Ford says Apple and Google are 'welcome' to join automotive arena

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Looks like Don Butler wants a new job with Apple or Google.
    Ford's actually pretty far ahead in the tech game, and they have some of the best engineers in the world. They just managed to pull off a complete swap to building F-150's out of aluminium in a year, which is no mean feat. 
    FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily....psss. Not a fan of any of their design. In fact, their bread and butter model Taurus got horrendous designs over the years. If I'm in the market for American cars (well, I won't...), Chevy is my choice. 
  • Reply 22 of 29
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    "All are welcome, all are welcome!"
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Welcome, Apple. Seriously. 

Heh, kinda sounds familiar, huh?
    afrodri
  • Reply 24 of 29
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    JohanGrey said:
    Who said anything about buying 10 shares?
    Did I forget to mention that buying anything less than 1000 shares at that price is a waste and a risk not worth taking?
    How is taking out a $100,000 loan over the long term a risk worth taking?  What a strange sentiment.
    gatorguymac fanafrodri
  • Reply 25 of 29
    fallenjt said:
    Ford's actually pretty far ahead in the tech game, and they have some of the best engineers in the world. They just managed to pull off a complete swap to building F-150's out of aluminium in a year, which is no mean feat. 
    FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily....psss. Not a fan of any of their design. In fact, their bread and butter model Taurus got horrendous designs over the years. If I'm in the market for American cars (well, I won't...), Chevy is my choice. 

Well, I couldn't disagree with you more. I love my First On Race Day truck (which I might argue is actually their bread and butter). But, that's the thing with opinions; everybody's got one. I respect your opinion, but I just disagree with it. 

What I'm hoping is that Ford switches their alleged "partnership" with Google and begins working more closely with Apple, but well... I can always dream, right?
    afrodri
  • Reply 26 of 29
    fallenjt said:
    Pretty stupid to say that. Ford has very high reliability ratings. The Taurus is not Ford's bread and butter model. We aren't in 1990's anymore. 
    flashfan207afrodri
  • Reply 27 of 29
    bellsbells Posts: 140member
    I respect Ford for refusing the illegal government bailouts during the crash of '08.

The government has been giving to businesses since its inception. Not sure how that is illegal. It is also odd how people care about loaning the auto industry a few hundred million that it had to pay back, but had little problem with bailing the banks out.

Further, Ford didn't need a bailout. It was lucky enough to borrow a couple of billion dollars at a great interest rate right before the market crashed. Otherwise, it would have been asking for money as well. 

Carter gave Chrysler a bailout, Bush gave GM and Chrysler a bail out. Big deal. People forget it was the auto industry that made the US a super power, by turning all of its factories into tank and airplane machines during World War II. Without the automotive industry, we'd all be speaking German. 

• Reply 28 of 29
    bellsbells Posts: 140member

Change is what the industry needs. The big 3 pissed away 2 decades trying to be greedy meanwhile no innovation. Newcomers will bring innovation and also bring in manufacturing that makes sense for the US. Ford is still too heavy and not geared properly to be effective in the long run. It is time to shake things up.

Outside maybe Tesla, Ford is probably one of the most innovative auto companies out there. Besides some of the many innovations it has spawned in manufacturing, it is responsible for a lot of other recent innovations. For example, gas tanks that don't need gas caps. That was a pretty serious engineering feat. It was the first company to take bluetooth integration seriously. It was also one of the first companies to do keyless FOBs. 

I live in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Ford teams up with engineering schools, and you often see interesting vehicles being driven around town, like solar powered. 

Further, it is cool to see Ford not act threatened by other companies. Companies like Microsoft often mock its competitors. 

flashfan207
  • Reply 29 of 29
    bells said:
    I respect Ford for refusing the illegal government bailouts during the crash of '08.

The government has been giving to businesses since its inception. Not sure how that is illegal. It is also odd how people care about loaning the auto industry a few hundred million that it had to pay back, but had little problem with bailing the banks out.

In fairness, a lot of the people who objected to the automotive loans also objected to the bank bailouts.