iOS 9.2 update should fix iPad Pro blackouts, Apple says

Posted:
in iPad edited December 2015
Installing the iOS 9.2 update should solve a problem with the iPad Pro causing the tablet to suddenly go black and fail to respond to touch or button input, Apple said in an updated support document.

"Updating your iPad Pro to iOS 9.2 or later might prevent this issue from occurring in the future," the company added on Tuesday. The document was originally posted on Nov. 19. The webpage still mentions a temporary fix, which involves doing a forced restart by holding down the home and sleep/wake buttons until the Apple logo appears onscreen.

The glitch manifested itself shortly after the Pro went on sale in mid-November. Apple acknowledged it within a week or so, but then went largely silent.

The iPad Pro wasn't mentioned at all in release notes for iOS 9.2. That update did make a number of other fixes, but mostly ones oriented toward general iPhone and iPad problems.

It meanwhile made a handful of upgrades to iOS, including several Apple Music improvements, a new Top Stories section in News, and a Mail Drop function for large Mail attachments. iBooks was updated with 3D Touch support, and the ability to continue listening to an audiobook while elsewhere in the app.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    "Should?" "Might?" "May?" What tentative confidence Apple seems to have in this "fix."

A person "might" conclude Apple "may" not know what is causing the iPad Pro blackouts. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 2 of 17
    I wonder why this only affected certain devices. I've never had this problem with my iPP.
  • Reply 3 of 17

My iPP didn't have this issue. 

• Reply 4 of 17
    There are also issues with the apple smart keyboard and global shortcuts failing randomly.  Disconnecting the keyboard and reconnecting solves it but it happens several times during use. Would be good for them to address these issues, as others have reported it as well, although it may not be that widespread.  From what i can see the 9.2 has NOT solved this issue.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    sog35 said:
    It fixed my blackout problems. Thats why I buy Apple.

If this was Samsung/HTC/Google the software update would takes years or maybe never.
    Untrue, as usual. DED made a song and dance about a security flaw in the S6 keyboard. Samsung had long since patched it within a few weeks of the security flaw being revealed.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    ejieji Posts: 39member
    As recently as last week I was actually seeing this problem on my iPad 3, which was running the iOS 9.2 beta.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    I wonder why this only affected certain devices. I've never had this problem with my iPP.
    Maybe hardware all sourced from the same location. All of the devices that use such and such tiny, insignificant chip from [insert company here] are affected, but the rest of Apple’s suppliers aren’t.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    cnocbui said:

Untrue, as usual. 
    no it isnt. there are plenty of android device makers who stated they wouldnt be applying updates to their devices. so what are you talking about? 
    chia
  • Reply 9 of 17
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    I had that problem with my iPP and I am glad it addressed that fix in this update.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    cnocbui said:

Untrue, as usual. 
    no it isnt. there are plenty of android device makers who stated they wouldnt be applying updates to their devices. so what are you talking about? 
    OS updates and fixing critical flaws are two different things. Which Android phone makers have said they won't be fixing critical flaws? Now about that OSX keychain fix....
  • Reply 11 of 17
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    What about all the other bad iOS behavior they didn't fix?

Apple doesn't focus on reliability and quality at this point. Every update now is driven more by promoting sales of some service or other product, rather than perfecting the current product. This iPad Pro issue, had to be addressed because it could directly impact sales of this new product. For those of us already entrenched into the Apple ecosystem, we can forget about attention to detail.

i was so pleased with iPhone 1 and 4 on iOS 6 and prior. I was so pleased with Mac OS X Snow Leopard. I bought in. Now I feel sort of like there was a bait and switch. Apple software gets more Microsoft-like by the revision. There's too much competing for attention of development resources and too little attention to detail (because details don't impact share prices unless they're marketing items).
  • Reply 12 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    dysamoria said:

Apple doesn't focus on reliability and quality at this point. Every update now is driven more by promoting sales of some service or other product, rather than perfecting the current product. This iPad Pro issue, had to be addressed because it could directly impact sales of this new product. For those of us already entrenched into the Apple ecosystem, we can forget about attention to detail.

i was so pleased with iPhone 1 and 4 on iOS 6 and prior. I was so pleased with Mac OS X Snow Leopard. I bought in. Now I feel sort of like there was a bait and switch. Apple software gets more Microsoft-like by the revision. There's too much competing for attention of development resources and too little attention to detail (because details don't impact share prices unless they're marketing items).

Stick a sock in it will you. We get it. You’re still mad that Steve had the balls to up and die because you like to live in the past. Just leave the platform and be done with it. Un-entrench yourself and move on.
    edited December 2015 wvdirk
  • Reply 13 of 17
    dysamoria said:

Ignore lkrupp.  He's the local Apple shill.

You're 100% on the mark.  Apple has serious software quality issues at this point.  I was just over in the El Crapitan forum on apple.com.  The parental controls are totally broken.

I'm trying to clean up some backups in Time Machine and the confirmation prompts are appearing behind the Finder windows and I can't click on them.  One round of testing would have shown this.

It's so clear that, with a lot of this stuff, it's simply not being tested.  Here is a great blog on the software issues:
    http://mjtsai.com/blog/2014/10/11/apples-software-quality-decline/

I think some of these people are former Apple employees.

Regards, R
    cnocbui
  • Reply 14 of 17
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    I don't have that issue since the last two recharges so I guess it's fixed. 
  • Reply 15 of 17
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    I'd like to see it fix this issue on my iPhone6...it goes dark
    often when a corporate automated answering service puts me on hold to reroute my call.  Until their system finally gets around to assuming I'm gone and disconnecting me, nothing works...But, Yay! - I can usually hear their hold music the entire time!
    It's happened when calling Apple, Verizon, and a number of others...
    I've no idea if the iPad Pro problem is in any way related, aside from identical symptoms.
    (And, no, even a forced restart won't occur.)
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 16 of 17
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

And I wonder whether it's happening to WiFi only AND WiFi/Cellular models...?
    edited December 2015