New New Forums Feedback Thread

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    asdasd said:
    I think that we should get rid of the dislike button. In any forum where I have seen dislike options, the disliking escalated. A like button is like applause. Or saying "I agree and have no need to comment myself, since you put it so well".

A dislike button is like booing. People get more upset by negative feedback than positive feedback. If you don't like a post reply. If you do, and don't feel the need to reply, thank or like. 
    I think restricting a site to "thumbs up" only is intellectually dishonest. Yes, it's easier for trolls or harassers to pile on to unpopular commenters, but it all comes out in the wash. As far as I've seen here, no one has been banned or restricted based on the number of "Dislikes".
    It's not equivalent. A like or a thanks means I agree, no need to comment. At least that's how I use it ( except I may reply to add more to the poster's point but that's rare). 

If I disagree I reply, unless somebody already has replied and made my points, in which case I like that post. 
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 42 of 47
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    asdasd said:
    I think restricting a site to "thumbs up" only is intellectually dishonest. Yes, it's easier for trolls or harassers to pile on to unpopular commenters, but it all comes out in the wash. As far as I've seen here, no one has been banned or restricted based on the number of "Dislikes".
    It's not equivalent. A like or a thanks means I agree, no need to comment. At least that's how I use it ( except I may reply to add more to the poster's point but that's rare). 

If I disagree I reply, unless somebody already has replied and made my points, in which case I like that post. 
    A "Like" or "Dislike" is also shorthand for a reply. Not everyone is interested in formulating a complex reasoned response to every post.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 43 of 47
    asdasd said:

A "Like" or "Dislike" is also shorthand for a reply. Not everyone is interested in formulating a complex reasoned response to every post.
    A dislike is not an argument. It's a heckle. The forum is for discussion. A like serves the purpose of saying I agree without quoting the post to say that. Dislikes also annoy people. 

On a football( ie soccer) forum I moderate we brought in a dislike option. The main discussion was that year's manager. Those unfavourable were in the minority at the start. They kept getting dislikes. Many left. Over time the manager got more unpopular but he remained popular with our dwindling readership (unlike other fora) because as people changed their opinion they were disliked by the majority, found their posts disappeared, so more left. 

Total disaster. 
  • Reply 44 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    asdasd said:
    I think that we should get rid of the dislike button.
    I only partially agree.
    People get more upset by negative feedback than positive feedback.
    This is one of the reasons I would WANT a dislike button. Feelings don’t matter.

I’m in favor of leaving it as long as it doesn’t have any effect whatsoever on the visibility of a post.
    asdasd said:
    A dislike is not an argument. It’s a heckle.
    A like is not an argument. It’s a brigade.
    A like serves the purpose of saying I agree without quoting the post to say that.
    A dislike serves the purpose of saying I disagree without quoting the post to say that.

I have more reasons to dislike a dislike button than like a dislike button, but we may as well leave it for now.
    edited January 2016 asdasd
  • Reply 45 of 47
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    asdasd said:
    crowley said:
    What's this new post approval thing?  Just got a message that a post would be displayed once it was approved.
    I bet its down to the number of dislikes one receives etc. 

I understand why this might be useful for trolls, but not for users with high post counts. 
    Don't think so, it happened on my third or so post on the new forum, and I don't think I had any likes or dislikes.  jSnively says it was to do with the spam filter on a particular thread, and since it hasn't reoccurred I think s/he was probably right.
    asdasd
  • Reply 46 of 47
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

BTW, it is based on Discourse? If it is, then it is certainly one of the best Discourse mod out there.

Anyone knows?
  • Reply 47 of 47
    The dislike button continue yes to bug me. Any minor criticism gets piled on. Pointless and annoying. 
    durandal_1707