FAA sets out official drone regulations with Feb. 19 registration deadline

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    ktappe said:
    Watch manufacturers fall over themselves to produce drones weighing .54 pounds...
    What does that even mean? Is it some attempt at humour, because it makes no sense, unless I missed some earlier story.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    ipen said:
    What does this have to do with Apple?  Is Apple going to come out with iDrone?
    Apple sells drones in the Apple Store.

• Reply 23 of 25
    zoetmb said:
    dachar said:
    It will be interesting to know how this will be Ppliced and what proof will be required to enforce.
    I think if one is in a populated area and a cop sees you flying a drone, s/he is likely to walk over and ask to see the license and to look on the drone to see if the registration # is marked on it.   I think after the paranoia about drones dies down (if indeed it ever does), they won't bother as much unless they're looking to give out tickets because they haven't met their quota.    The article above isn't clear as to whether you must carry the actual license with you when flying. 

I've seen cops give tickets to a skateboarder who went through a light and I once saw a cop give a ticket to a 13-year-old who was riding their bike on the sidewalk, so I'm pretty sure they'll go after drone users (not that I've seen many people using one, not even in the park).  
    Maybe the drone would just broadcast its registration number on demand (the cop doesn't even need to know if its linked to name, just that its a valid one, so validation would be key or they'd be a lot of fakes).

Broadcasting registration number would be a bit like planes broadcasting their identity to traffic control.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    The FAA Modernization Act located https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CRPT-112hrpt381/pdf/CRPT-112hrpt381.pdf in the exemptions section states that the FAA can not make any regulations governing model aircraft that are 1. Used for recreation, 2. fly under community based safety rules( Academy of Model Aviation is the national organization) This is a law enacted by Congress, so the FAA regulations do not superceed a law. This is nothing but a power grab and further taxation(Registration costs $) Also, the FAA is unable to to enforce this registration process. There are hundreds of thousands of model aircraft in the united states. Just another example of Government taking our liberties, increased taxation and ignoring existing laws! A government out of control!
  • Reply 25 of 25
    Extend middle finger.