Microsoft rep pans iPad Pro, says Apple's tablet is 'always going to be a companion device'

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 86
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mattinoz said:
    Obviously fingers are the primary input, but you stated that he meant the stylus as the primary input. Show me where he said that the stylus is no good if used only as the primary input. 
    Transcript of iPhone launch in January 2007 or at least the three minutes SJ talks about the design logic of the iPhone, of note he hasn't really shown the device at this time it still in his pocket. So yes this is mostly about building a sales pitch against the current market and trying to get people to embrace a new idea in the market.

"[0:30:59]
    So, we’re gonna reinvent the phone. [0:31:01]
    Now, we’re gonna start… with a revolutionary user interface.. is the result of years of research and development, and of course, it’s an interplay of hardware and software.
    Now, why do we need a revolutionary user interface? I mean, Here’s four smart phones, right? Motorola Q, the BlackBerry, Palm Treo, Nokia E62 – the usual suspects. [0:31:33]
    And, what’s wrong with their user interfaces? Well, the problem with them is really sort of in the bottom 40 there. It’s, it’s this stuff right here.
    They all have these keyboards that are there whether you need them or not to be there.
    And they all have these control buttons that are fixed in plastic and are the same for every application. Well, every application wants a slightly different user interface, a slightly optimized set of buttons, just for it.
    And what happens if you think of a great idea six months from now? You can’t run around and add a button to these things. They’re already shipped. [0:32:07]
    So what do you do?
    It doesn’t work because the buttons and the controls can’t change. They can’t change for each application, and they can’t change down the road if you think of another great idea you wanna add to this product. [0:32:22]

Well, how do you solve this?
    Hmm. It turns out, we have solved it! [0:32:27]
    We solved it in computers 20 years ago. We solved it with a bit-mapped screen that could display anything we want. Put any user interface up. And a pointing device. We solved it with the mouse. Right?
    We solved this problem. So how’re we gonna take this to a mobile device?
    What we gonna do is get rid of all these buttons and just make a giant screen.
    A giant screen. [0:32:54]
    Now, how are we gonna communicate this? We don’t wanna carry around a mouse, right?
    So what are we gonna do? Oh, a stylus, right?
    We’re gonna use a stylus.
    No. No. Who wants a stylus?
    You have to get em and put em away, and you lose em. Yuck.
    Nobody wants a stylus. So let’s not use a stylus.
    We’re gonna use the best pointing device in the world. We’re gonna use a pointing device that we’re all born with – we’re born with ten of them. We’re gonna use our fingers.
    We’re gonna touch this with our fingers. And we have invented a new technology called multi-touch, which is phenomenal. [0:33:33]
    It works like magic.
    You don’t need a stylus. It’s far more accurate than any touch display that’s ever been shipped.
    It ignores unintended touches, it’s super-smart.
    You can do multi-finger gestures on it.
    And boy, have we patented it. [0:33:54]"

Transcript is from http://www.european-rhetoric.com/analyses/ikeynote-analysis-iphone/transcript-2007/
    only because it was the first one in google. 

You didn't answer the question, and why didn't you include what he said pertaining the iPad and the stylus because tablets is what's being discussed here not smartphones.  
  • Reply 82 of 86
    "You took it out of context!" -- the typical excuse given by loud-mouthed celebrities, executives, politicians, and religious figures when caught in an embarrassing situation.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 83 of 86
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    mattinoz said:
    quote for iPhone launch sure he doesn't say primary input but in context it's pretty clear fingers are the input.
     http://quotes.lifehack.org/quote/steve-jobs/so-lets-not-use-a-stylus-were/
    Obviously fingers are the primary input, but you stated that he meant the stylus as the primary input. Show me where he said that the stylus is no good if used only as the primary input. 
    http://fusion.net/story/195317/apple-stylus-pencil-steve-jobs/
  • Reply 84 of 86
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    tmay said:
    http://fusion.net/story/195317/apple-stylus-pencil-steve-jobs/
    SJ went from needing a stylus to just merely seeing one as a failure. 
  • Reply 85 of 86
    More of this "runs full Apps" bull$hit.

I wonder what all those iPads used in enterprise/corporate (where they completely dominate everyone else) are being used for? Playing games at meetings while the laptop beside them is being used for work?

Edited: I forgot to add, if MS keeps making statements like this Apple won't invite you on stage at their next keynote.
    There being used data entry and retrieval, example; checking stock, retrieving customer data, etc. Sale's might use them for CRM or even note taking but I have yet to have seen anyone use an iPad as a stand alone computer in a Enterprise setting, nor do I think anyone would want to if they where given the choice, just to many compromises. Though mobile versions of say MS Office are available, they are a far cry from their desktop counterparts. When I still worked fo UBS, the Clearing department would use Excel almost like a OS, with full blown apps created in Visual Basic. Excel for the iPad is really designed for viewing and light data entry, editing. All of this is moot though if you can't even connect the iPad to the network without LDAP support. The iPad is fine for vertical markets but in no way would it be utilized as a PC or laptop replacement the way a Surface Pro 4 is.
  • Reply 86 of 86

fallenjt said:
    MS SurfaceBook is a flop 
    In what way, though I don't have one, I have used one very extensively as I had the opportunity to set one up for a friend. I really liked it, not only was it fast, had a fantastic display, was extremely light, awesome battery (14 hours), but at 1500 dollars it's priced fairly well, 1700 for the GPU model. Buying the i7 version is a waste of money as the difference in speed is only about 10%. So the two modelsI listed really are the only two that people should be looking at, unless they need 16GB, which will run 1900.