Apple hikes App Store prices in Canada, Russia, New Zealand & several other countries

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    @javacowboy ;

Thank you for the interesting take on the issue. Regarding the value of the CDN $ relative to the USD. Monetary policy is complicated and I certainly don't mean to imply I have any special insight into what a currency means. 

I didn't mention anti Canada propaganda coming out of the US. Americans certainly are not like that. But the US administration, especially President Obama, has gone out of its way to slight Canada. In the case of the Keystone fiasco they essentially threw Canada under the bus in order to score a few green points for President Obama's place in history. 

There have been various combinations of parties in the US and Canada for ages. The fact that there was a Democratic Party in the US and a Conservative one in Canada wasn't the reason for the way Canada has been treated for the past so many years. And I agree that it is not the main reason for the current currency state ( with the exception of whatever impact the Keystone process had).

Having a Liberal government in Canada is unlikely to move the needle one way or another assuming a continuation of the current US administration. It is simply inconceivable that either Senator Sanders or Mr. Trump would be nominated by their respective parties. I would bet on that! The most likely outcome is a Clinton victory, but I agree that anything could happen.

The point I was trying to make is that it would be in Canada's best interest to move away from the US as much as possible. The current setup hammers Canada every time you have a strong US currency. There is no reason why Canada should be buying goods from US distributors which get them from a third country when a more direct distribution between Canada and that third country might be feasible, provided the transaction takes place in the originating country's currency. 

You mention Windows. That is a good example of a product that can run on non US hardware. While the cpu's are largely American that does not constitute the whole hardware. I have to note that ARM was originally British so it's not as though the world is a slave to US cup companies. The same goes for Linux and Android. That unfortunately is not the case with Apple products which are tied to each other ( the OS and hardware). 

There is a reason why poorer countries cannot afford to use Apple products. Unfortunately, US products have become too expensive. If there is no alternative then Canada is in a big mess. I hope there is but I guess there are good reasons why Canada has never been able to escape US influence. I have never been a nationalist but even I think Canada has to somehow find alternatives. Don't forget that at one time the US ruled aviation. That changed and there are now options. In my opinion, public organizations ( including governments, schools, etc...) should be moving away from Apple towards products that can be sourced from countries other than the US. This is the real meat of the original topic. American goods have become too expensive and taxpayers should insist that they at least look at alternatives. Your three points makes it sound as though all countries must buy US computer products. 

The odd thing in all of this is that US companies will find it harder to export products. A strong currency, yet 20 trillion in debt. It boggles the mind.

• Reply 22 of 24
    It is simply inconceivable that either Senator Sanders or Mr. Trump would be nominated by their respective parties.

Really?   In every poll I've seen Trump is well ahead of Cruz except for Iowa, where they're neck and neck.

The point I was trying to make is that it would be in Canada's best interest to move away from the US as much as possible.
    We're next door to the U.S. and other neighbouring countries are literally oceans away.   Also, we are reliant on the Chinese for real estate (lifted restrictions on foreigners buying it) and oil sales and that doesn't seem to have been very smart either.    Also, where are we supposed to get our fruits and most vegetables?  With the TPP, marketing boards are going away.  They've already gotten rid of the Wheat Board.   I think that ship has already sailed.   A currency union with the U.S. doesn't seem like a bad idea at this point.
    You mention Windows. That is a good example of a product that can run on non US hardware.
    Windows is sold to any fully Canadian PC makers and is priced in U.S. dollars.
    Unfortunately, US products have become too expensive.

Somebody mentioned that Apple change its policy with respect to pricing its products in foreign countries.   This would be wise since their hardware is mostly manufactured in China anyway and I'm sure it will backfire this year as demand in affected countries will go down sharply.   How much of the motivation to allow hardware prices to fluctuate with currencies is motivated by cost, and how much is motivated by profit?

• Reply 23 of 24
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    @javacowboy ;

These early polls may mean very little. As candidates drop out their supporters may not be heading towards Mr. Trump. Things should become clearer after the large collection of southern primaries is done. 

The geographical issue may mean less if low energy prices become the norm. Fruits and vegetables are available from many places other than the US. In fact, most now come from other countries ( at least the ones I have been consuming seem to, much to my surprise). 

A currency union  would seem to make sense but that's not just up to Canada. Moreover, once you go down that route then a political union begins to make more sense and I doubt that would be appealing to many on either side of the border/wall ( assuming a US movement to construct a 4,000 mile northern wall).

Windows is American and priced that way. Some things are inevitable, but at least it's only one piece of a system.

A change in pricing policy by Apple would make much of what I said moot, at least with respect to Apple products. If it's not changed then I agree demand for Apple product will drop, at lot. 

Your final question is key to much of the discussions as it relates to Apple. I don't know the answer. 

When I was young movement back and forth across the border to visit friends, family, parties, etc ... was trivial. It has since become a pain and that probably has coloured my current views. A very sad evolution in my opinion.

philip

ps: Sorry for the lack of quoting. Something changed with the format here and I seem lost.

• Reply 24 of 24
    pmcd said:

Having a Liberal government in Canada is unlikely to move the needle one way or another assuming a continuation of the current US administration. It is simply inconceivable that either Senator Sanders or Mr. Trump would be nominated by their respective parties. I would bet on that! The most likely outcome is a Clinton victory, but I agree that anything could happen.

For the record, Trump was officially nominated this week. Sanders didn't quite make it.