Mac OS X gets bumped to version 10.11.3, brings bug fixes and security updates

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    lkrupp said:
    Oh come on, has there ever been any software update in the history of anything where someone hasn't posted about how it made their computer explode?
    Too bad people don’t understand that concept. All it takes is a couple of users with similar problems and it becomes an instant “-gate”. Every release of OS X has been declared to be an utter disaster by someone. The funny part is when they lament how stable and perfect the previous version was when it too was declared to be the “worst ever” release by someone else. The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence. 
    Nah, it takes more than a couple to create a "gate". I don't really see anyone creating a "gate" here... a couple of users claiming that an update blew up their house and gave their dog AIDS is pretty much business as usual, though.
    Oh come on, has there ever been any software update in the history of anything where someone hasn't posted about how it made their computer explode?
    On the other hand, Apple is getting quite a reputation for releasing sub-par Mac OS software, so it's only prudent to hold off on any significant updates to see what are the real problems, if any.
    Meh, I'll be the first to admit that Apple went through a slump somewhere around Lion, but I feel like it's been steadily getting better in the releases since then, and since Mavericks it's been pretty good.

(by the way, has the multi-quote feature been removed, or am I just not finding it? I can't seem to find a way to MQ anymore without diving into HTML mode.)
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 22 of 26
    I just installed 10.11.3 on a month old Macbook Pro 15" (w/ discrete gfx). I have never had a system crash or problem on this MBP at all. Within 10 minutes of installing the 10.11.3 update, my keyboard and touchpad became unresponsive while using Chrome. The force click sound of the touchpad was gone. I could put the laptop to sleep, but the keyboard still wouldn't respond after waking up which made it impossible to log in, so I had to hard boot it. Yay.
    Same thing happened to my 2 day old 15" MacBook Pro after updating to 10.11.3 Had to hard reboot it and reset NVRAM. Maybe it's the issue with the latest MacBooks  Pro... 
  • Reply 23 of 26
    Contrary to update from 10.11 to .1 (and .2), which caused me a big problem I finally sorted out, this update has gone fine on both a newish AirBook and a 6-year-old MBPro. Only strange thing is that now, after updating successfully, the update is not listed in my list of "Updates" in App Store. The most recent OS update listed is to 10.11.2, which I did in December.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    IMHO, Apple quality control dropped from before.  Apple's thinking is not professional.  Apple thinks it can push out bugs and security fixes at well because users have fast internet to install.  Why Apple forget about user convenience?  Every install is consuming user time and interrupt user using the device.  iOS 9.0 is released last October last October.  In less than four months how many iOS updates have been issued?  9.0, 9.0.1, 9.0.2, 9.1, 9.1.1, 9.1.2, 9.2, 9.2.1, 9.2.2.  This is a shame to quality control.  
  • Reply 25 of 26
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Apple on Tuesday released OS X El Capitan 10.11.3, a new point release that the company says brings bug fixes and security updates to the venerable desktop operating system.

There is no word yet on what specific changes Apple has made, but it figures to be a less wide-ranging update than OS X 10.11.2. That release brought improved Wi-Fi reliability, enhancements to Handoff and AirDrop, and fixes for problems with Mail and iCloud Photo Sharing.

"10.11.3 fixes a pair of edge cases: One where a Mac connected to a 4K display wouldn't wake from sleep, and one where "third-party .pkg file receipts stored in /var/db/receipts are now retained when upgrading from OS X Yosemite."

via Ars.

• Reply 26 of 26
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I'm still running Yosemite (for compatibility with older software) and since I installed the Jan 19 updates to 10.10.5 and Safari 9.0.3 my system's been noticeably slower and buggy. Particularly Safari. I don't recall using Force Quit so much in the last two years. Anyone else dealing with this, or is it specific to my iMac?