Apple issues first developer beta of iOS 9.2.1

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple on Wednesday provided members of its registered developer community with the first pre-release beta of iOS 9.2.1, a forthcoming maintenance and security update for the mobile operating system.

The new beta release is identified as build 13D11. Apple has warned developers that devices updated to iOS 9.2.1 cannot be restored to earlier versions of iOS.

Registered developers can access the update through Apple's developer center website, or via the Software Update option in an iOS device's Settings application.

The identifier of 9.2.1 indicates that the forthcoming update is likely a minor update with bug fixes and security updates. Apple typically saves new features and major changes for a point-one release.

The first beta of iOS 9.2.1 arrives just over a week after Apple release iOS 9.2 to the public. It boasts a number of changes related to Apple Music, Apple News, Mail, iBooks, and support for the Lightning to SD card reader.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Ugh!  Here we go again... not available through software update. I swear this happens more and more lately. It's such a pain to have to do manual update downloads then plug in your device through iTunes to install them. Sometimes it's in software update. Sometimes it's not. Guess which one is happening for 9.2.1?  Guess I'll have to wait till I get home. What's the purpose of iCloud backup if you still need a computer to get iOS updates?
     <GRIN> 
  • Reply 2 of 9
    razormaid said:
    Ugh!  Here we go again... not available through software update. I swear this happens more and more lately. It's such a pain to have to do manual update downloads then plug in your device through iTunes to install them. Sometimes it's in software update. Sometimes it's not. Guess which one is happening for 9.2.1?  Guess I'll have to wait till I get home. What's the purpose of iCloud backup if you still need a computer to get iOS updates?
     <GRIN> 
    Please read the article, It said Developer Beta. So you have to wait for it to get out of beta, and trust me you will get it.
    Trooperjbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Huss said:
    razormaid said:
     <GRIN> 
    Please read the article, It said Developer Beta. So you have to wait for it to get out of beta, and trust me you will get it.
    I did read it that's why I responded. I'm a developer!  I already installed it I was merely commenting that once again it is NOT showing up in software updates WHERE IT DOES IF YOU'RE A DEVELOPER!  If you'd read what I wrote you'd see I described that this is a problem with the DEVELOPERS download process - once again (as in this happens more and more lately). I never once mention public beta or upgrade to the public. The article was about us: DEVELOPERS. So I was warning other developers "oh boy, here we go again. Another unexplained "software updating' not working for us (developers). 

Had the article not detailed "available through software update" I wouldn't have commented, but it's broke "again" so you can only get it by using a computer and going into your DEVELOPERS account to get it - "what a pain in the ass". 

I read it just fine. It was YOU who didn't read mine correctly.  Honesty some of you guys on here are down right rude. Accusing someone who read it and responded correctly then attacking them is inappropriate and it makes me mad that I even had to respond but your smug attitude was obviously trying to make fun of me so I was forced to correct you in case others didn't realize a developer was commenting on an article about developers and an upgrade we just got. I was letting others know it's not working so don't bother screaming at Apple beta department just plug in your computer and get it "the old fashion way" this time 
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 4 of 9
    razormaid said:
    Huss said:
    razormaid said:
     <GRIN> 
    I'm a developer!  I already installed it I was merely commenting that once again it is NOT showing up in software updates WHERE IT DOES IF YOU'RE A DEVELOPER!  If you'd read what I wrote you'd see I described that this is a problem with the DEVELOPERS download process - once again (as in this happens more and more lately). I never once mention public beta or upgrade to the public. The article was about us: DEVELOPERS. So I was warning other developers "oh boy, here we go again. Another unexplained "software updating' not working for us (developers). 

Had the article not detailed "available through software update" I wouldn't have commented, but it's broke "again" so you can only get it by using a computer and going into your DEVELOPERS account to get it - "what a pain in the ass". 

I read it just fine. It was YOU who didn't read mine correctly.  Honesty some of you guys on here are down right rude. Accusing someone who read it and responded correctly then attacking them is inappropriate and it makes me mad that I even had to respond but your smug attitude was obviously trying to make fun of me so I was forced to correct you in case others didn't realize a developer was commenting on an article about developers and an upgrade we just got. I was letting others know it's not working so don't bother screaming at Apple beta department just plug in your computer and get it "the old fashion way" this time 
    Good golly, who pissed in your Cheerios?

The point is that @Huss made a simple stmt as a reply to explain why you might not be finding the Beta and you blasted him for not somehow defining that he was a developer! Is this how you want to be treated on this site? I rather doubt it - have a great Holiday Season.
    edited December 2015 jbdragon
  • Reply 5 of 9
    So someone gets to talk down to me like I'm an impatient child with "Please read the article..." implying i didn't read it and I'm the ass?  

I infact read it that's why I responded to it. I was warning OTHER developers "get ready it (updating from the actual device) is not working - again!"  The one who didn't read it was him. So because I actually read it, understood it, warned other developers, then crtizized someone who was rude to me because he didn't understand my comment - you guys side with the one who talked down to me?  That's messed up!
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 6 of 9
    @razormaid, nowhere in your original post did you mention that you were a developer so @Huss ;made a reasonable assumption that you were not. 
    He responded politely enough (maybe a tad condescending) but you responded by calling him a moron and went off on a rant.
    The kicker? In the same post where you called him a moron, you had the gall to say "some of you guys on here are down right rude".

It's perfectly reasonable for @damn_its_hot to wonder who pissed in your Cheerios.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    @razormaid Hi. I am a developer and never had the first beta of a new version via software update on iOS. (the behavior is different on the Mac) I have iOS 9.2 (not beta) on my iOS devices and do not expect a beta version to appear. I suppose the exact same thing is happening to you. You probably have to install one beta of iOS 9.2.1 manually and subequent betas will appear in software updates. Hope this helps. Have a nice day :-) (note: sorry for the formatting, it looks like appeinsider's forum engine ate all my returns)
  • Reply 8 of 9
    @razormaid, nowhere in your original post did you mention that you were a developer so @Huss ;made a reasonable assumption that you were not. 
    He responded politely enough (maybe a tad condescending) but you responded by calling him a moron and went off on a rant.
    The kicker? In the same post where you called him a moron, you had the gall to say "some of you guys on here are down right rude".

It's perfectly reasonable for @damn_its_hot to wonder who pissed in your Cheerios.
    Ok since you took the time to respond politely I'll play along.  But it was an article about developers getting the new beta, so as a developer I was acknowledging something written in the article - more precisely this:

"Registered developers can access this update through Apples developers center website OR via software update in an IOS device's settings" (I'm paraphrasing)

... of which I responded as a developer to the "this applies to developers only" story, stating "the software update wasn't working AGAIN", I then went on to explain giving out a warning specifically to other developers "here we go again I just tried and it's (software update) not working. I then went on to explain how this is becoming a problem on the developers side where we're forced to connect our device to a computer. to get these betas and for a company who wants us all to "live in the cloud" their making us go to our computers to get the updates .. and I'm told "re-read the story" because you're not a developer? and then people piled on me because I was the only one that actually DID read, comprehend and responded as the very person the story was intended for, a developer?  That's just messed up. 

Regarding my comment about "some of you people on here are down right rude.." well it seems everyone stepped in to that, because not only was the first responder condescending, the people responding to my objection were in fact rude to me for defending my qualification for writing in the first place, so it seems I was correct with that assessment as well. 

I appreciate you responding - I mean that sincerely - but the only correct response to my original state heft so far turned out to be the one after yours. An actual developer like myself giving a possible explanation to the "missing" software update problem. Thanks to that guy for actually reading my original comment and offering up a logical response; rather than "re-read it you're not not a developer!"
  • Reply 9 of 9

jeromec said:
    @razormaid Hi. I am a developer and never had the first beta of a new version via software update on iOS. (the behavior is different on the Mac) I have iOS 9.2 (not beta) on my iOS devices and do not expect a beta version to appear. I suppose the exact same thing is happening to you. You probably have to install one beta of iOS 9.2.1 manually and subequent betas will appear in software updates. Hope this helps. Have a nice day :-) (note: sorry for the formatting, it looks like appeinsider's forum engine ate all my returns)
    Thanks. At least someone understood my original comment. <GRIN> 

i I think you're right. Now that I go back in my mind starting with iOS 7, it does appear once you "start" the process with a new "number" (8.1.1, 8.2.1, 8.3.1, etc) the subsequent betas do pop up in software update. 

The he reason I responded originally, the original "fix" for this issue (according to Brian in engineering level 3 in Cupertino) was to delete the PROFILER in the devices SETTINGS -> GENERAL -> PROFILER... And in fact doing that back on iOS 8.x I'd did seem to correct the problem. My response to this article was to click software updates and low and behold "it's baaaack!"  There was no profiler to remove AND software updates was not accessing it. 

So my post was a shout out to other developers "don't dpi. Your wheels here guys just go grab it online and install via OPTION key hold down in iTunes". It's just when that guy write "re-read the article you're not a developer" it pussed ne off because GE wS the one who didn't read it. You did. You understood my post because like me YOU understood the problem I was describing because like me you ARE a developer too. 

Thanks for "reading", comprehending and offering up a plausible answer and not just berating someone who responded correctly in the first place (me). 

I just feel this site has some elitists who treat others disrespectfully at times and I thought it's time someone calls them out on it for once. I didn't expect the "mob mentality" to kick in - literally joining in kicking the person who did read the article and was qualified to give a qualified response just like you did to me. 

Movin' on. Thanks again. I guess we'll find out with 9.2.1 beta 2 next week. <LOL> 

joseph