Apple adds night mode, secure notes, more in iOS 9.3

Posted:
in iPhone
The next point release of Apple's mobile operating system is shaping up to be one of the most important yet, with a slew of new features that help users sleep, keep their sensitive data under wraps, and get a better overview of their health coming in iOS 9.3.

Headlining the surprisingly hefty release is Night Shift, an oft-requested feature that automatically shifts the color temperature of an iOS device display toward the warmer end of the spectrum as night progresses. In the morning, it automatically returns to normal.

Apps that perform a similar function -- such as f.lux -- have long been popular on the Mac, and users have clamored for the ability to use them on iOS devices.

The built-in Notes app has also been spruced up. Users can now encrypt individual notes with Touch ID or a custom password, while the full list can be sorted alphabetically or by date created or date modified.

Apple says the News app will be faster to update, and the For You section is now smarter and adds the ability to play embedded videos directly in the feed. The Health app now displays Apple Watch activity natively and features a slightly redesigned dashboard view.

CarPlay has also received some love, with enhanced Apple Music integration -- adding the New and For You sections -- alongside better point of interest search. Drivers will now have access to a "Nearby" function that quickly identifies gas stations, parking, restaurants, coffee shops, and other frequently-requested points of interest with a single tap.

Apple surprisingly revealed iOS 9.3 earlier Monday, even before releasing iOS 9.2.1 to the public.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    I'm glad to hear about the upcoming security features for the Notes app. Using Touch ID to secure individual notes is a great feature. Hopefully the update will come out soon. 
  • Reply 2 of 21
    I am shocked at bad terminology on warm-cold in lighting. Daylight is 6500K and it is warm light most popular home light for night is 2700K-4500K that is actually cold. I hope everybody knows what Kelvin scale stands for. It is like saying that 32Fahrenheit is warm and 90 Fahrenheit is cold. You can use description of sharp or soft light, but when you mention warm or cold then use proper temperature scale. I see it everywhere this incorrect reference is on boxes with bulbs and now here. People skew proper terminology and then they think it is correct use because everybody else does this popular mumbling. Even f.lux got it wrong. Follow physics properly... do not create common lingo with opposite terms.
    jackansi
  • Reply 3 of 21
    I just hope they fix the Notes app. I made a shopping list in Notes on my iPad and it didn't transfer automatically over to my iPhone. When I got back and tried to make a change to it, the note disappeared completely while I was looking at it! Now this is probably an iCloud issue, but still it reflected very poorly on them.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Apple surprisingly revealed iOS 9.3 earlier Monday, even before releasing iOS 9.2.1 to the public.

Well now, looks like it's time to consider upgrading my 5c from iOS8, although it currently only shows 9.2 update available.

• Reply 5 of 21
    I am shocked at bad terminology on warm-cold in lighting. Daylight is 6500K and it is warm light most popular home light for night is 2700K-4500K that is actually cold. I hope everybody knows what Kelvin scale stands for. It is like saying that 32Fahrenheit is warm and 90 Fahrenheit is cold. You can use description of sharp or soft light, but when you mention warm or cold then use proper temperature scale. I see it everywhere this incorrect reference is on boxes with bulbs and now here. People skew proper terminology and then they think it is correct use because everybody else does this popular mumbling. Even f.lux got it wrong. Follow physics properly... do not create common lingo with opposite terms.
    Warm light has skewed toward the orange end of the spectrum and cold light has skewed towards the blue end of the spectrum. This has been common industry terminology since these industries have been around. No one here is making things up.
    edited January 2016 nolamacguynemoeac
  • Reply 6 of 21
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    The terms "warm colors" (meaning reds and yellows) and "cool colors" (meaning blues) have been used for hundreds of years. The earliest usage I found in five minutes of casual searching was from the 18th century. Griping about this is like complaining that people use "literally" to mean "figuratively", when that practice started over 200 years ago, and less than fifty years after the word "literally" entered common use. "Literally" has been used to mean "figuratively" for over 80% of its life.

Both of these date back long before any of our great-grandparents were alive. I think we're stuck with the contradictions.
    jackansinemoeacdrunkzombie
  • Reply 7 of 21
    That's because it's not a physics based description, it's an art based one. What you call daylight (6500 K which actually varies and is generally closer to 5600 K) is blue. Blue is a cool color. Conversely 4200 K light is closer to yellow or orange and it considered a warm color. Sharp or soft light has nothing to do with the color temperature - it's how diffuse the light is (i.e. how hard the shadow it casts is.) This is common terminology and has been common terminology for longer than you've been alive. And in any case 2700K is hardly cold - quite the opposite in fact. You'd melt your face off with any color temperature light if you put the filament to your skin. All light is hot, so we use the color for it's description - not it's temperature. You've got it wrong.
    nolamacguydrunkzombie
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Will this update allow searching within individual notes like you can on a Mac?  Mac users have been talking a lot lately about iPads replacing laptops.  In the case of iOS applications missing functionality found in the Mac version, what should Apple do?  Add the missing functionality to the iOS version or remove it from the Mac version to make them appear equal?
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Blaster said:
    Will this update allow searching within individual notes like you can on a Mac?  Mac users have been talking a lot lately about iPads replacing laptops.  In the case of iOS applications missing functionality found in the Mac version, what should Apple do?  Add the missing functionality to the iOS version or remove it from the Mac version to make them appear equal?
    Limiting the Mac to appease iOS owners is a bad idea.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    while true, it's also true that the term "warmer" and "cooler" can apply to visual shades of reds vs blues. thus visually it's fine to say a "warm yellow" and a "cool blue". this visual language syntax is what the light bulb retailers have decided to go with on their packaging spectrum labels, despite the actual temperatures having opposite adjectives.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 11 of 21

zimmie said:
    Griping about this is like complaining that people use "literally" to mean "figuratively", when that practice started over 200 years ago, and less than fifty years after the word "literally" entered common use. "Literally" has been used to mean "figuratively" for over 80% of its life.
    wait, what? id never heard of literally being used for figuratively until the recent wave of stupids. what data did you find to indicate otherwise?
  • Reply 12 of 21
    You are confusing physical K with artistic view on colors... blue-ish colors are considered "cold" and red, yellow are considered to be warm colors. Of course, from the black body radiation theory standpoint this is totally incorrect - and you would be right - 6500K is much hotter than 2700K.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

At that that battle was lost long time ago, blue light is seen as cold (even if it is more energetic) while yellow lights are seen as warm.

This has to do how we see the world around us with our eyes, and not physics. People don't think blowtorch when they think of heat, they think of an open orangy flame.
    Bluish colors are associated with winter, because that's what we see with our flawed eyes.

Warmth on earth rarely comes in a bluish color as seen by our eyes. With miss all that ultraviolet as things get hotter and hotter.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 14 of 21

zimmie said:
    Griping about this is like complaining that people use "literally" to mean "figuratively", when that practice started over 200 years ago, and less than fifty years after the word "literally" entered common use. "Literally" has been used to mean "figuratively" for over 80% of its life.
    wait, what? id never heard of literally being used for figuratively until the recent wave of stupids. what data did you find to indicate otherwise?
    Yep.  It's been a pet peeve of mine for a long time.  Literally is based on the word literature and it's supposed to mean "as it is written"...but rampant misuse has caused the meaning to be updated to "as if it were written".  It kinda leaves us with a gap in our language for describing something that actually is completely true or factual.  It should be "literally".

Things like this used to bother me a lot more than it does now.  If you accept the fact that languages are not static and that they are constantly evolving, it becomes a little bit easier to stomach.  But basically - if a large enough sampling of people misuse a word for a long enough period of time - our language will be updated so that their misuse actually becomes accepted use.
    drunkzombieafrodri
  • Reply 15 of 21
    I'm not sure what you are shocked about, since 6500K is much hotter than 2700K it's making sense. Says you set your camera WB to 2700K a picture you take from a light bulb will appear white while the outdoor photo lighted from the sun, which is much hotter, will appear orangish. Makes sense, no?
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Night Shift super until you get it is A7 and higher. Too bad!
  • Reply 17 of 21
    I want encrypted photo albums!
  • Reply 18 of 21
    I do agree with you maciekskontakt, but only partly. This hot-and-cold-colors thing is a particularly tricky language situation that, as far as I know, spans hundreds of languages (more important than how old it is). Why? For sure, your reference to physical terminology is absolutely correct. It also makes sense from a scientific and logic perspective, especially when you know the true relation between radiating objects and their temperature.

Contrary to what is insinuated in many article comments above, the societal terminology for color temperatures is not chosen arbitrarily, or for art reasons, and definately not for traditional or historical reasons. The artistic terminology follows from the societal language.

Here is an actual explanation for this situation…

Human language is formed out of associations, and the communication of these. An example of a common object that is warm is a wood fire, which is orange-red. A plate on the kitchen stove is also red when it's warm. Why then are the physicists saying that's cold? Actually they are not. What they are saying is that red light is emitted from colder objects than blue light. Remember, all objects emit light in a "window" of colors. Cold objects (yes, we are all thinking of the same definition of cold here) have their entire color window outside the visible colors, ie below red in the spectrum. When an object gets heated, this window will shift and enter the visible region from the red end of the spectrum. Hence, a fairly warm object glows red. As it gets even more heated, the color window will shift towards the orange, green and blue in the spectrum. If the object emits colors evenly across the entire visible spectrum it will appear white. Sometimes objects become so heated that they are white, but it doesn't happen very often in people's lives so it wont have a great influence on language. In even rarer situations, objects are heated som much that their color window is moving beyond the blue in the spectrum. Just before that, they will leave a visible tail of the color window in the blue. Hence, physicists are correct in claiming that this object is hotter than the red-glowing object. Most people don't even know about this last phenomenon however, so it will not be part of societal languages at all.

And then there are similar associations between to the color blue and things that are cold. Most of those associations are related to ice and snow which has a blue tint – especially if the blue sky is reflected in them (as mentioned by others above).

So you see, from a human language perspective that terminology is absolutely correct as well, because it follows the majority of shared associations among people as they are experienced. Unfortunately, we can't easily choose just one of these meanings. The reason, of course, is that we all come in contact with the "societal language" version first in our lives. And some individuals (cultures) never even get to the scientific explanation. We will have to cope with this particularly backward situation, just like we've done with quantum mechanics, relativity etc for a long time now. People's general believes are sometimes almost the opposite of what appears to be true, but it's stuck on that level because it takes too much time and effort to relearn. The scientific affect on redifining societal language seems to be on a plateau since a long time back. On the other hand, we export a lot of interesting new words from science and tech to society every year. So, I think we can bare with the not-so-techie people a while more. Don't you agree?
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 19 of 21
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Encrypted Notes w/ Touch ID sounds like a great feature for iOS, assuming it will compatible with the OS X Notes app.  I've held off upgrading to the new iOS 9 Notes format mostly because we're still on Yosemite.  I generally upgrade every other OS X release, but this might be the thing that gets me off the schneid.

As far as the whole f.lux/night mode thing goes, I had been using the hack from reddit with triple click but had to turn it off because (a) it was too dark and (b) I was always inadvertently turning it on with my clumsy thumbs.  If this works like f.lux on my Mac, I'll be one happy camper.

@maciekskontakt:  Maybe take a photography class or two?
  • Reply 20 of 21
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member

zimmie said:
    In 1769, Frances Brooke wrote this in her novel The History of Emily Montague:
    He is a fortunate man to be introduced to such a party of fine women at his arrival; it is literally to feed among the lilies.
    The Oxford English Dictionary was published as a sort of serials (think comic books, but far more boring) between 1884 and 1928, when its first full edition was finally published. It cited this usage in a 1903 serial that was later collected in the 1908 volume covering the letters L, M, and N. I do not believe that an earlier use in this context is known, but I would not be surprised if one existed. I don't have the full entry for the word "literally" in front of me. My memory is that it did not enter common use until the early 1700s, but I could be wrong about that.

The usage has been more-or-less continuous since 1769, as has the criticism that it is wrong. It is a fairly common introduction to the concept of prescriptivism versus descriptivism in linguistics. Prescriptivists say that there is a right way to use language, and using "literally" to mean figuratively is wrong. Descriptivists simply note that people use "literally" to mean figuratively. One of these is science, the other is not.

My point, though, is that the use of the word "literally" as an emphatic predates the United States of America. It is a very old usage.
    john.b