Apple Pay accepted at more than 2M locations, coming to Chick-fil-A, other stores soon

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    "Apple Pay accepted at more than 2M locations, coming to Chik-fil-A, other stores soon" Sadly, Tim Cook is NOT accepted at Chik-fil-A...
    You're confused. The owners are anti-abortion, not anti-Tim Cook.
    hes not confused. the owners are also anti- allowing two gay adults to get married at a court house -- a contract which has nothing to do w/ anyone but the two consenting adults applying for the marriage license. the owners do not wish to allow this because they dont recognize same-sex relationships as being as equally valid as their own opposite-sex relationships. thus they do not accept it. thus they do not accept Tim Cook as the person he is. thus the original comment (which i suspect was tongue-in-cheek).

but you knew all this.
    edited February 2016 cogitodexter
  • Reply 22 of 33
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    genovelle said:
    Kind of off subject, but the whole concept of Samsung Pay is scary to me. Taking the magnetic stripe data and transmitting it wirelessly?  That is a recipe for disaster. So now crooks can gain access to your name and  card without actually having your card. Who thought that was a good idea?
    That's not exactly what Samsung Pay is doing. On the old swipe machines (not NFC terminals), it still is sending data from the magnetic stripe, but the transaction is also using a generated token. Regardless, it's pretty foolish of Samsung to be using extremely old technology on the way out. 
  • Reply 23 of 33
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    pmz said:
    It's still virtually no where, and the places where it is, none of the cashiers know what button to press to process it, and most terminals don't work worth a damn.
    I gave up using because it's annoying when it doesn't work, and doesn't do me much good unless 100% of my payments are made this way. 
    Nonsense. I live in a very small town (pop. ~10,000), and close to 50% of the places where I regularly shop have NFC terminals on which I am simply able to wave my Watch or my iPhone. It's incredibly convenient. Cool.

There is no "button to press." 
    I live in south Florida (Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area) and almost all places have NFC terminals, and almost all of those still require a swipe.  Of the few places that I found that do take Apple Pay, only one (Walgreens?) worked as advertised....one tap and that's it.  There were two other grocery stores that both required a tap on the phone, a tap on the terminal to confirm charge amount and then a signature on the terminal.  I don't shop at fast food restaurants so I don't know if they work there as advertised, but I wish it were a more consistent user experience.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    "Apple Pay accepted at more than 2M locations, coming to Chik-fil-A, other stores soon" Sadly, Tim Cook is NOT accepted at Chik-fil-A...
    I'm afraid you're terribly mistaken. Chik-fil-A's founder guy, Truett Cathy, was unabashedly a Christian, as am I. The unfortunate misconception about Christians is that they hate anyone who disagrees with them. Christians must hate homosexuals. But is that what the Bible actually says? On the contrary, Christians are called to love the unbelievers and witness to them! A good way that I think of it is "love the sinner, hate the sin." God loves Tim Cook. So since I love God, I love Tim Cook too. I don't love his sin, but I can be tolerant of it because I know that I'm a sinner too. We all have our own brand of sin. 

The biggest intolerance that plagues our nation is intolerance of the most tolerant religion on earth: Christianity. 
  • Reply 25 of 33
    I'm not sure when The Fresh Market chain of grocery stores pledged support for Apple Pay, but my local location just added it to their POS system within the past few weeks. I honestly don't know why one wouldn't use Apple Pay if they have the option. It's so easy, and much more secure.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    peteo said:
    hittrj01 said:
    Oh, look, another ignorant liberal assuming that because people have differing views and lifestyles, they can't possibly accept and love each other. Just because someone may disagree with a homosexual lifestyle does not mean that person is evil. Yes, there are bad apples that are wrongfully exclusive, and hateful, and bigoted, but Chick-fil-A is not one of those.
    Trying to Stop 2 people who want to be able to LEGALLY marry is HATEFUL, EXCLUSIVE, AND BIGOTED...
    And utterly destroying a family bakery for refusing to participate in an event that violates their religious beliefs is not? In trying to be "equal rights" our country has started destroying the rights of people who hold more traditional values. As I've previously explained, Christians don't hate homosexuals. But it sure seems like homosexuals hate Christians. 
  • Reply 27 of 33
    gorobotgo said:
    I'm not sure when The Fresh Market chain of grocery stores pledged support for Apple Pay, but my local location just added it to their POS system within the past few weeks. I honestly don't know why one wouldn't use Apple Pay if they have the option. It's so easy, and much more secure.
    gorobotgo....Fresh Market is one of the grocery stores I mentioned in my comment above.  The do accept Apple Pay, but it also required me to confirm the charge and sign the terminal.....strange.

edited February 2016
  • Reply 28 of 33
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    jupiterone said:

Fresh Market is one of the grocery stores I mentioned in my comment above.  The do accept Apple Pay, but it also required me to confirm the charge and sign the terminal.....strange.

My grocery store accepts Apple Pay but only makes you sign if it is over some specified amount like $50. 
  • Reply 29 of 33
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Just FYI I used Apple Pay at the Sunnyvale Chick-fil-A last week.
    Food was OK.  But I doubt I'll ever set foot in any Chick-fil-A again.
    The owners' backward-thinking politics are rather unappetizing.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 30 of 33
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Hogwash. If you have the money you'll be served. 
  • Reply 31 of 33
    volcan said:
    jupiterone said:

Fresh Market is one of the grocery stores I mentioned in my comment above.  The do accept Apple Pay, but it also required me to confirm the charge and sign the terminal.....strange.

My grocery store accepts Apple Pay but only makes you sign if it is over some specified amount like $50. 
    For a credit card swipe, mine does too.I guess the cashier could (if they ever wanted to) compare the signature with the one on the back of the credit card I just swiped.  But I don't understand the point if you are paying with Apple Pay. What do you compare the scribble on the screen with?
  • Reply 32 of 33
    You're confused. The owners are anti-abortion, not anti-Tim Cook.
    hes not confused. the owners are also anti- allowing two gay adults to get married at a court house -- a contract which has nothing to do w/ anyone but the two consenting adults applying for the marriage license. the owners do not wish to allow this because they dont recognize same-sex relationships as being as equally valid as their own opposite-sex relationships. thus they do not accept it. thus they do not accept Tim Cook as the person he is. thus the original comment (which i suspect was tongue-in-cheek).

but you knew all this.
    No, I didn't know "all this". Not interested in any more of your garbage. You're blocked.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 33 of 33
    genovelle said:
    Kind of off subject, but the whole concept of Samsung Pay is scary to me. Taking the magnetic stripe data and transmitting it wirelessly?  That is a recipe for disaster. So now crooks can gain access to your name and  card without actually having your card. Who thought that was a good idea?
    It should be scary. The technology is essentially the same as magstripe (they use a magnetic induction coil to simulate the magnetic patterns on the magstripe). This is why it's time for the US to join the rest of the world in the elimination of magstripe technology and get on with chip and pin, which isn't perfect, but a hell of a lot more reliable and secure than magstripe.
    I think you dont quite understand what the technology is. Yes, the under lying transmission is magstripe based. However, the actual data sent doesnt send the actual credit card number. Instead it uses virtual credit cards with tokenization to essentially mask the real number. So the data is safe. Another thing about Samsung Pay is it has TWO technologies built-in: MST and NFC. It uses both technologies simultaneously as well. The MST is accepted almost anywhere you can swipe or tap. That is FAR more than the 2 million that this article is boasting about about. Its in the range of hundreds of million. Apple Pay still has a long way to go. With the NFC you can pay anywhere Apple Pay or Android Pay terminals are accepted. The benefit for the merchant /card processor is that they are not charged by Samsung or any fees (Apple, as far as I'm aware, do charge fees for every transactions). http://www.samsung.com/us/samsung-pay/
    edited February 2016