iOS 9.3 beta 2 now available to Apple's public testers

Posted:
in iPhone
Members of Apple's public beta tester program can now download and sample the second beta release of iOS 9.3, with a new Control Center switch for Night Shift.

iOS 9.3 beta 2 can be downloaded on a device enrolled in Apple's public testing program. The update can be found in the software update option in the native iOS Settings application.

The public release arrives two days after developers were provided with the second beta of iOS 9.3.

The biggest change from the first beta to the second is a new Night Shift control button in Control Center. Users can access it by swiping up from the bottom of the screen, and the quick access icon can be found in the center, between the timer and calculator shortcuts.

Night Shift lets users access and control display temperature on compatible iPhones and iPads, currently limited to 64-bit hardware with the most recent beta versions. Using device clock and geolocation assets to calculate local sunset, the feature automatically shifts display colors toward the warmer end of the spectrum for optimal night time viewing.

iOS 9.3 also includes individually encrypted notes, new 3D Touch actions, and offers the ability to pair multiple Apple Watches with a single iPhone. It's expected to launch to the public this spring.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I wish Apple would come up with an App like Motorola's Smart Actions app. It would be nice to have my iPhone go into silent mode while I'm driving and then go back on to active.....That Smart Actions app was brilliant. That was one of the best apps a Motorola phone ever had.....
  • Reply 2 of 11
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I wish Apple would come up with an App like Motorola's Smart Actions app. It would be nice to have my iPhone go into silent mode while I'm driving and then go back on to active.....That Smart Actions app was brilliant. That was one of the best apps a Motorola phone ever had.....
    Probably beacuse a feature like that will never work 100% as it's supposed to, and when it doesn't, an absolute shit storm would descend upon Apple, generating a fuckload of hyper sensational negative headlines. Also, it sounds like a niche feature that would cause more problems and confusion than it solves. 
  • Reply 3 of 11
    slurpy said:
    Probably beacuse a feature like that will never work 100% as it's supposed to, and when it doesn't, an absolute shit storm would descend upon Apple, generating a fuckload of hyper sensational negative headlines. Also, it sounds like a niche feature that would cause more problems and confusion than it solves. 
    In other words, Apple doesn't like to play a game of chicken.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Nightshift should be a Force Touch anywhere on the Brightness Slider.

Certainly doesn't need to take up valuable button real estate in the Control Centre.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    9.3 BETA has left most of my apps not working and crashing everytime i try to open. Total load of crap!
  • Reply 6 of 11
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    solcom said:
    9.3 BETA has left most of my apps not working and crashing everytime i try to open. Total load of crap!
    It is called BETA for a reason?

And does anyone know if they have slight tweak for the Control Center? From the screenshots above, the spacing seems to have changed, because the volume slide used to be packed very closed to the Play buttons, and easy to be mistakenly pressed.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    solcom said:
    That sucks. Have not had any app crashing problems with 9.3 beta 1 or 2. Surprisingly quite solid. Perhaps your phone is due for a reset?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    solcom said:
    Just try a reset/ restore. I assume this isn't your main phone so it shouldn't be a problem. 
    If it is still an issue, then I think the email address is [email protected].
    Also, note that developers really cannot help you if their apps are crashing on 9.3. They would be testing it themselves. Expect the fixed updates to be available when 9.3 is released.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 9 of 11
    slurpy said:

Probably beacuse a feature like that will never work 100% as it's supposed to, and when it doesn't, an absolute shit storm would descend upon Apple, generating a fuckload of hyper sensational negative headlines.
    Yep. Just like when someone loads an OS beta and then whines when apps not updated for the beta crash and then rants about the OS.

Who would even load a beta OS and not be surprised if there were problems. I'm no dev and even I know there are a shitload of updated apps hitting the App Store in the days following an update. I wonder what that is. Coincidence? 
  • Reply 10 of 11
    solcom said:
    It's not a load of crap... It's a beta and if you don't understand that then you shouldn't be using beta software 
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I see that beta 1 now limits you to 3 custom Apple Music playlists during CarPlay while forcing Beats one and Franco hits and genres as well, bug report submitted and cancelled as duplicate. Still issue in beta 2.  Beta 2 broke maps, at least for me I no longer see streets or any geographical graphics just the tan grid
    unless they have bigger plans for Apple maps for 9.3 not sure why that's broken. And that grid shows in CarPlay and on my 6Plus screen
    edited January 2016