Fitbit reveals Blaze fitness tracker with color touchscreen, Misfit launches compact Ray

Posted:
in iPhone
Fitbit on Tuesday announced the Blaze, its first-ever fitness tracker with a color touchscreen, while Misfit continued its alternative approach by introducing the ultra-compact Ray, further expanding the landscape of iPhone-connected wearable devices.

The Blaze monitors steps, sleep, and heart rate, though it lacks native GPS like the Fitbit Surge. To compensate the device can pull location from a paired smartphone. Through that pairing the Blaze can also control music playback, and display notifications for calls, texts, and calendar events.

The new screen is also used to enable multiple watchfaces, and guide people through FitStar workouts for those who don't already have a fitness regime. As with some other Fitbit devices, a SmartTrack feature will attempt to detect a workout if a wearer forgets to log it.

Buyers wanting to customize the device can choose from an assortment of frames and bands, much like a smartwatch. By default the product comes with a black, blue, or purple silicone band. In any configuration the device is only water-resistant, not waterproof.

Fitbit is promising up to five days of battery life, and support for iOS, Android, and Windows phones. The Blaze can be preordered for $199.95.

The Misfit Ray is a small cylindrical tracker for iPhone or Android meant to be worn on a band, bracelet, or necklace. While it comes with black silicone band by default, buyers can pay an extra $20 for a leather band, or simply attach it to an existing fashion accessory.

Since the device lacks a screen it relies on vibration, a multicolor LED, and a custom mobile app for feedback. It tracks sleep, steps, and distance, with options to tag individual workouts. Wearers can also set alerts for calls, texts, alarms, or inactivity, and even configure it to help shoot selfies or control lights and music.

The device is water-resistant to 50 meters and uses replaceable button cell batteries. It can be preordered today in black or rose gold colors, starting at $99.99, although it's only expected to ship sometime this spring.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Fitbit is down almost 13% today. IMO this product is a big fail. You don't need a big screen like that if the primary focus is just fitness.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I don't post much and I am not an Apple fanboy. But man, what a friggin disaster this product is. What the hell were they thinking!? I was about to purchase a Fitbit Charge HR, but not anymore. The direction Fitbit is going is absolutely horrible. I just want a slim fitness band with good battery life, constant heart rate monitoring and decent waterproof-ability. Fitbit had every chance to upgrade the Charge to meet all of those requirements and compete with their REAL competitors, but instead they choose to compete with Apple... and they will lose big time. What a stupid product.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 3 of 8
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    that display tho. my eyes...
  • Reply 4 of 8
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    sog35 said:
    That is one ugly watch. 

Look how MASSIVE that bezel is. LOL.  

For $50 more I can get an AppleWatch that does 100x more stuff and looks 100x better.

Plus the cost of the iPhone for the millions of people that don't have them, at least a fitbit can sync to different phones, and computers as well
  • Reply 5 of 8
    jfanning said:
    sog35 said:
    That is one ugly watch. 

For $50 more I can get an AppleWatch that does 100x more stuff and looks 100x better.

Plus the cost of the iPhone for the millions of people that don't have them, at least a fitbit can sync to different phones, and computers as well
    And yet you post this comment on an Apple based site meaning MOST people reading your comment will have a Mac or iOS device. Which leaves you to be nothing more than a troll. Incidentally since WatchOS 2 the device CAN be used on its own...ish.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    jfanning said:

And yet you post this comment on an Apple based site meaning MOST people reading your comment will have a Mac or iOS device. Which leaves you to be nothing more than a troll. Incidentally since WatchOS 2 the device CAN be used on its own...ish.

I have several Macs, when I joined this site Macs and the iPod were Apples products (I had both at the time).  Now I was led to believe that Apple Watch was only a watch unless paired to an iPhone, is this not the case?? (judging by the last piece of your message I would say so)
  • Reply 7 of 8
    sog35 said:
    That is one ugly watch. 

First: I am a user of an iPod touch. I love it. It cost me two hundred dollars less than the least expensive iPhone, without all the malarky with the carriers whose sole purpose is to cheat you out of the money that you thought you owned. The Apple Watch doesn't pair with the iPod touch; the Fitbit Blaze does. Will I spend at the very least another $500 for a phone and $350 for the watch which I will most likely only use for (A) telling time, (B) reading notifications and (C) tracking fitness (the Apple Watch's capabilities are limited in this area), or will I keep my iPod and pay $200 for the FitBit Blaze that does (check it out) everything I want the Apple Watch to do? 

Now, never let it be said that I don't love the Apple Watch, because that would be false. It's just not for me -- yet. And I'll bet I'm not alone.

Second: $50 more? WHO MATHS LIKE THAT?!?!? :wink: 

PS: I personally prefer the look of the FitBit Blaze -- what with its interchangeable bands and such -- to the Moto 360, which looks distinctly like a can of tuna. :D