now. The thanks is owed to you. ;)
  • Reply 56 of 84
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I have no doubt that the Apple Watch is causing some drop in Swiss watch sales. But to attribute all, or even most of it to Apple's product is wrong. There are a number of reasons why those watch sales have been falling.

A major one is the Swiss Frank has gone up in value so that Swiss products are more expensive around the world. In Hong Kong, one of their biggest markets, expensive watch sales are down mostly because of that, but also due to the slowing Chinese economy. The same thing is true most everywhere else. Apple's watches are going to affect the lower priced Swiss watch models, not the higher priced ones.

I talk to people who, like I do, have some expensive watches. A number of them will be buying the next gen model Apple Watch next year, as I will. It's not always going to be that a person will have an Apple Watch or a mechanical one. People who can afford these things will have both.

My $A5000 Omega is now an $A8000 Omega.

Mainly due to exchange rates.

• Reply 57 of 84
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    atlapple wrote: »

Yes but that defies logic. If the numbers are actually good please give me a logical reason why a company wouldn't release numbers.

Easy: Cook said prior to the watch's release no numbers will be given out. That seems logical to me
  • Reply 58 of 84
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    A Swiss watch can be a thing of beauty that you feel good about wearing every day.At this point I have no desire for a "Smart Watch" made by Apple or anyone else. The most attractive Smart Watches lack features, the %uF8FFWatch has the features but is thick and clunky looking. You still have to have your iPhone with you to use many of the %uF8FFWatch's features.

When the %uF8FFWatch loses some of its' bulk and can be worn and used fully without an accompanying iPhone I may be interested. Right now my iPhone does what it's designed to do and my Swiss watch does what it was designed to do. I don't have to charge my watch, I can wear it in the shower, I can drop it on the floor, and I feel no need to upgrade it every year or two. It can take a licking and it keeps on ticking.

The Apple Watch is not thick or bulky. "Clunky" is just your perception of it and many would disagree. With Apple Watch OS version 2, there is a lot you can do on it without having your phone near you.

Having to keep it dry and having to charge it every other day are trade offs that I am more than happy to make in exchange for the functionality and added convenience it brings to my life.

You are entitled to your opinions and your priorities, as am I.

My opinions are at least as valid as yours - maybe more so since I actually own the watch and have spent some time getting to know it....

I'm not deluded enough to think that the majority of people on the planet will share all of my opinions or priorities and I hope that you're not either.

Personally, I think you'll find that your perception of the Apple Watch and your priorities are definitely in the minority.

I have never felt the urge to visit Internet forums that are dedicated to products I don't like, need or have a use for and explain to its members *why* I don't like, want or need that product and i struggle to understand why some people do. The only motivations that would make sense to me would be:
    - they are eager for attention (even negative attention)
    - they make money off the sale of competing products
    - they are being paid to spread negativity about a product

If anyone can think of other reasons someone may do that, I'd be interested in hearing them. Perhaps this poster can tell us what motivated him to tale the time to tell us what is wrong with the Apple Watch and the reasons that he won't be purchasing one...?

Do you think that the majority of people share your opinions and your priorities...
  • Reply 59 of 84

Since when does expressing your opinion make you a poser? Really? Apple Insider is not Apple Watch Insider. I come to these pages because I own many Apple products 2 iPhones, 3 iPads, ATV-4, 27" Retina iMac among at least a dozen and a half other Apple items over the years. I've been reading Apple Insider probably longer than you've been wearing long pants. Lose your attitude Sonny, sounds to me like you are trying to justify your Apple Watch purchase. If you like it, and are happy with it, good for you. I stated why I won't buy one, to me it's clunky looking, too thick, and you need your iPhone with you to take full advantage of all of it's features. Plus I have no need for it at the present time. That doesn't make it a bad product, it just makes it a product that I don't want. If it offends you to think that someone else doesn't share your taste (or lack there of) or your priorities, perhaps you shouldn't troll the internet forums and write snarky responses to other members.:rolleyes:

• Reply 60 of 84
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    Since when does expressing your opinion make you a poser? Really? Apple Insider is not Apple Watch Insider. I come to these pages because I own many Apple products 2 iPhones, 3 iPads, ATV-4, 27" Retina iMac among at least a dozen and a half other Apple items over the years. I've been reading Apple Insider probably longer than you've been wearing long pants. Lose your attitude Sonny, sounds to me like you are trying to justify your Apple Watch purchase. If you like it, and are happy with it, good for you. I stated why I won't buy one, to me it's clunky looking, too thick, and you need your iPhone with you to take full advantage of all of it's features. Plus I have no need for it at the present time. That doesn't make it a bad product, it just makes it a product that I don't want. If it offends you to think that someone else doesn't share your taste (or lack there of) or your priorities, perhaps you shouldn't troll the internet forums and write snarky responses to other members.:rolleyes:
    LOL @ you and your response.
    My post was objective and non-offensive (if read correctly). Perhaps it's time for some new bifocals. I assume that most of the offense you seem to have taken stems from the fact that I called you a "poser"...? LMAO! Re-read my message and you'll see that I did no such thing!

As I did say in my original message - you're completely entitled to your opinion - no matter how many people disagree with it. As am I. Cheers!