Apple releases faster USB 3.0 Lightning to SD card reader for iPad Pro

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Great stuff! Next, USB 3 cable please. Astropad is in need of you!
  • Reply 22 of 43
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    melgross said:

You know, it's interesting that the lack of a USB port, or an SD slot, is something that's actually preferred by large businesses. Both are major entry ports for Data theft. The fact that they aren't there is adding to security. Apple's adapters don't allow remote code execution as regular USB and SD slots would.
    Large business interests are not mine.  When did Apple become a company that catered to large businesses ahead of consumers?  Last time I checked iPhones all had cameras too, which a lot of large businesses also don't like.

Re. remote code execution, that's a barrel of assumptions and is not insurmountable.  Is code executable from an SD card in the Lightning to SD adaptor?
  • Reply 23 of 43
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    crowley said:
    What's unreal about that?  The OnePlus X has a dual slot SIM tray, with the second slot housing either a second SIM or a micro SD card, depending on user preference.  And since it's the same slot it isn't another point of failure.
    Internally, a microSD slot is equivalent to the space used by, what, 10% of the battery?

Let's not. 
    chiatallest skil
  • Reply 24 of 43
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    anome said:

appex said:
    Apple should change to standard ports in all its devices.
    when those ports do everything they need them to, perhaps they will. 
    More to the point, when there's ONE port that does everything they need them to, maybe they will.
    USB-C is such a port
  • Reply 25 of 43
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    palegolas said:
    Great stuff! Next, USB 3 cable please. Astropad is in need of you!
    Yeah, it's really slow. But how much is that due to wifi? But, according g to the company, they're working on a new version that will be optimized for the Pro and Pencil. I hope it comes out soon.

There are other apps that work well.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    crowley said:
    melgross said:

You know, it's interesting that the lack of a USB port, or an SD slot, is something that's actually preferred by large businesses. Both are major entry ports for Data theft. The fact that they aren't there is adding to security. Apple's adapters don't allow remote code execution as regular USB and SD slots would.
    Large business interests are not mine.  When did Apple become a company that catered to large businesses ahead of consumers?  Last time I checked iPhones all had cameras too, which a lot of large businesses also don't like.

Re. remote code execution, that's a barrel of assumptions and is not insurmountable.  Is code executable from an SD card in the Lightning to SD adaptor?
    And your interests are not mine. so what? Apple can come out with a product mostly, but not entirely, intended for consumers, and if industry is interested, as happened with the iPhone, morph that product so that industry and government will be even more interested, as also happened with the iPhone. Don't say that Apple isn't interested in organizational usage. It's estimated that 25% of iPhone sales are directly to government and industry. That now over 50 million phones a year. Why do you think they've been adding all of those organizational features to their products, both hardware and software? You will never even see some of those features.

As for the ipad, what Apple did, just happened to resound with large organizations. From the beginning, I read that they liked the fact that it didn't come with a regular USB port. So I imagine they like the fact that it doesn't come with an SD slot as well.

And if you'd pay attention to what Apple says, you'd see that they are very happy that last year, over $25 billion of their product sales were to the enterprise, up 40% from the year before, which means all large organizations, whether business for profit, non profit organizations and government. They've been tailoring their products for the enterprise for years, and that was well before SJ passed away.
  • Reply 27 of 43

cropr said:
    anome said:

appex said:
    More to the point, when there's ONE port that does everything they need them to, maybe they will.
    USB-C is such a port
    No, it is not.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Why does every article have to drag up some old dead argument?

iOS devices don't have USB ports. Deal with it. It's only been 8 years of runaway success without it.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    melgross said:
    No, it is not.

Fine. Apple’s custom implementation of dual Thunderbolt 3/USB C ports will be.  :p
  • Reply 30 of 43
    melgross said:
    No, it is not.

Fine. Apple’s custom implementation of dual Thunderbolt 3/USB C ports will be.  :p
    I don't think so. The Lightning port is more complex than those other ports, allowing specific connections to the hardware that the other ports don't allow. The extra connections give more versatility.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    hexclock said:
    anome said:

appex said:
    I just had the image of a thunderbolt port glommed onto my phone jump into my brain lol
    Thunderbolt 3 would be a good choice, but might be a bit complicated/expensive at this point. Maybe Thunderbolt 4...
  • Reply 32 of 43
    melgross said:
    crowley said:
    melgross said:

And your interests are not mine. so what? Apple can come out with a product mostly, but not entirely, intended for consumers, and if industry is interested, as happened with the iPhone, morph that product so that industry and government will be even more interested, as also happened with the iPhone. Don't say that Apple isn't interested in organizational usage. It's estimated that 25% of iPhone sales are directly to government and industry. That now over 50 million phones a year. Why do you think they've been adding all of those organizational features to their products, both hardware and software? You will never even see some of those features.

As for the ipad, what Apple did, just happened to resound with large organizations. From the beginning, I read that they liked the fact that it didn't come with a regular USB port. So I imagine they like the fact that it doesn't come with an SD slot as well.

And if you'd pay attention to what Apple says, you'd see that they are very happy that last year, over $25 billion of their product sales were to the enterprise, up 40% from the year before, which means all large organizations, whether business for profit, non profit organizations and government. They've been tailoring their products for the enterprise for years, and that was well before SJ passed away.
    How wonderful for Apple.  Should I withdraw my demands as a consumer because Apple are doing well as a business?

As I said before, large business interests are not my interests.  Apple's interests are not my interests either.  I don't understand why you think this is a response worth making to someone complaining about one of Apple's products.  Businesses that I have no relationship with enjoy a lack of features to my detriment?  To hell with those businesses, I still want what I want.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    crowley said:
    melgross said:
    crowley said:
    melgross said:

How wonderful for Apple.  Should I withdraw my demands as a consumer because Apple are doing well as a business?

As I said before, large business interests are not my interests.  Apple's interests are not my interests either.  I don't understand why you think this is a response worth making to someone complaining about one of Apple's products.  Businesses that I have no relationship with enjoy a lack of features to my detriment?  To hell with those businesses, I still want what I want.
    No, but you should stop thinking that your interests are important to everyone else, and that features for others need to be of interest to you. Apple sells product to a lot of different audiences. Like it or not, they will be adding features you don't need, or even want. They may even not add features that you do want because they conflict with features they believe to be more important.

Live with that, or buy another company's products. You don't have much choice unless enough others want what you want. It's a hierarchy of needs and sales. Yours may be low or high on that scale. It must be nice to be so needy.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    melgross said:
    crowley said:
    melgross said:
    crowley said:
    melgross said:

No, but you should stop thinking that your interests are important to everyone else, and that features for others need to be of interest to you. Apple sells product to a lot of different audiences. Like it or not, they will be adding features you don't need, or even want. They may even not add features that you do want because they conflict with features they believe to be more important.

Live with that, or buy another company's products. You don't have much choice unless enough others want what you want. It's a hierarchy of needs and sales. Yours may be low or high on that scale. It must be nice to be so needy.
    I'll live with that, while also making my opinion heard, thanks very much.  You're being very condescending about things that are blindingly obvious and don't need to be said.

I don't think it's "needy" to not be entirely satisfied with a product.  You must be very easily satisfied if the whims of big business are your first thought when it comes to new iPhone features.

All I did was answer a person who seemed to be implying that it was not "real" to think that a company like Apple could put a Micro SD slot into a phone without compromising design.  OnePlus have.  I don't even want an SD slot all that much, I just think it'd be nice to have, and the reasons against that you've given are bogus from a consumer perspective.  Given that 75% of sales (your figures) are to consumers, then consumer-facing features should be an Apple priority.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    OnePlus HAVE compromised design by putting an SD slot on their machine. 

They traded internal space against a feature, but might better have used it for cooling with a better chip architecture, or more battery power, or a slightly smaller device. 

That at was a conscious set of compromises they entered when adding that slot.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    crowley said:
    melgross said:
    crowley said:
    melgross said:
    crowley said:
    melgross said:

I'll live with that, while also making my opinion heard, thanks very much.  You're being very condescending about things that are blindingly obvious and don't need to be said.

I don't think it's "needy" to not be entirely satisfied with a product.  You must be very easily satisfied if the whims of big business are your first thought when it comes to new iPhone features.

All I did was answer a person who seemed to be implying that it was not "real" to think that a company like Apple could put a Micro SD slot into a phone without compromising design.  OnePlus have.  I don't even want an SD slot all that much, I just think it'd be nice to have, and the reasons against that you've given are bogus from a consumer perspective.  Given that 75% of sales (your figures) are to consumers, then consumer-facing features should be an Apple priority.
    They're obvious to you, yes. But your blind disregard for a realistic product line is what I don't understand. There are features I want to see as well. But just saying that you don't care about anything other than what you want is really the condescending remark here. I'm just pointing that out.

Apple needs to sell product. They have to balance needs across a wide spectrum of users. If all users said that they didn't care about anyone else, or Apple's own needs as a company, then Apple would go out of business. I understand that Apple does what it thinks it has to. Mostly, they're correct. Sometimes they're not. Selling to business is a far more stable business than selling to consumers. The reason why Apple stock fluctuates so wildly is because they're seen as a consumer company, with all the flighty buying that consumers do. Business sales are far more stable. And that good for us as well.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    The faster USB 3.0 port hidden within the iPad Pro now has its first official accessory:
    So there's an actual USB 3.0 PORT inside the iPad Pro? How does this stuff slide past the editor? There's no port, just a controller. Maybe this was just a play on words?
  • Reply 38 of 43
    The faster USB 3.0 port hidden within the iPad Pro now has its first official accessory:
    So there's an actual USB 3.0 PORT inside the iPad Pro? How does this stuff slide past the editor? There's no port, just a controller. Maybe this was just a play on words?
    I've seen writers make goofs like that with too much consistency. These days, there's rarely any editorial oversight on anything anywhere. I've read articles in the professional computer sites that would make your head rotate. They often get the most basic things wrong.

A major problem is cost. Except for the largest magazines and news organizations, no one spends the money for fact checkers. So too many things slide by. The way these sites get away with it is with by stating that the writers are expressing their own opinions and that the sites aren't responsible for them. Even when articles are obviously put forth as editorially official, we get that.

I correct many writers when I can, but sometimes, it's just too much bother.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 39 of 43
    melgross said:

They're obvious to you, yes. But your blind disregard for a realistic product line is what I don't understand. There are features I want to see as well. But just saying that you don't care about anything other than what you want is really the condescending remark here. I'm just pointing that out.

Apple needs to sell product. They have to balance needs across a wide spectrum of users. If all users said that they didn't care about anyone else, or Apple's own needs as a company, then Apple would go out of business. I understand that Apple does what it thinks it has to. Mostly, they're correct. Sometimes they're not. Selling to business is a far more stable business than selling to consumers. The reason why Apple stock fluctuates so wildly is because they're seen as a consumer company, with all the flighty buying that consumers do. Business sales are far more stable. And that good for us as well.
    What are you talking about?  Why would Apple go out of business from people on a message board listing the things they want from a product without regard to Apple's business model?  I have no power to make Apple do anything, I only have power over my own voice to say what I want, and hope that it effects change.  And in saying what I want from a consumer product I have little to no regard for the makers of that product, or the other users.  These are my wants.  Maybe Apple will listen, probably they won't.  And arguing with me about Apple's business interests is entirely beside the point to what I, and other users, want from our iPhones and reeks of Apple-centric apologism.

Apple could put an micro-SD slot in the iPhone, that is clear.  The OP that I responded to claimed that it was unreal, it is not.  Your follow ups are weird.

I think we've exhausted this line of debate, since you appear to be arguing something completely off the wall that I have no interest in.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    crowley said:
    melgross said:

What are you talking about?  Why would Apple go out of business from people on a message board listing the things they want from a product without regard to Apple's business model?  I have no power to make Apple do anything, I only have power over my own voice to say what I want, and hope that it effects change.  And in saying what I want from a consumer product I have little to no regard for the makers of that product, or the other users.  These are my wants.  Maybe Apple will listen, probably they won't.  And arguing with me about Apple's business interests is entirely beside the point to what I, and other users, want from our iPhones and reeks of Apple-centric apologism.

Apple could put an micro-SD slot in the iPhone, that is clear.  The OP that I responded to claimed that it was unreal, it is not.  Your follow ups are weird.

I think we've exhausted this line of debate, since you appear to be arguing something completely off the wall that I have no interest in.
    That's your problem. You're narcissistic.
    tallest skil