iPhone fitness apps to help you keep that New Year's resolution

Posted:
in iPhone
Getting fit is ultimately about time, effort, and determination -- you can do it without any technology -- but there are a number of iOS apps out there that can help keep you on track past that critical first month.

Couch to 5K

Couch to 5K ($2.99) is a popular starting point for sedentary people who want to get healthy quickly. The app not only includes a nine-week training plan with voice-guided workouts, but Apple Watch support, route mapping for outdoor runners, and treadmill functions for gym-goers. For the diehard, there are matching 10K and half-marathon apps to follow up with.

StrongLifts 5x5

People beginning strength training should take a look at StrongLifts 5x5, which takes one of the most popular weightlifting regimes and not only teaches it but handles a lot of the menial tasks, such as recording sets and reps, and automatically increasing weights in subsequent workouts. The core app is free and without annoying ads, but in-app purchases add things like data export and extra arm exercises.

FitStar Personal Trainer

Those who want help but can't afford gym rates might want to consider an app like FitStar Personal Trainer. Although it requires a Premium subscription to truly be useful (costing $7.99 a month or $39.99 per year), it includes a variety of adaptive bodyweight workout programs for different goals, with demonstration videos and platform support including HealthKit, Fitbit, Jawbone, and MyFitnessPal, with weight as well as activity data.

Runtastic Results

Runtastic is well known for its flagship running app -- which is certainly worth trying -- but the new kid on the block is Runtastic Results, which focuses on customized bodyweight workouts organized into 12-week plans, incorporating video for each exercise. Results carries even more expensive subscription fees than FitStar ($9.99 per month/$49.99 per year), and its platform integration is limited to HealthKit, but the format could still be what some people are searching for.

MyFitnessPal

Now technically known as "Calorie Counter & Diet Tracker," MyFitnessPal covers the aspect of fitness that's just as important as exercise, if not moreso. It makes it ridiculously easy to record meals, set gain and loss goals, and keep track of both calories and individual nutrients. Because it's integrated with every fitness platform under the sun, it can even factor in workouts and real recorded weight. Essential features can be used for free, though a Premium subscription ($9.99 per month/$49.99 per year) is needed to unlock everything.

Strava

Strava is all about GPS tracking and mapping -- more importantly, for both running and cycling. Cyclists will often swear by the app, and it's not hard to see why, since it lets you create your own routes and track data that some similar apps lack, such as elevation and heart rate. There's an Apple Watch app, challenges and social hooks, and various Premium subscription perks like leaderboards and instructional videos. Those cost $5.99 per month, or $59.99 a year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I love all these apps.  I used them all at one time or another.  Definitely costs drive engagement for me.  The more costly the more I use it.  Each are reasonable.  Still searching for the best Apple Watch experience.  I need to change my band to feel comfortable running with it vs my nice stainless...

appSavy -just another app developer trying to lose 10 lbs.
    http://www.carrotpass.com
  • Reply 2 of 6
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    "iPhone fitness apps to help you keep that New Year's resolution" ... I assure you, fitness apps will be of zero help for me keeping mine! 
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 3 of 6
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    My new year resolution is to not support any developer who thinks to suck me into a subscription scheme. (Dear Apple: this includes YOU if you think you can keep castrating you apps and hardware in an attempt of taking my data and life hostage with a paid-for iCloud subscription)

All data is and should be local and P2P synchronized.

So no, not getting any of these subscription based apps being pushed here.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 4 of 6
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    rcfa said:
    My new year resolution is to not support any developer who thinks to suck me into a subscription scheme. (Dear Apple: this includes YOU if you think you can keep castrating you apps and hardware in an attempt of taking my data and life hostage with a paid-for iCloud subscription)
    dear god what on earth are you talking about?? what Apple apps REQUIRE a paid iCloud subscription??
    you seem confused. some of these apps aren't subscription based at all, and they aren't being pushed by AI.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 5 of 6
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    i use StrongLifts 5x5 three days a week. it's a free app, but the one-time in-app purchase is surely worth it for the warmups and plates calculator. it does a bunch of useful stuff that takes the menial work out of lifting (it even auto-detects when to deload and adjusts your weights for you), and i have no complaints. any beginner or intermediate lifter would be well-served by adopting it. it's been featured in an Apple app ad.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 6 of 6
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator

rcfa said:

All data is and should be local and P2P synchronized.

AppleInsider is also more and more morphing into an infomercial platform from what used to be a rumor and news site, very annoying...

what a claim. what actual evidence do you have that AI is accepting advertising dollars to publish articles about useful apps? be specific. otherwise, you're just full of it.

None, because it has literally never happened. I can't even imagine how many shits @nhughes would flip if we even suggested it. Probably a lot though. Like a lot lot. This is pretty par for the course though, in terms of internet discussions, and 'sponsored' content is huge on the internet right now. The Ad game isn't what it used to be, and publishers are scrambling for ways to make up lost revenue to stay afloat. We leave a lot of money on the table abstaining from it. But it's more important to us that we don't contribute to the layer of grime that has formed on top of the internet news ecosystem as a whole.It bums us out that this is the perception/assumption when it comes to AI. Maybe we can be more vocal about it? I don't know if I have a direct solution aside from making posts like this.

If you're wondering why we do round-ups like this it's actually pretty simple. People like them, and they're generally helpful. Oftentimes communities forget that they actually wind up in the minority when looking at metrics and engagement for a large website (not that metrics are everything, they are not). They also tend to be the most informed, so while something may seem "duh, dumb!" to them, there's an entire swath of people out there who actually don't know about something or could use guidance. You can also see this reflected in the articles we post as 'Tips'. They're generally not really meant for power users.

We like to think that we do a good job balancing both sides of the coin?

If you are really concerned about transparency, or have a legitimate question about something, make a post on the feedback forum. Even if you don't get a response right away we probably saw and read it.