A smartphone was shipped for 1 of every 5 people alive in 2015

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    In 25 years of Apple use in the fields of publishing, photography, journalism and art, I have never known, met, or even heard of a single person - creative or otherwise - switching away from IOS, or any piece of Apple equipment, to any other system... it has always, and frequently, been the other way around. My finding is not from 'recent reports' but from personal and practical experience in the business over a quarter of a century!
    I can't eat store-bought, or even restaurant soup anymore.  I had a Vietnamese girlfriend for 13 years while living in New England.  She would make the most amazing Vietnamese (Pho) and Thai soups.  Now I'm ruined for anything less.  It's exactly the same for Apple products.  Used to use Windows PC in my 26 year career in tne software industry, first smartphone was an Android HTC One.  But having years ago migrated to the Apple ecosystem, there's just no way I could think to go back.  I can't even pick up an Andriod smartphone at a Best Buy.  I walk right on by, with zero interest in even looking at them.
    The most amazing part of your post is that you found a Vietnamese girl in New England.  :D
  • Reply 22 of 26
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    cali said:
    It's amazing seeing iPhones and cheap knockoffs in almost everyone's hands.

Apple's invention has taken over the world population. Definitely one of the most fascinating points in human history.
    Apple didn't invent the smartphone. They reimagined it. And I'd argue that apps are a more driving force than the hardware. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc, etc, etc..., are driving sales more than anything else. 
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 23 of 26
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    cnocbui said:
    When the Samsung S6 launched, at least one site that allowed trade-ins reported 41% were of iPhones towards the purchase of an S6. 

When you're a troll you can find at least one site reporting a metric that goes along with what you, deep down in the core of your being, hopes and prays to be true.

The article is here is: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Trade-in-data-shows-the-Galaxy-S6-tempts-iPhone-owners-but-people-still-want-their-Apple_id70346

If you can provide some credible reason other than angst, as to why it shouldn't be believed, please do so.

• Reply 24 of 26
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    cnocbui said:
    When the Samsung S6 launched, at least one site that allowed trade-ins reported 41% were of iPhones towards the purchase of an S6. 
    That's interesting information only if it's qualified by which iPhone models. We're people trading in old 3GS models they had sitting in their drawer or that their kids were using in order to get the kid a new model smartphone at a lot lower cost than an iPhone?  Same information is needed going the other direction.  What's the phone being traded in and what's the motivation?  I suspect when you are trading in a cheap brand to get a more expensive brand, it's primarily a phone for your own use.  Going the other way is just trying save some money, which might be be common when acquiring a phone for a kid or other less discriminating family member.

Doesn't appear to have been 3GSs:

The top five smartphones traded in to purchase a Galaxy S6 series were the Samsung Galaxy S4 (146.13-percent) – which makes complete sense, as those users were due for their two-year upgrade…and what a sweet upgrade it was. Second on the list is the Apple iPhone 5 (180-percent), followed by the Samsung Galaxy S5 (136.23-percent), the Apple iPhone 5C (166.86-percent) and finally the Apple iPhone 5S (139.87). The percentage in the parentheses shows the increased spike in trade-ins since the Galaxy S6’s release on April 10.
    http://www.androidheadlines.com/2015/06/check-buying-samsung-galaxy-s6.html
  • Reply 25 of 26
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    bulldogs said:
    *eye strain*
    There is a concept called "paragraphs".  You should look into it.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    AppleInsider said:
    The market remains a mile wide and inch deep, however -- the 20 largest companies account for nearly 85 percent of profits.

Hasn't it been reported multiple times on this site that Apple takes home well over 90% of global smartphone profits?  How then does it take 20 companies to get 85%?

The article said 85% of shipments, not profits.
    My quote was from the original article.  They changed the text of the article after I posted the quote, without noting that they'd made the change...