HP partners with established watchmakers Titan, Movado for wearable iOS-connected devices

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited November 2015
In its bid to take on the Apple Watch, HP has forged partnerships with established traditional watchmakers Titan and Movado, for forthcoming devices that will be compatible with Apple's iPhone.

HP announced on Monday its new partnership with Titan, which is the fifth-largest watchmaker in the world. Under the "Engineered by HP" program, the joint venture will see HP develop hardware modules, software, user interface, and cloud services for wearable smart devices made by Titan.

The announcement comes just a week after HP announced a similar agreement with Movado, which resulted in a new smartwatch called the bold Motion. Unlike the Titan announcement, which did not disclose any concrete products, the Movado Bold Motion is currently available to reserve, priced at $695 and compatible with iOS 8 and later.

Rather than using a touchscreen like many modern smartwatches, the Bold Motion has an analog dial watch face. Without a screen, users can't receive details on notifications --?instead, an LED ring lights up with appropriate colors to simply tell the user the type of notification they have received. It also alerts users with haptic feedback and features step counting.

While the Bold Motion serves as a somewhat basic smartwatch, HP's program suggests that its wearable devices will come in a wide variety of styles and capabilities.

"Engineered by HP is reinventing the experience consumers have with everyday accessories by making existing objects smarter through innovative materials, design and technology, to keep people connected to the way they live today," said Sridhar Solur, General Manager, Wearables and Smart Platforms at HP Inc.

HP's first partnership was announced last year when it unveiled the Chronowing, designed in partnership with Michael Bastian and Gilt. That device was unveiled last August, before Apple even made the Apple Watch official in September of 2014.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Zero sales
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Nothing says success like a committee-made watch led by Hewlett Packard.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    I'm not sure how making a watch that simply shows colored led's to "alert" you to notifications is doing anything more than your iPhone vibrating in your pocket. Perhaps there are other elements to this new line of "smart" watch that will track motion, health related items, location, etc., that your smart phone can use? It could then take a piece of the fitness tracker bracelet market pie, but I'm certainly not a potential customer if all it does is glow colors for alerts.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Good lawd... 

• Reply 5 of 24
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    jmgregory1 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how making a watch that simply shows colored led's to "alert" you to notifications is doing anything more than your iPhone vibrating in your pocket. Perhaps there are other elements to this new line of "smart" watch that will track motion, health related items, location, etc., that your smart phone can use? It could then take a piece of the fitness tracker bracelet market pie, but I'm certainly not a potential customer if all it does is glow colors for alerts.

... at $695 a piece. And people think the Apple Watch is expensive. Crazy world.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    DOA
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Nothing says success like a committee-made watch led by Hewlett Packard.

This gave me a good laugh. So true.

• Reply 8 of 24
    Great looking watch and the colored rings would have been a cutting edge hit in 2006.

Cue HP's successor to the Touch Pad flop.

At this price point and do nothing feature set, this thing is DOA.

(Apple should take great comfort that the competition has no idea and no tech with which to respond to the ?Watch and where they do, they are compelled to make it compatible with the iPhone.)
  • Reply 9 of 24

The very concept of anyone 'taking on' Apple by 'partnering' with random manufacturers is a non starter right from the off because what makes an Apple product what it is, is the fact that it is the only completely integrated software and hardware package from a manufacture that is expert in both these disciplines. It's like two drowning people holding on to each other for support.

• Reply 10 of 24
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

LLOOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLLOOLLOLOL.

This is like McDonalds partnering with Whole Foods to create a more healthy burger.

Weird analogy.  Sounds pretty sensible to me.

• Reply 11 of 24

So the certain failure of this venture must be obvious to the partners themselves. Which makes me wonder: Is there some benefit to "being seen to be competing" in this industry? I just can't understand such a move otherwise. HP hasn't been great since the 15c calculator (and now there's an app for that).

• Reply 12 of 24

"forthcoming" ... "will be" ........ Apple must be terrified !

• Reply 13 of 24
    [QUOTE]"Engineered by HP is reinventing the experience consumers have with everyday accessories by making existing objects smarter through innovative materials, design and technology, to keep people connected to the way they live today," said Sridhar Solur, General Manager[/QUOTE]

...that sentence is why the company and its products are crap. all biz speak, no clarity.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Desperation move by these traditional watch makers.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    why are they even bothering to try? HP must be receiving a financial stake.

fail.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Hey, at least the UI is very simple.... Er.... Um.... I guess, since there is none.
  • Reply 17 of 24

This so reminds me of the iPod+HP.

• Reply 18 of 24
    "Engineered by HP is reinventing the experience consumers have with everyday accessories by making existing objects smarter through innovative materials, design and technology, to keep people connected to the way they live today,"

Wow, that was a mouthful of nothing. HP hasn't "reinvented" a thing. Their logan ought to me, "Chasing markets; catching none."

"At HP we're wondering what's happening. Before we can get our donkey harnessed to the cart, everyone's on to something else...??"

I give this product group the possibility of succeeding on par with the HP smart phones for emerging markets. That idea hardly made a blip on the HP profit/loss chart.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Unless HP can do better than Apple Watch, they should have filled a different niche. Typical of business types who spend their days with financial spreadsheets and negotiating golden parachutes for themselves.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    apple watch is simply horrible in every way
    so much hype about nothing