How to track Santa Claus with your kids on your iPhone or iPad

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2015
As much of the world counts down the hours until Christmas Day, families can spend time together on their iPhone or iPad with these free apps that track the current location of Santa Claus.

Norad Tracks Santa

Perhaps the best known Santa Claus tracking method is NORAD, which has its own dedicated app available for free, designed for both iPhone and iPad. Upon opening the app, users will be presented with a 3D map featuring a rendering of Santa and his reindeer as they trot across the globe.

The North American Aerospace Defense Command has been running the Christmas-themed program since 1955. It began when a Sears department store in Colorado Springs placed an ad in a newspaper telling children to call a number to talk to Santa Claus, but mistakenly printed the number for the Colorado Springs Continental Air Defense Command.

With an influx of calls to his station, Colonel Harry Shoup had his staff check the radar for any signs of Santa traveling south from the North Pole, and provide updates to children. In 1958, CONAD became a part of NORAD, and the tradition continues to this day.

The "NORAD Tracks Santa" app is a native recreation of the event's mobile website. In addition to current location, it features games, videos, music, information about NORAD and its mission, and more.

Google Santa Tracker

Another way to track Santa Claus is the official Google Maps app for iOS. Simply open the app on your iPhone or iPad and search for Santa Claus, and you'll be presented with his location on a map, as well as the option to "visit" that location.

Upon tapping the visit icon in the bottom righthand corner, the Google Maps app opens an in-app Web browser to present information like current distance, gifts delivered, and next stop.

The Google Santa Tracker is also available in Safari on an iPhone, iPad or Mac by opening the Google Maps website and searching for Santa Claus.

For those curious, Apple Maps for iOS and Mac does not provide updates on the current location of Santa Claus. Searching his name simply provides directions to the city of Santa Claus, Ind.

The small town of Santa Claus has the world's only post office to bear the most common name for Kris Kingle, which results in thousands of letters being received there every year. Since at least 1914, volunteers known as "Santa's Elves" ensure that every child who sends a letter receives a response from Santa.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I am surprised that the US Government let this kind of security information leak out so easily.

If the terrorists know the location of Santa, then the terrorists have won!

In other news, they have been selling out of the "Tickle-Me-Elmo Assault Rifles" this year.

• Reply 2 of 10
    techlover said:
    I am surprised that the US Government let this kind of security information leak out so easily.

If the terrorists know the location of Santa, then the terrorists have won!

In other news, they have been selling out of the "Tickle-Me-Elmo Assault Rifles" this year.

or....we could just let go of the references..for one day, maybe...and let the kids and the big kids enjoy the day, leave fanning flames and reminding everyone of the crisis to CNN, whose sole job seems to be doing just that. happy holidays.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Gee, Is this the same NORAD that was responsible for security of New York on 911. Excellent news to brain wash children.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Better to tell kids that Santa was a creation of the Coca-Cola company and appreciate who really purchased their presents...their parents.

Why entertain fantasies that give kids the wrong ideas about how the world really works?
    edited December 2015 nasseraeeriamjh
  • Reply 5 of 10
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Better to tell kids that Santa was a creation of the Coca-Cola company and appreciate who really purchased their presents...their parents.

Why entertain fantasies that give kids the wrong ideas about how the world really works?
    Then they can at least enjoy the thought, excitement and magic, until they grow up and become cynical and dull.
    edited December 2015 dasanman69
  • Reply 6 of 10
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Who filled your stocking with coal? 
    elijahg
  • Reply 7 of 10
    elijahg said:
    Then they can at least enjoy the thought, excitement and magic, until they grow up and become cynical and dull.
    And have my children think of me as a liar? No thanks. I’ll tell them the story of Saint Nikolaos of Myra and how it was secularized.
    SpamSandwicheriamjh
  • Reply 8 of 10

Who filled your stocking with coal? 
    Being honest with your kids is the best gift you can give them.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    elijahg said:

Better to learn a history lesson, which I personally found "magical" when I was growing up.

You'd rather kids grew up believing they were powerless and unable to make a difference unless they were imbued with magical powers? I'd rather they knew that meaning and purpose comes from people and our interactions, not because of something alien or external.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 10 of 10
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Children couldn't give a hoot who gives them presents.  They'd be excited either way.  The whole Santa thing is just stupid.  

Feelings of wonderment and magic don't have to die if they aren't lied to in the first place about Santa, the Easter Bunny, leprechans, fairies, etc.  They grow up cynical because they realize people lied to them.  Teach them about science and love for their fellow humans, not about a magical bearded fat man who spies on them all year and then gives them gifts whose value is based on how much money their parents make.  
    SpamSandwich