Apple CEO Tim Cook earned $10.3M in 2015, Angela Ahrendts highest paid exec

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    foggyhill said:
    It's time you learn what they're currently teaching in business schools NOW; that view is faling more and more out of favor.
    LOL.

I am quite aware of "what they're currently teaching in business schools NOW."
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 42 of 55
    eightzero said:
    Think about this in terms of what those numbers mean. $25.2M/yr is about $70k *per day*. Think about that. 
    So what? Is there some natural upper limit we should have in mind? If so, why?
  • Reply 43 of 55
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    eightzero said:
    Think about this in terms of what those numbers mean. $25.2M/yr is about $70k *per day*. Think about that. 
    I merely suggested it is worth thinking about. That is a lot of money to me. I think about what it would be like to hit the lotto too.

Others might think about value judgments and equity. They are free to do so, and comment appropriately. 
  • Reply 44 of 55
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member

eightzero said:
    Oh...and our resident troll on such matters (Sog) claims to have just lost $40k. Angie makes that before lunch. Every day.
  • Reply 45 of 55
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    eightzero said:
    There are all kinds of reasons, not least is it apparently leads to better outcomes, if the past performance of relatively low paid CEOs and officers is taken into account. 
  • Reply 46 of 55
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

eightzero said:

Oh...and our resident troll on such matters (Sog) claims to have just lost $40k. Angie makes that before lunch. Every day.
    For what exactly.. And what if an executive hired for multi-millions is non-performing. What can the CEO do? Firing looks like he made a huge error. 

Doesn't seem to be much incentive if you get stocks rather than options. 
  • Reply 47 of 55
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    foggyhill said:
    It's time you learn what they're currently teaching in business schools NOW; that view is faling more and more out of favor.
    LOL.

Well, seemingly you don't from what you just said, and that's coming from someone who just basically doing a refresher business course/ degree ever few year....
    To add to all my engineering degrees I got in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

You stated dogma as "fact" and that dogma is far from being the dominant position now; though it was for sure 20-30 years ago.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    foggyhill said:
    LOL.

Well, seemingly you don't from what you just said, and that's coming from someone who just basically doing a refresher business course/ degree ever few year....

You stated dogma as "fact" and that dogma is far from being the dominant position now; though it was for sure 20-30 years ago.
    If I don't miss my guess, you are putting down someone who would be well qualified to be teaching some of the courses you might be taking.  You aren't the only person in the world with several degrees.
  • Reply 49 of 55
    As we read this article, let us consider how generous Apple has been towards it's employees a bit further down the tree.  A 9 month free subscription to Apple Music.  Lucky devils.
  • Reply 50 of 55
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    mjtomlin said:

Of course they do! But so what? How does that apply within the context of this subject? Employee compensation should be based on the company's financial performance. Not Wall Street's delusional valuation of a company.
    This may come as news to you, but a CEO works primarily for shareholders in the Anglo-American system of governance. He is our employee. His compensation is therefore -- apart from some fixed base -- a function of the value he creates for people like me. You may or may not like it, but that's the nature of the beast. This is the essence of the link between pay and 'performance' for most CEOs in countries like the US. 

Now, if Cook & Co paid me all those mega-billions in earnings as, say, a special dividend, I'd say double his salary. Triple it. But right now all I have is a claim on it, capitalized in the stock price. 

So it's perfectly legitimate to question the salary. Not one shareholder begrudged his $400M in compensation a few years ago because, at that time, he had created value. He earned every penny of that $400M. This year, he has, in objective terms, destroyed value. He doesn't get to have it both ways. 
    This is not quite accurate. The CEO of Apple works for the Board of Directors and can be removed by the Board if they fail to perform their job.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    Wow. I thought executive compensation is based on stock performance. Can't believe the stock is at $97 right now. So basically Apple is using its cash to buy back stock and then give it to their executives. Sounds like a good plan when the stock is healthy. But now?
    Admit it. You're Sog.
  • Reply 52 of 55
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    cnocbui said:
    foggyhill said:

If I don't miss my guess, you are putting down someone who would be well qualified to be teaching some of the courses you might be taking.  You aren't the only person in the world with several degrees.
    Well, he should stop teaching then considering was said was totally wrong (if indeed that's his gig)
    He did state something that's 100% not what's currently taught as a bonefide fact.

The whole tone, made me think of someone who lost a lot of money and is mad about it.

Btw, you don't know who I am either.

As for teachers, I've had former prime finance ministers as a teacher, so I think I'm OK
    with the level of teaching I'm already getting.
    And unless he's currently teaching at the doctoral level, I'm not really interested.

• Reply 53 of 55
    foggyhill said:
    cnocbui said:
    Well, he should stop teaching then considering was said was totally wrong (if indeed that's his gig)
    He did state something that's 100% not what's currently taught as a bonefide fact.

The whole tone, made me think of someone who lost a lot of money and is mad about it.

Btw, you don't know who I am either.

As for teachers, I've had former prime finance ministers as a teacher, so I think I'm OK
    with the level of teaching I'm already getting.
    And unless he's currently teaching at the doctoral level, I'm not really interested.

China Syndrome.
  • Reply 54 of 55
    eightzero said:

No one has lost anything unless they are selling. If they're selling into a down trend, they have no business holding AAPL.
  • Reply 55 of 55
    asdasd said:

eightzero said:

For what exactly.. And what if an executive hired for multi-millions is non-performing. What can the CEO do? Firing looks like he made a huge error. 

Doesn't seem to be much incentive if you get stocks rather than options. 
    Tim Cook fired John Browett not long after hiring him so I don't really get your point.

A CEO doesn't have to be perfect to be good.  It's rare for any human to be perfect.