Apple could bring long-distance wireless charging to iPhone, iPad as soon as 2017

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    Socially there is something quite nice about just having a small table/whatever where wireless devices would automatically charge. I imagine having friends over and people just leaving their phones there instead of having that sort of interruption through the evening.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    tenly said:

Don't think that would work. My understanding is the charging station "locates" the device to be charged and then does a type of "beam forming" where the energy is "aimed" to your device, in a narrow "cone".

This is far more efficient then simply sending energy everywhere in all directions at once.
    Yeah - that sounds completely likely - but perhaps it could be designed to locate and focus beams on more than a single device simultaneously?  (certainly not in v1)
    Og
    tenly said:
    Can't be done, even with the beamforming they mentioned in their patent. It's not even possible to get and keep a reliable wi-fi or cellular signal, much less a wireless power connection.
    A power connection would be much less susceptible to temporary outages.  It doesn't matter if the signal comes and goes with a power transfer like it does with data.  It would simply stop charging briefly until the signal is reacquired.  This would extend the overall charging time - but your post makes it sound like frequent mini-outages would be a bigger deal for power transfer than it is for data transfer - and I don't see how or why that would be true....

The only way power outage would be a problem is if they removed the battery (or made it massively small compared to the power drawn).

Since battery is by far the biggest weight in a phone I think it may be trimmed a lot in the future. I do believe that when we hit 5nm, they'd make low power, but still pretty powerful devices (as much as the Ipad air 2 has currently), which draw maybe 1/8 the power doing the same task. 

Imagine a 100g, 3-4mm tablet, with a nearly indestructible, edge to edge efficient screens on both sides, and a very rigid carbon frame that uses 1/8 the power currently used, less than a watt. The tablet is a "button", any 3d touch function can be assigned to anyplace on the frame. Totally waterproof of course.

This tablet, using 0.7-1 watt could easily be kept charged through this kind of wireless charging.

Sounds ludicrous,but in 6  years it could happen.

edited January 2016
  • Reply 43 of 52
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    Apparently, the Gallaxy III was rumoured to be coming out with something similar. According to Wik, the long-distance wireless charging hasn't been tested for health issues. AppleInsider Staff: who gave you this second-hand rumour? Why no investigation of sources? 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 44 of 52
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    Socially there is something quite nice about just having a small table/whatever where wireless devices would automatically charge. I imagine having friends over and people just leaving their phones there instead of having that sort of interruption through the evening.
    I don't know what kind of friends you have over - but nobody I know would be happy giving up their phones for an evening and placing them on a charging table!  Me - and the people I interact with (in business and socially) like to keep their phone with them at all times.  I don't think the use case you present would be very common at all.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    tenly said:
    cnocbui said:
    Most of the world appears to believe in anthropogenic global warming.  The issue with regard to efficiency won't be so much what it costs the consumer but how those inefficiencies add up over hundreds of millions of devices globally and how that is viewed by chicken littles.  As I said, Greenpeace won't be happy.  George Moonbat will discern fodder for a few more articles to pay for his next flight.

Samsung's approach - plug it in - 100% efficiency - 30min to full charge - done.
    What is this besides trolling?  Samsung has had inductive charging for a while now.  That's already less efficient than wired.

Most of the world believed it was flat at one point.  Most of the forum believes you're a troll.  That doesn't make it true though, right?  Or does it?
    What is this besides a personal attack?

I was making a comment in response to Marvin because I think that the inefficiencies of wireless charging  would be seized on by the green lobby as something to criticise, given the scale of Apples output.  Apple have put a considerable effort into increasing their green cred and have been very successful with that effort.  The EU has already taken steps to mandate a universal charging standard for mobile phones to standardise on the micro-USB plug for charging, partly out of environmental concerns.

"This serves the interests both of consumers and the environment. It will put an end to charger clutter and 51,000 tonnes of electronic waste annually"  http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/will-eu-ruling-force-apple-change-iphone-6-charger-1440273

I know Samsung have wireless charging, but it isn't the only option on an S6.  They don't include the wireless charger with the S6 so I suspect that only a minority of users would purchase one.  I think the real future is in fast wired charging, which is why I alluded to the USB-C based system rumoured to be in the S7.

Report my post to a moderator if you think my thoughts on this topic amount to trolling. 

singularity
  • Reply 46 of 52
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    cnocbui said:
    tenly said:
    What is this besides trolling?  Samsung has had inductive charging for a while now.  That's already less efficient than wired.

Most of the world believed it was flat at one point.  Most of the forum believes you're a troll.  That doesn't make it true though, right?  Or does it?

"This serves the interests both of consumers and the environment. It will put an end to charger clutter and 51,000 tonnes of electronic waste annually"  http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/will-eu-ruling-force-apple-change-iphone-6-charger-1440273

Apple already has an adapter for this. If this law comes into force then they'll simply put the adapter in the box with the iPhone.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    Rayz2016 said:
    cnocbui said:

Apple already has an adapter for this. If this law comes into force then they'll simply put the adapter in the box with the iPhone.
    Yes, that would be something thay would have to do.

The legislative process is too slow.  USB-C connectors have already replaced micro USB on several Android handsets, so the legislation appears a bit impractical to implement  now.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    cnocbui said:

Do you have any proof for that statement? I doubt you have evaluated any possible design of a wireless charging system. Pretty low losses over large distances have been shown with laser transmitted power, for example. And, did you even consider particle beams? Sure, it's quite likely not what Apple is going for, but that's beside the point here.

"Any" is a pretty big word. I can clearly tell you're not an inventor cnocbui.
    Ha, ha, ha.  Lasers?  Particle beams?  Beam me up Mr Sulu.
    You are so far behind, you don't even know it cnocbui  …I mean, intelligence-wise. You need to learn how to read and follow arguments before you dive into tech discussions here at AI. You can start by reading up on 5G base stations and similar focused-beam technologies for both signal- and power transfer. Yes, in real life 2016 …not in your Star Trek archives.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 49 of 52

tenly said:

Don't think that would work. My understanding is the charging station "locates" the device to be charged and then does a type of "beam forming" where the energy is "aimed" to your device, in a narrow "cone".

This is far more efficient then simply sending energy everywhere in all directions at once.
    Yeah - that sounds completely likely - but perhaps it could be designed to locate and focus beams on more than a single device simultaneously?  (certainly not in v1)
    It absolutely could. Ericsson has already showcased fully functional 5G base stations doing this kind of beam forming with 64 moving cellphones, simultaneously. And they are now rolling it out to operators globally. Planned go-live in 2018-2020.
    tenly
  • Reply 50 of 52
    cnocbui said:
    Ha, ha, ha.  Lasers?  Particle beams?  Beam me up Mr Sulu.
    You are so far behind, you don't even know it cnocbui  …I mean, intelligence-wise. You need to learn how to read and follow arguments before you dive into tech discussions here at AI. You can start by reading up on 5G base stations and similar focused-beam technologies for both signal- and power transfer. Yes, in real life 2016 …not in your Star Trek archives.
    These 5G base stations use lasers and particle beams like those you suggested I consider?

• Reply 51 of 52

tenly said:
    It absolutely could. Ericsson has already showcased fully functional 5G base stations doing this kind of beam forming with 64 moving cellphones, simultaneously. And they are now rolling it out to operators globally. Planned go-live in 2018-2020.
    Are you aware that damage from radiation exposure is cumulative? There are already thousands of sources we are exposed to daily. I certainly don't want my phone receiving an additional "non lethal" dose while it's next to my head or near any other body parts. 
    edited February 2016