Apple working on iOS-to-Android migration tool - report

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    I was trying to use Apple's tool to migrate to iOS from Android for a friend whose old battery would no longer keep a charge on a two year old LG. The app was not very intuitive, plus you have to be on the latest version of Android. Because few people who have Android phones are on an updated OS, especially those that are considering switching to iOS from an older phone, it makes the process very complicated. Eventually I was able to export her contacts as a merged vcf file using the command line and then load them through iCloud. Still working on getting the photos and music. What a hassle. I really don't think a micro SD card is such a bad idea for universal data transfer but it doesn't work with iOS obviously unless you get a reader and hook it up to a computer which is what I did for the contacts.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,921member
    If true than there has to be better reason than what we know now. I haven't seen Google created tool to help their many frustrated android users to help move to iPhone.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 23 of 34
    Geee... first read on theonion.com or such? And now someone tries to make a story with it?!
  • Reply 24 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,585member
    wood1208 said:
    If true than there has to be better reason than what we know now. I haven't seen Google created tool to help their many frustrated android users to help move to iPhone.
    As Lkrupp and I already mentioned it has more to do with the EU looking at possible anti-competitive actions on Apple's part in their dealings with the carriers. 
  • Reply 25 of 34
    lkrupp said:
    Why would Apple do this? Boo-hoo for European carriers. What, they're gonna stop selling iPhones if they don't get their way? 

Articles I have read about this elsewhere bring up the thought of European Union concerns about competition. They have already mandated the USB charging port standard so it is logical to assume they want users to be able to move from one platform to another with as little hassle as possible. It wouldn’t surprise me to see those idiots mandate the 3.5mm headphone jack. They’d even try forcing all apps to be cross-platform if they had their way. All in the name of consumer protection of course. 
    Mandating technology standards by force of law. How quaint. The EU is worried about what? That it be easy to migrate from the minority platform (iPhone) to the majority platform (Android)? They could do the same to Mac OS X and force Apple to make it easy to move user data to Windows.
    cali
  • Reply 26 of 34
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    dugbug said:
    I call BS on this one.
    That's for sure, this news maker article is my laugh of  the day.

Obviously originated by an insider on market trading, trying to push Apple shares even lower.
    That's ok with me, Apple is approaching my buy point.  No I never buy China stocks, I don't trust their info.

Or perhaps it's a Google/Samsung news item.  Samsung does need help.

What could be a REAL news story is Apple working on a tool to make it easier for the android switchers.

Another possibility would be BlackBerry creating a tool to make it easier to switch from iOS to BB android.
    Poor old BB, they once had very secure phones, now they are using leaky android !  Desperation !
  • Reply 27 of 34
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    If true I'd tell UE to fuck off. I know EU can retalliate but Apple needs to show they're not someone who can be pushed around.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    lkrupp said:

They’d even try forcing all apps to be cross-platform if they had their way. All in the name of consumer protection of course. 
    Of course, Mac users will cheer if it means Microsoft no longer allowed to make crippled Mac versions of their applications.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    gatorguy said:
    wood1208 said:
    As Lkrupp and I already mentioned it has more to do with the EU looking at possible anti-competitive actions on Apple's part in their dealings with the carriers. 
    I can't see that. What's anti-competitive about not helping your competition take your customers (rather than say blocking a vendor supplier app on the App Store). 

maybe the carriers just threatened to do this anyway, so Apple said "ok, we'll do it" but I don't see an legal reason. 
  • Reply 30 of 34
    lkrupp said:

Articles I have read about this elsewhere bring up the thought of European Union concerns about competition. They have already mandated the USB charging port standard so it is logical to assume they want users to be able to move from one platform to another with as little hassle as possible. It wouldn’t surprise me to see those idiots mandate the 3.5mm headphone jack. They’d even try forcing all apps to be cross-platform if they had their way. All in the name of consumer protection of course. 
    Mandating technology standards by force of law. How quaint. The EU is worried about what? That it be easy to migrate from the minority platform (iPhone) to the majority platform (Android)? They could do the same to Mac OS X and force Apple to make it easy to move user data to Windows.
    There is no evidence that the EU is involved here whatsoever. Neither in the original article nor the linked article. It's mentioned in the comments and suddenly becomes an article of faith. EU anti-trust laws are nowhere near as onerous as the US, it's often left to the individual nations. Don't confuse it with their belated tax crackdown ( which in the case of Apple-Ireland has, in any case, taken 3 decades plus) 

My fairly educated guess is, if true, it's because the carriers can do this or have deals with vendors of brandable software who are capable of doing it. They use this as leverage with Apple and say, we can do this anyway why not write the app and get information on why people are switching. 

The only possible anti-trust issue might arise if the carriers developed apps to do it and Apple refused those apps on the App Store. Then a case could be made, but even then I'm dubious. 
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 32 of 34
    I was going to add that the telegraph is half tabloid these days. Anyway certainly no EU plot. 
  • Reply 33 of 34
    sdw2001 said:
    Unless Apple sees this as an advantage, they should tell the Europeans to eat it.  

And in turn, get told by the EU to 'eat it'. Apple isn't some youtube-commenting pissant that gets offended at the slightest mention of a competing brand; they're actually a real company that does things real companies do, like make money and want to make more money. Telling the ruling authorities in a market of 503 million people to 'eat it' isn't in Apple's best interests. 

This story seems to be bunk, anyway. Apple's denied the claims last I read.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    volcan said:
    I was trying to use Apple's tool to migrate to iOS from Android for a friend whose old battery would no longer keep a charge on a two year old LG. The app was not very intuitive, plus you have to be on the latest version of Android. Because few people who have Android phones are on an updated OS, especially those that are considering switching to iOS from an older phone, it makes the process very complicated. Eventually I was able to export her contacts as a merged vcf file using the command line and then load them through iCloud. Still working on getting the photos and music. What a hassle. I really don't think a micro SD card is such a bad idea for universal data transfer but it doesn't work with iOS obviously unless you get a reader and hook it up to a computer which is what I did for the contacts.

The news is not true. Apple has denied it. It never plans to develop this kind of tool. While, the market is omnipotent. There are many similar apps available on the market such as phone manager and wireless transfer tool AirMore which can help us transfer nearly everything between mobile and PC. Above all, it's completely free. We all enjoy free service, don't we?
    edited January 2016