China's JCET wins orders for Apple system-in-package modules, may hint at Apple Watch plans

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited December 2015
China's Jiangsu Changjiang Electronics Technology -- better known as JCET -- has won orders to assemble system-in-package (SiP) modules for Apple in 2016, sources said on Wednesday.

A company acquired by JCET earlier this year, STATS ChipPAC, already has certification from Apple for its Korean operation, the sources noted to DigiTimes. JCET is expected to join Apple's existing SiP assembly partners, including Murata and Universal Scientific Industrial (part of Advanced Semiconductor Engineering).

JCET is said to be China's biggest semiconductor packaging and test services firm, which could mean that Apple is anticipating a significant demand for products using SiP technology.

The sources didn't identify which products those might be. Currently, though, Apple primary example of SiP design is the S1 processor in the Apple Watch, something necessary to fit so many components on a person's wrist.

Apple is already believed to be working on a second-generation Watch. Though its features are largely unknown, Apple is presumably planning an upgraded processor to go with it.

A third SiP assembly partner could help alleviate some of the bottlenecks that hampered the launch of the first-gen Watch. Initially the product was restricted to online orders, as well as a handful of luxury boutiques. It wasn't until June that Apple's own retail outlets began sales, and third-party chains had to wait until August.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    I'm looking forward to the next Apple Watch. I love this first one, and use it everyday. But the next one is bound to be even better.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    danielsw wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to the next Apple Watch. I love this first one, and use it everyday. But the next one is bound to be even better.
    Maybe the next gen will appear in 2-3 years.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    danielsw wrote: »

I don't want a version two until the latency issues are nailed.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    rogifan wrote: »
    I don't want a version two until the latency issues are nailed.

I think the latency issue will remain until nearly all of the functionality of the iPhone is migrated to the watch (thanks to the power of improved miniaturization and battery power management).
  • Reply 5 of 14
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I think the latency issue will remain until nearly all of the functionality of the iPhone is migrated to the watch (thanks to the power of improved miniaturization and battery power management).

So basically blame it all on Bluetooth. ;)
  • Reply 6 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    ?WatchAir
  • Reply 7 of 14
    rogifan wrote: »
    So basically blame it all on Bluetooth. ;)

Bluetooth: We'll suck less next year, we promise.
  • Reply 8 of 14

its not that tho. even native watchOS apps are slow, like the Workouts app, which often has me waiting for the menus.

and my third-party apps are still glacier. anybody else use the Hue app? its not even worth it, its faster for me to grab an iPad or iPhone and use from there.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So basically blame it all on Bluetooth. image

Quantum entanglement is the wave of the future... right around the corner... :)

Samsung is already working on it's own version... Quantum's AllTangledMess.

• Reply 10 of 14
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    [SIZE=6][B]WOW[/B][/SIZE] you guys jump to conclusions real fast here! The assumption that this is watch related I'd not justified on the information available. First it isn't unreasonable to believe that Apple will eventually migrate to this technology in their iPhones. Second Cook has already hinted at the possibility of other Apple products in the sense of wearables or personal electronics. Hell I can see Apple going this route even in the larger devices like iPads and laptops.

This won't happen over nite of course but Apple plans long term. Cutting the iPhones PC board in half for example would be a huge win for Apple and users as there would be more room for the battery and power usage would be lowered.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

WOW you guys jump to conclusions real fast here! The assumption that this is watch related I'd not justified on the information available. First it isn't unreasonable to believe that Apple will eventually migrate to this technology in their iPhones. Second Cook has already hinted at the possibility of other Apple products in the sense of wearables or personal electronics. Hell I can see Apple going this route even in the larger devices like iPads and laptops.

This won't happen over nite of course but Apple plans long term. Cutting the iPhones PC board in half for example would be a huge win for Apple and users as there would be more room for the battery and power usage would be lowered.

Agree a 4inch phone that takes a lot clues from the watch could be a brilliant target for this sort of technology.

I can see it for iPads as Apple has been favouring more parts and less customisation in the iPad since it's release.

• Reply 12 of 14
    We need the watch to stand alone. I will not get one until it can interface with the iPad.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    I love the watch, but it's "glacial" reaction, at times even in Messages, WLAN N instead of AC makes me sell my watch.

It's simply come to the point where I find myself more annoyed than enthralled positively by the Apple Watch experience.

Packed with shitty iOS9, which failed upon its promise in total (worst iOS ever) I am starting to get worn and torn about Apple products. As of now they are without match, maybe that is the main issue.

To me they focus on increasing profits only instead of making improvements. So yeah, expect an Apple Watch next year, but I don't expect better performance.

Apple really got me disappointed with the watch and ios9.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemacx View Post

I love the watch, but it's "glacial" reaction, at times even in Messages, WLAN N instead of AC makes me sell my watch.

It's simply come to the point where I find myself more annoyed than enthralled positively by the Apple Watch experience.

Packed with shitty iOS9, which failed upon its promise in total (worst iOS ever) I am starting to get worn and torn about Apple products. As of now they are without match, maybe that is the main issue.

To me they focus on increasing profits only instead of making improvements. So yeah, expect an Apple Watch next year, but I don't expect better performance.

Apple really got me disappointed with the watch and ios9.

I could maybe maybe understand the watch comments, but your whole rest of comments, especially about IOS 9, means I can't really take you seriously. Bye.