Samsung announces Galaxy S7 to debut on Feb. 21 alongside new Gear 360 VR camera

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member

aderutter said:
    "VR hobbyists" jumping on a bandwagon to nowhere. A completely useless fad the tech industry is caught up in right now.
    Yep it's like the 1990s all over again. QTVR anyone? Lol
    That was a lot of fun.  I did lots of house tours for real estate, using the hot area links to go room to room.  Only snag was that was back in the era when Microsoft's IE wrecked every attempt at creativity on the web.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    aderutter said:
    "VR hobbyists" jumping on a bandwagon to nowhere. A completely useless fad the tech industry is caught up in right now.
    Yep it's like the 1990s all over again. QTVR anyone? Lol
    Rayz2016 said:
    What do folk use 360 degree cameras for? 
    Let me guess. You thought phones bigger than 4' were ridiculous and bad UI/UX design and the people who bought them were crude, tasteless and knew nothing about technology ... until Apple came out with the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. When the Fire TV and Nexus Player came out you thought that set top streaming boxes with app stores for gaming (who'd want to play mobile games designed for small touchscreens on big screens with controllers!) ... until Apple refreshed their own Apple TV. When you first saw the Microsoft Surface you thought that 2-in-1s and convertibles with gigantic screens were dumb ... until the iPad Pro. When you first saw small form tablets that Samsung and later Google Nexus introduced you thought they were idiotic ... until the iPad Mini. And when you first saw Pebble and Android Wear devices you thought that smartwatches and other wearables were idiotic ... until Apple made billions selling them last year. Reality 1: serious people are using VR right now, from gaming to education to sports (several college football and NFL teams are using them for practice/training for instance) and medical professionals. And there are two areas for it ... both the immersive experiences using the googles as well as 3-D holographic projection. As it matures there will almost certainly be more. Reality 2: Samsung honestly does have the best commercial tech available right now. The Oculus Rift thing with Facebook STILL isn't on the market, won't be for several months, and when it is, it will cost thousands of dollars. By contrast, the original Samsung Galaxy VR based on Google Cardboard was actually OK. The current Samsung Galaxy VR "2.0" or whatever, based on a combination of Google Cardboard and Oculus tech, is far more affordable, is both a technical and a (comparative qualified) commercial success, drawing universal raves. Until Apple comes out with something better, there is absolutely no reason to criticize something that A) is already technically impressive, B) is selling even if it isn't moving like hotcakes and C) is part of a sector that has seen some degree of adoption (i.e. 5 million Google Cardboard units alone shipped in a year) and that serious people from medical researchers to the Stanford University athletics department is using and D) that Apple's own VR offering will very likely strongly resemble (just as the iPhone 6 resembled existing phablets, Apple Watch resembled existing wearables and so on).
  • Reply 23 of 27
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    peteo said:
    While 360 video's might be a fad. VR/AR is most definitely NOT a fad and is the future of computing. For an apple fanboy you would think you would listen to your leader: "Tim Cook: Virtual reality is not 'a niche' and 'has some interesting applications'
    I disagree. VR is a niche. Even a pair of ultralight glasses using almost no battery to work would be an impediment. The issue is it is a barrier to the real world, hence "niche". As in, a small number of gamers.
    "barrier to the real world"  Your in a virtual world, you dont want to be hindered by the "real" world. Anyone that thinks VR is a fad or like 3dTV needs to try the consumer versions when they come out (Rift/Vive/Playstation VR) its nothing like any thing you have tried before. 
  • Reply 24 of 27
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Rayz2016 said:
    I am guessing that with that device and it's 15 cameras, you could take photos in a location and then later, with the S7 in VR mode and mounted on the Gear headset, it would put you back visually in the place/s where the photos were taken.  Standing in your living room you would visually 'be' back standing in St Marks square in Venice.  As you turn your head, you see what was there in the original location, even what was behind you, look up and you would see the dome of the sky, the sun, clouds, flags flying.

Have you ever used a webcam to see what it was like somewhere else on earth?  Bandwidth permitting, imagine that an S7 user with the Gear VR could tele-prescence themselves to somewhere else where there was one of these cameras.  Stick the camera on a mobile platform the viewer could control and...  Live 360 spherical Google street view and more.

I don't think that camera is meant for your average user to purchase.  It's is going to make any phone look cheap I suspect.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 25 of 27
    peteo said:
    I disagree. VR is a niche. Even a pair of ultralight glasses using almost no battery to work would be an impediment. The issue is it is a barrier to the real world, hence "niche". As in, a small number of gamers.
    "barrier to the real world"  Your in a virtual world, you dont want to be hindered by the "real" world. Anyone that thinks VR is a fad or like 3dTV needs to try the consumer versions when they come out (Rift/Vive/Playstation VR) its nothing like any thing you have tried before. 
    The quality of the the image is irrelevant. There's no problem that is being solved by VR. It's an engineering exercise.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 26 of 27
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    peteo said:
    Being a fad (or not) is uniquely based on actual ability to generate long term sales. Eventually VR will be there, but not soon.

Augmented reality though may be there in about 5 years.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 27 of 27
    I started a company that does 3D 360 VR Video Production.  The idea is that we capture special moments or shoot personal videos for people to relive moments or to share with others.  Right now our focus is mostly on weddings.  But one idea we had was that we could shoot personal videos for those who may have a loved one that is expected to pass soon and that person could record a special message to their loved ones to have forever.  Another aspect would be for those who may have loved ones in the service and want to send them a VR video to make them feel like they are home with them - thought this would be good for holidays, etc.   www.BeThereVirtually.com

jeremy_sd said:
    Idk, if I had a totally immersive 3D video of my mom before she died, I think I would like that very much. Don't hate the tech. Embrace the revolution!
    Rayz2016 said: