Apple's rumored 4" iPhone update purportedly leaked again in new photo

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    foggyhill said:
    So, you want 2/3 the battery life of the 6s... Seems that's what you asked?
    So, 5-6h of browsing before your phone dies?
    There are reasons you don't get all those things in a smaller phone.... It's smaller!
    You may get a A9, but it will be clocked so it's just a bit faster than a A8 (thus saving battery life because it's a smaller process than the A8).
    3D touch takes a lot of space inside the phone, so it probably would not be there in a smaller phone.
    Of course, they could make the phone much thicker that the 6s and then you'd get maybe 3d touch and similar battery life to the 6s even with A9 clocked higher.

Just give us the original iPhone size.  It's thicker than current models, substantially so.  Everything can be stuck into it, including a retina display that uses less power because it's smaller.  I disagree with the idea that we have to have huge phones for the best features.  Absolutely everything in a 6S Plus could be made to fit into an original iPhone enclosure with a new screen.  Jony needs to take his whole minimalistic schtick to heart and give us back smaller phones that kick ass (or whomever it is that actually designs things at Apple these days).
    Sorry the number of people that want a 3.5" screen is way to small for Apple to focus any attention on. 
  • Reply 62 of 70
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    fallenjt said:

Why? Because the phone usage evolved over time. People today use the phone for mainly internet browsing, video, social networks and texting which is better with large screen . Phone call is less than 10% usage. 4" version is perfect for phone calls and adequate for texts, but for browsing web, video or social network, it sucks%Browsing web, video or social networks started with the 3.5 inch iPhone, if it was sucking the iPhone wouldn't even start. Larger screens started not because of such needs, but because Android's Java VM is consuming so much battery that the phones needs to be made larger to accomodate larger batteries. The extra screen space was just a byproduct, not a goal.
    Wrong, extra screen space is for modern usage, not intended for people who's better fit with feature phone (calls most of the time, text sometimes). I don't have problem dial number on my 6+ even though I have small hand. Again, it depends on each person's intended use. If you're like my grandpa who only talks on the phone 95%, 2" will serve your need.
  • Reply 63 of 70

foggyhill said:
    Rayz2016 said:

Let's not forget that you don't actually know the sales breakdown between iPhone models, so when you say 'most likely' you're guessing with absolutely nothing to back it up. 

His argument is completely absurd...

He's saying people don't care about all those things below despite well, many of them being major reasons to buy a Iphone.

, people "don't care" for:

(Tougher phone, much tougher than all the competition)
    - Using AL 7000
    - Seemingly made IPX7 at least without Apple officially acknowledging it (so says several tests)

(Using the camera is one of the major thing people do with their Iphone)
    - A better camera 12MP, phase detection autofocus (quicker)
    - Ability to film and take photo at the same time (Live Photo)
    - Much improved video: Ability to film in 4K (take 8MP while you film), Optical stabilisation in video (not in 4K mode), 240 fps 720p and 120fps 1080p
    - Better Selfie/videophone 5MP Camera and using the screen as a flash (so better low light selfies)

(Performance)
    - Twice the memory, important for power users and those that open lots of tabs in browser.
    - much faster, more efficient CPU, important in games, web browsing
    - massively faster GPU (that's especially important if you're looking in buying the 6+)
    - SSD-class controller and storage, way faster than well anyone else, important if manipulating large files
    - Battery life improved considerably, especially for the 6s (+25%).

(Screen)
    - 3D touch (how useful that is depends on your use case initially until most apps get a conversion)

(Network)
    - More LTE bands, makes a difference in network speed on some networks, like AT & T.
    - Supports LTE advanced
    - Blue tooth 4.2, much faster, better privacy, etc.
    Faster means uses less power (since its idle quicker) than older BT, if you have bluetooth anything, that's pretty important.

(Other things)
    - Almost instantaneous touch ID
    - Always on SIRI
    - Increased color selection

That's a hell of a lot of changes.

I often wonder when people state absurd thing; how can they even argue their position?
    Because he thinks all people care about (or notice) is when the device looks different. That might be what tech sites like The Verge focus on but I don't think it's what average consumers care about.
  • Reply 64 of 70
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member

foggyhill said:
    So, you want 2/3 the battery life of the 6s... Seems that's what you asked?
    So, 5-6h of browsing before your phone dies?
    There are reasons you don't get all those things in a smaller phone.... It's smaller!
    You may get a A9, but it will be clocked so it's just a bit faster than a A8 (thus saving battery life because it's a smaller process than the A8).
    3D touch takes a lot of space inside the phone, so it probably would not be there in a smaller phone.
    Of course, they could make the phone much thicker that the 6s and then you'd get maybe 3d touch and similar battery life to the 6s even with A9 clocked higher.

Just give us the original iPhone size.  It's thicker than current models, substantially so.  Everything can be stuck into it, including a retina display that uses less power because it's smaller.  I disagree with the idea that we have to have huge phones for the best features.  Absolutely everything in a 6S Plus could be made to fit into an original iPhone enclosure with a new screen.  Jony needs to take his whole minimalistic schtick to heart and give us back smaller phones that kick ass (or whomever it is that actually designs things at Apple these days).
    Would you buy a 4" with the same spec as 6s+ at 6s+ price? If not, then shut up. How can you fit all these specs in a little phone without compromising battery life? Apple design is all about balance. Small form factor would sport smaller battery. Therefore, it must have lower specs to have adequate battery life.
  • Reply 65 of 70
    fallenjt said:
    Wrong, extra screen space is for modern usage,
    That "modern usage" is an illusion. The size difference from 4 inch to 4.7 inch is always less than adequate for "modern usage". You need much more screen space for that. So the 70% of iPhone users who didn't upgrade to 6 series are unaware of such "modern usage"... Is that it?
  • Reply 66 of 70
    fallenjt said:

Would you buy a 4" with the same spec as 6s+ at 6s+ price? If not, then shut up. How can you fit all these specs in a little phone without compromising battery life? Apple design is all about balance. Small form factor would sport smaller battery. Therefore, it must have lower specs to have adequate battery life.
    The "shut up" comment is out of line.  Stop being negative.  Yes, all of the current tech can be put into an original iPhone enclosure.  The thinner screens made today also provide more space.  It can be done without compromises.  I am aware that there's a desire to compete with Samsung.  I understand that there's a need to dabble in the phablet arena.  As I stated previously, I currently own the 6 Plus.  I bought it for exactly one reason, and that was the optically stabilized camera.  I don't play games at all, and I'm not someone with tons of pages of apps.  I also don't read books on my 6 Plus.  I do use if for phone calls.  I do use it for video and photos.  I do use it for internet.  I do use it as an iPod.  Given all that, will I buy the same sized phone again?  No.  It's annoying when in my front pocket, and difficult to slide in and out of jacket inside pockets.  I can see where this size of phone would be great for kids who game 24/7.  I can even see the benefits for those who are visually impaired.  

If I have to compromise an get a 4" iPhone that has every one of the features (I don't care if it's a little thicker, even make it the same thickness as the original iPhone), I'll buy it.  I thought I'd love the 6 Plus, and yes, it has a fantastic camera.  I'm not in love with the size of it.  I know Apple can do better.  As other commenters have said, there's a significant portion of the world population who have smaller hands than the average American male.  A smaller form factor would benefit them greatly.  One must not compromise on features for a smaller phone though.  
  • Reply 67 of 70
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    thrang said:
    Good secondary option for India and China for those that cannot afford the larger models...
    I would like to suggest that many (most?) who have waited patiently for Apple to offer a current technology iPhone in the 4" size are perfectly capable of buying a larger iPhone. The price doesn't enter in to the decision. We just don't like the larger devices. Also the price difference is likely to be so small that the bargain shoppers in the US and other countries won't give it a second look. Low cost Android phones aren't slightly less expensive, they are a small fraction of the cost iPhones and premium Android phones.

This device is about the market for a premium device in a form factor that many prefer. We don't settle for this size, we want this size.
  • Reply 68 of 70
    sog35 said:

It's not a low level phone if they're going to charge $450 or $550 for it. 2GB RAM provides a better experience. I thought that's what Apple was all about.
    It is a low level phone for iPhone purposes.

You can't expect a $450 iPhone to have all the hardware specs like the $650 top tier
    Yes I do.
  • Reply 69 of 70
    fallenjt said:

Yes, I would absolutely pay the premium price for a premium 4" form factor. I believe that is what Brian Green has also indicated. Also your comment about battery life is uninformed. A major factor in power consumption is the screen. The smaller screen would require less battery and Apple could make the case slightly thicker for this "niche market" to make up for other technology included.