Walmart launches QR code mobile payment system to rival Apple Pay

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    cali said:
    The biggest news here is the final nail in the coffin for CucrenC. Wasn't Wal Mart their leading supporter? Their "big dawg"? Who are they gonna rely on now to set CurrentC as a standard? CVS??

fallenjt said:
    No one gives the shit about this payment system. Most Walmart shoppers are low tech with low incomes. They don't even use debit card right, so forget about digital payments.
    Typical AI user BS. They'll find lowest excuses and insults to toss around at anyone who thinks of competing with Apple.

I remember when Wal Mart announced they wouldn't support Pay users on here planned to hold up the lines at Wal Mart in protest.

suddenly iPhone users don't shop at Wal Mart.
    Neither extreme views are accurate.
  • Reply 42 of 44
    Sorry Walmart but on the rare occasion I actually use one of your unpleasant stores, I'll put out that old fashioned Amex card to make sure you pay maximum merchant fees.
    SpamSandwichstompy
  • Reply 43 of 44
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    fallenjt said:
    No one gives the shit about this payment system. Most Walmart shoppers are low tech with low incomes. They don't even use debit card right, so forget about digital payments.
    A Gallup poll shows that only 13% of all smartphones capable of making mobile payments in the US, are being used for them. And of those, 76% hadn't used them in the last month to make payments.

So most people aren't using mobile payments, rich or poor. So that's a real marketing problem. And you really think the people who shop at Wal-Mart don't use mobile phones, or text? Or play candy crush? 95 billion customers visit Walmart every year. You'd think at least 13% of them might use a mobile payment system on their phones. And if Walmart gives them incentives to use their mobile payment system, and promote it in store with a captive audience of billions of customers, they stand a good chance of foisting this mobile payment system on their customers, over any other that might already be available to them. It is exactly these "low tech" customers you should be worried about, because it's Wal-mart that's going to educate them with their system, before they even realize their phone already may have another method to do it. 

And its exactly these people you dismiss that carry around key rings full of shopping barcode fobs to get their "member" discounts. Transferring those to their phone and getting them off the keychain is going to be worth what ever steps they have to take to use the Walmart app ... In fact, why will the Walmart app be any more difficult to use than my Starbucks app, which automatically selects in my wallet, and available from the lock screen, when I walk into a Starbucks?

And here's what Walmart pay offers that even Pay doesn't offer -- trained sales staff who not only know how to use the Walmart payment system, but encourage customers to use it, Likely with incentives, and can do on the spot education of the benefits and setup and instruction on a customers phone. As opposed to Pay where a clerk doesn't even know they take Pay, doesn't know how to use it, much less help a customer who doesn't know how to use it, or is even aware they have it on their iPhone.

So write Walmart off if you want. In the end, they are leveraging the same strength of installed user base that Apple is to promote its services, with the advantage of offering the product as well as Apple's and everything else a person could need in their day to day life, all at discount prices. They are surely doomed.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 44 of 44
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    fallenjt said:
    I don't like the system that WalMart has chosen. Take a pix of a QR code, launch an app, submit payment info, wait for it to be approved versus Apple Pays TouchID and you are done - and you still get a printed receipt. You are really wrong about the patrons at WalMart (although their have been pix of some of them looking really odd). WalMart is a good place to buy a number of products - I too would not go their for tech products cause there is never anyone in that area and when they are they don't know anything about the products. That said price is a good motivation - if you aren't interested in saving money then don't go but don't imply that shoppers there are some how tied to low income ignorant people. Maybe you should review your shopping practices.
    There's a place called Amazon.com. Yup, with Prime, same day delivery for a lot of products and Prime Now within 2 hrs in my area. Also, Costco is 5 minutes away from my house.
    On the same note, no one gives the shit about Samsung Pay either. I was at the busiest mall in Silicon Valley and played Super Mario Brothers at the Nintendo Kiosk next to Samsung Pay presentation. For hours, no one came to their kiosk. Samsung Pay will have the same ending: DOA!

edited December 2015