Unlikely rumor claims fifth-gen Apple TV will go into mass production in early 2016

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    sog35 said:

LOL. No way this is happening in early 2016.

We won't see a new AppleTV till after WWDC at least.

As far as 4k - I'm pretty sure AppleTV4 can display 4k. Just needs a software update. But why should Apple pay licensing fees to 4k owners when 4k media is so scarce? Once 4k is legit Apple will release a software update.

So you think it also has a H.265 HW decoder Apple can enable, because I don't see Apple enabling 4K until there is H.265 codec in use and their 4K content from the ITunes Store is ready to go.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,917member
    This could be desperate attempt by competitors to slow new AppleTV adoption. Yes, future AppleTV will get sooner update than before because it is becoming A platform in a Apple ecosystem. Early 2016 ATV5 is no way possible as there is no compelling reason to do. Question to ask is what is that current ATV4 can not support that the 2016 or 2017 ATV5 will support ? And do not bring 4K in discussion as not enough contents stream in 4K.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 23 of 41
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Soli said:

So you think it also has a H.265 HW decoder Apple can enable, because I don't see Apple enabling 4K until there is H.265 codec in use and their 4K content from the ITunes Store is ready to go.

The A8 in the iPhone 6 has an H.265 hardware decoder. I'm confident that the A8 in the 4th generation Apple TV has the same features.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    No remote app on iPhone, no iCloud Photo library compatibility, no Apple Music for now... And they are working on the next model...

They should finish this one ! If Plex wasn't on it I would have give it back to my Apple Store
  • Reply 25 of 41
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Not buying this rumor one little bit. Too soon.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    "The A8 in the iPhone 6 has an H.265 hardware decoder. I'm confident that the A8 in the 4th generation Apple TV has the same features."

Being used for FT video doesn't mean it'll be good enough for 2160p content from the iTunes Store.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Seriously! I just got mine! That's it! I am returning it, right away! NOT. I do wonder what are they going to integrate in the atv5. Other than 4K. Really don't care about 4K right now. But some mention conference calls, I like that idea. Wish Apple does it.

Finally! They are done with repairs on This site, haven't been able to comment!
    I like the new display for the comments, much better.
    No more like button?
  • Reply 28 of 41
    Come on Dudes, After 2016 Super Bowl, a lot more people will have 4K TVs. So Apple will have both an AppleTV and an AppleTV 4K. They're create a range of AppleTV products.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    There's no way the current Apple TV is what Steve Jobs was referring to in his bio. The one that was just released is their entry level model, to compete directly with Android TV, Roku, etc.. The real TV replacer won't be a box, and it'll be expensive. Apple hates their products requiring a non-Apple screen, so I'm guessing some breakthrough in projection tech. It will probably incorporate tech that they acquired with PrimeSense (aka xbox kinect motion control), and on the software side, a Netflix killer.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    Think interactive 4D. iPads and iPhones will have cameras/software to take 4D videos. Apple Productions is making its own, original 4D content already, no doubt
  • Reply 31 of 41
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    The current Apple TV with A8 does NOT support H.265 hardware decode. To those wondering the Facetime with H.265 feature and long been removed from feature listing.

My guess is that the A8 support H.265 via partial Hardware Decode, not native, hence it will be quite power inefficient.

The A9, according to Plex developers do support H.265 4K decoding with Native Hardware. Although such feature are not turned on in Apple's API yet.

Edit: Few more things.

There is absolutely no way to do 4K over H.264, not saying it is not possible to decode or encode, but the Bandwidth required for H.264 are not sustainable and cost effective for IP delivery.

The price of 4K Panel are already dropping, you can get a 4K 40 - 50" TV for less then $800 USD in Asia, that is Korea, Japan, China etc.... In 2016 they will likely continue to decline, to the point where 4K and 2K TV set have little price difference.

There is also a recent trend of decoupling the TV Panel and the Electronics. So in the future you can keep the Panel but upgrade the controller part. ( This should have happen long ago )

edited December 2015
  • Reply 32 of 41
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member

I could be wrong, but it seems the new ATV already has the hardware to support 4K, just needs the firmware to enable the cabability. This is the key factor in me not upgrading yet. Already have a 4K TV with built-in streaming and would upgrade to the new ATV if it offered it. The missing optical output, while annoying, is not a dealbreaker for me.
    What is your issue with the optical output? I just run HDMI to the TV and then use the TV optical out to my receiver. This works awesome. Not judging just curious what the issue is so I understand your perspective. Others have stated this also.
    That's how I used mine: only 1 optical cable is needed from TV to receiver. Why would people want to use multiple optical cables for multiple sources? Doesn't make sense. I also hate optical switch.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    This seems more like wishful thinking than fact.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    daven said:
    These new forums are whack. I had to sign up as someone new because it couldn't find my email address! Anyway as far as this rumor goes consider the source. DigiTimes has a horrible track record and hardly ever gets rumors right.
    You don't to know your old email address. I have several email addresses and just entered my user name and the password reset link was sent to my email address associated with this account. I then just looked in my various email accounts and found the ai email.
    I had given up after multiple tries as well. Then emailed AI admin for help, and they sent me a new password (as well as reminded me of the original email address). 

What is STILL not working for me is email notification of responses to my posts. Anyone else having that problem?
  • Reply 35 of 41
    I think I am going to stick with my @TV3s for now, and wait for V5. Since I am not at all into games, I honestly do not see the value proposition. Especially given the fact that the Watch and iOS remotes don't work. 

Btw, what would be the use case for the 64GB v. 32GB? I had ordered the former (then I decided to return it), but if/when I were to get one in the future, I am wondering how the extra 32GB will come in handy. 
  • Reply 36 of 41
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    daven said:
    These new forums are whack. I had to sign up as someone new because it couldn't find my email address! Anyway as far as this rumor goes consider the source. DigiTimes has a horrible track record and hardly ever gets rumors right.
    You don't to know your old email address. I have several email addresses and just entered my user name and the password reset link was sent to my email address associated with this account. I then just looked in my various email accounts and found the ai email.
    I had given up after multiple tries as well. Then emailed AI admin for help, and they sent me a new password (as well as reminded me of the original email address). 

What is STILL not working for me is email notification of responses to my posts. Anyone else having that problem?
    Whats now not working for me is an email notification at all. So I can't change my password ( which I also got from Admin) because I don't get a verification email to do it. 
  • Reply 37 of 41
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

However AI Admin were very helpful, to be fair. 
  • Reply 38 of 41
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    I would expect that Apple is waiting for the H.265/HEVC codec licensing issues to resolve before they support 4K.  While it is of course possible to provide 4K with H.264 today with very high bitrate streams, it isn't a mainstream offering due to the high bandwidth requirements.

The H.265 licensing situation is still not resolved where payments/royalties are clear.  Apple as the most valuable company is not going to open themselves up to litigation until the licensing is clearer.  Perhaps why they have removed H.265 from the A8's FaceTime feature notes.

Here is a link for some information on this & sources to find more.
    http://www.streamingmedia.com/Articles/Editorial/Featured-Articles/HEVCs-Journey-in-2015-Going-Downhill-and-Gaining-Speed-107891.aspx

• Reply 39 of 41
    pdnoble said:
    4K would seem an obvious upgrade considering Apple's demographics and availability in competing devices.
    The new iPhones take 4K video but Apple had to invent an in between HDMI 1 & HDMI 2? What planet did the engineer or bean counter who did this live on? If the port doesn't support HDMI 2 then the surround amplifier will cut the picture to 1080p! With the old box, you could feed the picture directly to the TV & the sound independently through the optical output. Tim has a few department heads who are out of date! Please, if the idiot who sells you a new UHD TV & doesn't also tell you that you need HDMI 2 cables, then you are watching 1080p. &  yes,  there is 4K media & much more coming. All movies/TV has been shot in 4K for 3-4 years. Hint, go buy a 2 year old copy of Lawrence of Arabia & note that it is 4K! Someone at Apple has forgotten that Apple's market is for customers who want the BEST! Like many, I waited for this box for 2 years & won't buy it. Using out of date parts ... How did Apple let Roku make a better product.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    lkrupp said:
    Not buying this rumor one little bit. Too soon.
    They updated from the iPad 3 to the iPad 4 in less than a year. 
    Soli