Year-old Android 5 Lollipop on 33% of Google Play users, but only 20% of devices in China

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said:
    williamh said:
    I'd guess that the numbers are actually worse than reported.  Google is reporting the OS versions of phones that visited the Google Play store.  Are people with the most obsolete phones more or less likely to be visiting the Google Play store than people with new phones?  I'd argue that people with new phones are much more likely to visit that store.
    Aren't Apple's iOS version adoption rates based on App Store visits too? I thought they were but not entirely certain. 

Deflection much? Some history for you:

- Google used to count devices that checked into their servers. This gave a very accurate reflection of the total number of devices at each version level.
    - Google changed their method of tracking so it only counted users who visited the Play Store. They claimed this was better for developers as it showed people who are more likely to buy Apps, not total users (many on older versions who probably don't buy many Apps).
    - When Google made this change, usage for newer versions shot up and older versions went down, making it appear more users were on newer versions.
    - Apple NEVER used to publish a chart showing iOS adoption rates.
    - After Google switched counting methods, Apple introduced their own version usage chart, and used the same counting method as Google (and poked fun at Google at the same time).

Hope I cleared that up for you.
    Didn't need to clear anything up for me Eric. I think I understand it all pretty clearly, but for the benefit of casual readers/visitors: 

Of course it makes more sense to tally rates by those checking into Google Play. The rates aren't tabulated for grins (or to have clickbait fodder). They are reported for the benefit of developers who could not care less how many devices DON'T visit Google Play. Apple does so for the exact same reason. 

So the version breakdowns are for developer use and thus appropriately use appstore visits despite the fact that media and forum commenters then choose to use the numbers for claiming things as fact that neither Apple nor Google intended to be read from the numbers.  So hope that's clear it up for readers, other than yourself of course since you already knew this.

edited January 2016 techloverlord amhransingularitycnocbui
  • Reply 22 of 37
    lolliver said:
    Google just needs to copy Apple and give users a daily pop-up to upgrade the OS that you cannot dismiss, only snooze for 24 hours.  That would certainly improve adoption rates

or were you just trying to take a dig at Apple because you find those messages anoying? Because if you don't like being reminded to update your OS you should just go with Android and then it wouldn't even be an option. 
    Lol yeah - just digging at Apple.  Sorry, a popup every day to upgrade is annoying as fuck.  Been down the Android road before and have no desire to go back.  My 6s+ is on 9.1, but I think I'll just leave my iPad Mini on 7.1.2.  Still works flawlessly.  :)
    techlover
  • Reply 23 of 37
    gatorguy said:

- Google used to count devices that checked into their servers. This gave a very accurate reflection of the total number of devices at each version level.
    - Google changed their method of tracking so it only counted users who visited the Play Store. They claimed this was better for developers as it showed people who are more likely to buy Apps, not total users (many on older versions who probably don't buy many Apps).
    - When Google made this change, usage for newer versions shot up and older versions went down, making it appear more users were on newer versions.
    - After Google switched counting methods, Apple introduced their own version usage chart, and used the same counting method as Google (and poked fun at Google at the same time).

Didn't need to clear anything up for me Eric. I think I understand it all pretty clearly, but for the benefit of casual readers/visitors: 

Of course it makes more sense to tally rates by those checking into Google Play. The rates aren't tabulated for grins (or to have clickbait fodder). They are reported for the benefit of developers who could not care less how many devices DON'T visit Google Play. Apple does so for the exact same reason. 

So the version breakdowns are for developer use and thus appropriately use appstore visits despite the fact that media and forum commenters then choose to use the numbers for claiming things as fact that neither Apple nor Google intended to be read from the numbers.  So hope that's clear it up for readers, other than yourself of course since you already knew this.

Still up up to your old tricks.

First off, you claimed "Apple does so for the exact reason."  I'm going to need a source for that. Based on the comments made the first time Apple used this chart, and the timing, it's clear they only released this chart to take a shot at Google. iOS developers don't need a version chart to help them decide who to target.

Secondly, you use the same tactic in your post you always do (concern troll asking what appears to be a legitimate wuestion). You acted as if you weren't sure how Apple counted their numbers when you absolutely knew how they counted. I'm curious why you feign ignorance in your posts? Never mind, I know why. It's part f the concern troll repertoire.
    lolliver
  • Reply 24 of 37
    gatorguy said:

First off, you claimed "Apple does so for the exact reason."  I'm going to need a source for that. Based on the comments made the first time Apple used this chart, and the timing, it's clear they only released this chart to take a shot at Google. iOS developers don't need a version chart to help them decide who to target.

Secondly, you use the same tactic in your post you always do (concern troll asking what appears to be a legitimate wuestion). You acted as if you weren't sure how Apple counted their numbers when you absolutely knew how they counted. I'm curious why you feign ignorance in your posts? Never mind, I know why. It's part f the concern troll repertoire.
    Tricks? Unlike some posters I don't write something as fact unless I'm darn sure it's correct. I wasn't certain where AI was sourcing their numbers when I posted, and assumed it was the numbers based on App Store visits. Odd that it concerned you in any way but thanks for at least confirming what I thought the numbers meant.

...and concern troll? LOL! What would the concern be. Nice attempt at deflection with the added personal insult bonus tho. Some things don't change even with the forum update. Sad too as it's the perfect opportunity for things to become more civil instead of insulting.
    edited January 2016 techloversingularitycnocbuilord amhran
  • Reply 25 of 37
    gatorguy said:

First off, you claimed "Apple does so for the exact reason."  I'm going to need a source for that. Based on the comments made the first time Apple used this chart, and the timing, it's clear they only released this chart to take a shot at Google. 
    Surely you're not serious. You really think Apple's management is that petty? What would be the benefit? They're not lacking in either revenue or reputation. and surely don't need validation for what they've created. Those are the only reasons I can think of to ridicule others, and none would apply to Apple. 
    edited January 2016 lord amhran
  • Reply 26 of 37
    gatorguy said:

Tricks? Unlike some posters I don't write something as fact unless I'm darn sure it's correct. I wasn't certain where AI was sourcing their numbers when I posted, and assumed it was the numbers based on App Store visits. Odd that it concerned you in any way but thanks for at least confirming what I thought the numbers meant.

...and concern troll? LOL! What would the concern be. Nice attempt at deflection with the added personal insult bonus tho. Some things don't change even with the forum update. Sad too as it's the perfect opportunity for things to become more civil instead of insulting.
    I have come to realize that looking for things to be civil instead of insulting is often hard to come by.
    singularitycnocbui
  • Reply 27 of 37
    gatorguy said:

First off, you claimed "Apple does so for the exact reason."  I'm going to need a source for that. Based on the comments made the first time Apple used this chart, and the timing, it's clear they only released this chart to take a shot at Google. 
    Surely you're not serious. You really think Apple's management is that petty? What would be the benefit? They're not lacking in either revenue or reputation. and surely don't need validation for what they've created. Those are the only reasons I can think of to ridicule others, and none would apply to Apple. 

So you have no source then. That's what I thought. Yet that didn't stop you from claiming that "Apple does so for the exact same reason."

You can call it petty if you want, but Apple has taken numerous digs at Android over the years. Surely you can't be so blind as to have missed them all. Like Cook referring to Android as a "toxic hell stew" (a quote borrowed from a ZDNet article). They even had accompanying slides.
    lolliver
  • Reply 28 of 37
    gatorguy said:

So you have no source then. That's what I thought. Yet that didn't stop you from claiming that "Apple does so for the exact same reason."

You can call it petty if you want, but Apple has taken numerous digs at Android over the years. Surely you can't be so blind as to have missed them all. Like Cook referring to Android as a "toxic hell stew" (a quote borrowed from a ZDNet article). They even had accompanying slides.
    Of course I have evidence. Where are the Apple numbers reported? Why in the developer support pages. Huh, imagine that. So of course the numbers are intended for developer reference. Seems like common sense.
    https://developer.apple.com/support/app-store/

That you wish to apply some hidden devious reasoning to it doesn't make it fact.  Feel free to offer evidence for your position tho.

edited January 2016 techloverlord amhran
  • Reply 29 of 37
    Surely you can't be so blind as to have missed them all. Like Cook referring to Android as a "toxic hell stew" (a quote borrowed from a ZDNet article). They even had accompanying slides.
    Now that you brought it up I thought it was pretty surprising at the time, somewhat beneath Mr. Cook. But as is often the case the "obvious" reason might not be the real one. Companies often use deflection when problematic issues arise involving them. At that specific time China was claiming that Apple's products were essentially malware, spying on Chinese users. (and that too was not the real reason IMO but that's a different discussion). There was a lot of pressure on Apple and their product plans in the Chinese market, a sudden big pothole. My suspicion is that Mr. Cook's comments had Chinese officials more in mind as his audience, more like "it's not us you should be worried about". As mentioned by Apple several times in the past couple of years, China is hugely important to their continued future success. 
    edited January 2016 lord amhran
  • Reply 30 of 37
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    Fresh, most OEMs don't give users the option to upgrade to the latest OS. 
    freshmaker
  • Reply 31 of 37
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,344member
    gatorguy said:
    Now that you brought it up I thought it was pretty surprising at the time, somewhat beneath Mr. Cook. But as is often the case the "obvious" reason might not be the real one. Companies often use deflection when problematic issues arise involving them. At that specific time China was claiming that Apple's products were essentially malware, spying on Chinese users. (and that too was not the real reason IMO but that's a different discussion). There was a lot of pressure on Apple and their product plans in the Chinese market, a sudden big pothole. My suspicion is that Mr. Cook's comments had Chinese officials more in mind as his audience, more like "it's not us you should be worried about". As mentioned by Apple several times in the past couple of years, China is hugely important to their continued future success. 
    Here's another link:

http://www.businessinsider.com/apples-tim-cook-just-ripped-android-to-shreds-2014-6

"Android fragmentation is turning devices into a toxic hell stew of vulnerabilities"

Adrian Kingley-Huges, ZDNET.

It was a slide that Tim Cook showed and commented on at the developers conference, directed at developers, not Chinese Government Officials. You made up your own context to fit; not the first time.
    lolliver
  • Reply 32 of 37
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    Here's another link:

http://www.businessinsider.com/apples-tim-cook-just-ripped-android-to-shreds-2014-6

"Android fragmentation is turning devices into a toxic hell stew of vulnerabilities"

It was a slide that Tim Cook showed and commented on at the developers conference, directed at developers, not Chinese Government Officials. You made up your own context to fit; not the first time.
    I know full well where he was when he decided there was a need to call out Android. That doesn't mean the intended audience was simply developers. They're already on board.   ;)

Frankly I'm surprised that you too believe Apple management, and Mr. Cook in particular, is so petty. I don't. That I would have a higher regard for his integrity than supposed dyed-in-the-wool Apple fans such as Eric and yourself is another big surprise. I firmly believe he had a motivation beyond the schoolyard taunt equivalent of "my dad can beat up your dad". IMO it was the Chinese. 
    edited January 2016 singularity
  • Reply 33 of 37
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    Here's another link:

I know full well where he was when he decided there was a need to call out Android. That doesn't mean the intended audience was simply developers. They're already on board.  

Frankly I'm surprised that you too believe Apple management, and Mr. Cook in particular, is so petty. I don't. That I would have a higher regard for his integrity than supposed dyed-in-the-wool Apple fans such as Eric and yourself is another big surprise. I firmly believe he had a motivation beyond the schoolyard taunt equivalent of "my dad can beat up your dad". IMO it was the Chinese. 
    I don't think Tim is petty, I didn't imply that Tim was being petty, nor did Ericthehalfbee imply that Tm was being petty. There isn't any evidence that Tim's decision to include the quotation from Adrian Kingsley-Huges was in any way targeted at the Chinese Government,

All of these accusations of Tim being petty are coming from your comments, and these comments of yours certainly are indicative of "concern trolling".

For the record, I believe the Adrian's comment was hyperbole, but certainly factually based.
    edited January 2016 lolliver
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Fair enough. You believe the only purpose was ridicule. I believe differently. Despite whatever led Mr. Cook to the out-of-character moment does it really matter to the larger point that Apple reports the OS version breakdowns based on App Store visits just as Google does, and offers those stats as a developer aid on developer specific help pages? No sir, I don't think it does. I believe those are established facts. Disagree?
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 35 of 37
    gatorguy said:
    Fair enough. You believe the only purpose was ridicule. I believe differently. Despite whatever led Mr. Cook to the out-of-character moment does it really matter to the larger point that Apple reports the OS version breakdowns based on App Store visits just as Google does, and offers those stats as a developer aid on developer specific help pages? No sir, I don't believe it does. I believe those are established facts. Disagree?
    One can only be amazed at your thought processes.

Bye.

lolliver
  • Reply 36 of 37
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    Fair enough. You believe the only purpose was ridicule. I believe differently. Despite whatever led Mr. Cook to the out-of-character moment does it really matter to the larger point that Apple reports the OS version breakdowns based on App Store visits just as Google does, and offers those stats as a developer aid on developer specific help pages? No sir, I don't believe it does. I believe those are established facts. Disagree?
    One can only be amazed at your thought processes.

Bye.

I thought not. 
  • Reply 37 of 37
    When I first got an Android phone after owning several iPhones, I thought it was terrible - really terrible - to not get any of the new versions of Android. 

I have since come to appreciate that your phone or tablet continuing to work, largely as it did when you first bought it, can be a boon rather than a hindrance. Especially when contrasted with operating system updates forced on users. High upgrade rates might seem impressive on the latest AppleInsider attack piece, and I'm sure it makes app developers lives easier to only code for the latest APIs, but from a user perspective staying on the original O/S you bought it with gives you the confidence that your phone or tablet isn't going to suddenly start performing horribly because of an upgrade. 

I've got a Galaxy Note 2 and a Galaxy S4 which are still performing wonderfully despite being a few years old. My old iPad 2 and 3 and iPhone 4 on the other hand perform terribly with the latest iOS installed. I know these are older devices, but they practically flew when I first got them.