Apple seeds second iOS 9.3 beta with Night Shift button in Control Center

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2016
Following the public release of tvOS 9.1.1, Apple on Monday pushed out a second beta version of iOS 9.3 with new features including a Night Shift control button in Control Center.

The latest build 13E5191d includes a number of enhancements over the first iOS 9.3 beta released earlier this month, the most prominent being an easily accessible Night Shift button located in Control Center.

On iPhone 6s handsets, the new Night Shift control appears as an icon emblazoned with a crescent moon in an eye. Last week, Apple posted a picture of an iPad implementation to its Canadian iOS 9.3 Preview website.

Night Shift is a first-of-its-kind tool that lets users access and control display temperature on compatible iPhones and iPads, currently limited to 64-bit hardware with the most recent beta versions. Using device clock and geolocation assets to calculate local sunset, the feature automatically shifts display colors toward the warmer end of the spectrum for optimal night time viewing.

Today's update comes after the first developer beta seed two weeks ago, and a subsequent public beta released a few days later.

Developers can download the latest iOS 9.3 beta version from Apple's developer portal or as an over-the-air update with appropriate provisioning.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member

Night Shift is a first-of-its-kind tool
    What? You guys are drinking something funny over at AI HQ. First we have yesterday's dire Surface Pro bashing article, and now this?

f.lux. Heard of it?
    netmageaylk
  • Reply 2 of 13
    What? You guys are drinking something funny over at AI HQ. First we have yesterday's dire Surface Pro bashing article, and now this?
    f.lux. Heard of it?

Well, fwiw, f.lux is for jailbroken devices only (iOS), so first of its kind for iOS approved color temp control.
    edited January 2016 pmzsergioz
  • Reply 3 of 13

Well, fwiw, f.lux is for jailbroken devices only (iOS), so first of its kind for iOS approved color temp control.
    F.lux were distributing their software as a side-load on to any iOS device, jailbroken or not, until Apple told them to stop it. 

The way the article is written suggests that Apple came up with the concept, but this is clearly not true.
    aylk
  • Reply 4 of 13
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    mr. h said:

Night Shift is a first-of-its-kind tool

f.lux. Heard of it?
    Yes of course AI has heard of it :
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/11/16/apple-nixes-ios-version-of-popular-brightness-management-tool-flux
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/01/11/apple-adds-night-mode-secure-notes-more-in-ios-93
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/01/14/flux-says-it-is-original-innovator-of-nighttime-display-color-tech-asks-apple-to-open-night-shift-api

Just back from vacation ?
    edited January 2016 irelandpmz
  • Reply 5 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Much improved design. Very handy in CC and must better layout in Settings.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    mr. h said:

f.lux. Heard of it?
    Is that that rather buggy, unnecessarily complicated OS X app? (that I use) I'm sure they've heard of it.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Hi jony,

Not to worry, this forum software is horrid. My question was a rhetorical one. I know at least one person at AI has heard of f.lux; it would be nice if this article could acknowledge its existence and not make out that Apple came up with this idea all-by-their-clever-selves.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Why add this to Control Center? This is not something I need to turn off several times a day.

All this did was make every other icon smaller. Stupid.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    pmz said:
    Why add this to Control Center? This is not something I need to turn off several times a day.

I disagree, what if you need to see a video or picture or a game in all it's color? I think it's very handy I use f.lux on my phone and I switch back in forth quite often!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    sergioz said:
    pmz said:

I disagree, what if you need to see a video or picture or a game in all it's color? I think it's very handy I use f.lux on my phone and I switch back in forth quite often!
    Plus, this might be the sign that configurable CC is coming (in iOS 10 perhaps?). If I can, I would get rid of Timer right now since I'm having Apple Watch, and using SIRI on the phone is much quicker anyway.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    pmz said:

If only the technology existed to make the Control Center user customizable....
  • Reply 12 of 13
    matrix077 said:
    sergioz said:
    Plus, this might be the sign that configurable CC is coming (in iOS 10 perhaps?). If I can, I would get rid of Timer right now since I'm having Apple Watch, and using SIRI on the phone is much quicker anyway.
    Mark Gurman tweeted that there was internal testing of a configurable control center with 9.3 so I wouldn't be surprised if we see it at WWDC.