Mini takes lead in US iPad sales as iPad Pro jumps in at 12 percent, survey data says

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    I'm hoping for a major grade with the iPad air three. Thinner, so less heavy and less weight on my already arthritic wrists. My reason for not updating from my iPad air three until now? Well, I was going to do it in September but there was not a new iPad introduced, and I didn't want technology that was already a year old. The Mini is too small for my eyesight, and the pro is too big for my needs. The Air line is the sweet spot, so I hope it is upgraded to awesome. Untethered "hey Siri", 256 gigs storage capability to enable multiple user accounts, more Siri control of items like volume etc. 3-D touch is not important to me, but the above items are. And upgraded camera would also help. Can't wait to see with the air line will be. The mini is a nonstarter for me.
    netmage
  • Reply 22 of 31
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    I'm hoping for a major grade with the iPad air three. Thinner, so less heavy and less weight on my already arthritic wrists. My reason for not updating from my iPad air three until now? Well, I was going to do it in September but there was not a new iPad introduced, and I didn't want technology that was already a year old. The Mini is too small for my eyesight, and the pro is too big for my needs. The Air line is the sweet spot, so I hope it is upgraded to awesome. Untethered "hey Siri", 256 gigs storage capability to enable multiple user accounts, more Siri control of items like volume etc. 3-D touch is not important to me, but the above items are. And upgraded camera would also help. Can't wait to see with the air line will be. The mini is a nonstarter for me.

I don't think Air 3 will be much thinner/lighter unless they use all the increase in efficiency of the A9 to cut the battery size.

They'll probably go for an hybrid, decrease weight and increase power, especially of the GPU.
    I'd guess, about as thin as the Ipod touch) and about 370 grams is my guess (15% less weight). It would be about 30% faster I'm guessing.
    That's just over half the weight of the initial Ipad, so it would be getting pretty light

The main new thing will be the digitizer like in the Ipad pro will come to the air.

If they make it thinner, the camera probably won't be much better (major improvement they could do is use the sensor tech in the 6s, even then the sensor is smaller than the Iphone so you won't be getting as a photo/video).

• Reply 23 of 31
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    Linking the decline of the iPad figures with the new Phablets like iPhone6+, seems in contradiction with the increasing share of the iPad mini.  If there is one product that should be suffering from iPhone6+ it is the iPad mini.  For me the main reason of the decline is that most people remain seeing the iPad as a companion device next to their PC/Mac and not as their single computing device.  And is not that crucial to have the latest and the greatest for a companion device
    Mr_Grey
  • Reply 24 of 31
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Love my iPad Mini 4. Combined with my iPhone 6s and MacBook, all of my portable needs are met or surpassed.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    cropr said:
    Linking the decline of the iPad figures with the new Phablets like iPhone6+, seems in contradiction with the increasing share of the iPad mini.  If there is one product that should be suffering from iPhone6+ it is the iPad mini.  For me the main reason of the decline is that most people remain seeing the iPad as a companion device next to their PC/Mac and not as their single computing device.  And is not that crucial to have the latest and the greatest for a companion device
    iPad mini's are a smart choice for children and teens that aren't yet allowed a smartphone; no contract required, but still access to a wide range of apps and games. It's only competition is the iPod Touch and hand me down iPhones.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    @ carthusia: Wouldn't the two if you consider the 12" MacBook? (I wouldn't myself, because I dislike the Atom CPU by Intel, but it might suit you.)
    I'm sorry. The CPU is a Core M, which is much better than an Atom, but still not to my taste.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    iPad mini 4 is the best of what the Mini can be so far. Too bad it is taller than the others - I'd be 100% satisfied if Apple had made it shorter, not taller. Even so, the speed and screen are only let down by the monoaural sound system on it. I'd love to have the Pro's quadspeaker system on the Mini!
  • Reply 28 of 31
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    brakken said:
    iPad mini 4 is the best of what the Mini can be so far. Too bad it is taller than the others - I'd be 100% satisfied if Apple had made it shorter, not taller. Even so, the speed and screen are only let down by the monoaural sound system on it. I'd love to have the Pro's quadspeaker system on the Mini!
    4 speakers on something that small.... What?
    Considering speakers need proper dampening and the size of the speakers needed, they'd be no battery (if it even fits). (just look at the inside of the Ipad pro).
    The fact that good stereo actually need.... Distance between speakers.... to occur.... distance at least bigger than the distance between our ears, makes this even more WTH a proposition.
    edited January 2016 ai46
  • Reply 29 of 31
    tmay said:
    cropr said:
    iPad mini's are a smart choice for children and teens that aren't yet allowed a smartphone; no contract required, but still access to a wide range of apps and games. It's only competition is the iPod Touch and hand me down iPhones.
    Actually, your assumption that they are for kids is completely incorrect. 

iPad mini actually sells primarily to young millennials who do work on their iPads (because it's the only model you can seriously type on while mobile), students, women in business, and some seniors (the ones that haven't lost their eyesight yet).  
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 30 of 31

Very unlikely on all counts I'm afraid.  The iPad Air is already crazy thin and light and unlikely to change that much in that regard for a while.  

The next version of the iPad Air and the iPad mini is much more likely to be exactly the same as the current ones but with the addition of pencil support and perhaps ForceTouch.  It will be a little faster as they always are, but if it's thinner at all it's virtually guaranteed to be less than a millimetre.  Similarly if it's lighter it will be so fractionally so that it won't be detectable.  
  • Reply 31 of 31
    fallenjt said:
    Mr_Grey said:
    Has she at least tried other models?  The iPad 3 is literally the worst one they ever made.  It's heavier, it's thicker, and it heats up more than the others too.  An iPad 2 would even be a better choice. 
    How so? Retina display means anything to you? It did to me although I upgraded to Air after that after sold it on eBay for $350. Hell ya, almost 2 year-old device.
    Nothing personal, it's just a fact that the iPad 3 was pretty much the worst one they made and for the reasons I stated (hotter, heavier, thicker).  

That's partly why the iPad 4 came out so fast.  Apple took the opportunity to move iPad release dates from the Spring to the Fall that year and the iPad 3 was only on sale for six months versus the full year for the other models.  It was discontinued when the iPad 4 came out six months later.  There was actually even some blow-back from the tech community on how crappy the iPad 3 was.