Sharp takeover deal should be finalized by end of February, Foxconn CEO says

Posted:
in General Discussion
The Foxconn bid to take over Sharp is now only awaiting finalized details between the two parties, Foxconn's CEO Terry Gou told reporters on Friday, indicating that Innovation Network Corp. has indeed been cut out of the loop.

Foxconn has been given preferred negotiating rights, and is aiming to lock up a deal by the end of February, Reuters reported Gou as saying. The two companies are said to have reached a consensus on most matters, with what's remaining being mostly legal and regulatory issues.

"The rest is a process...I don't see a problem completing this process," Gou commented. The CEO spoke with reporters following a meeting with Sharp executives.

Just yesterday, Sharp CEO Kozo Takahashi denied that his company had given Foxconn exclusive negotiating rights. It's not clear what changed to sway the situation.

Foxconn's bid is believed to be worth at least $5 billion, possibly as much as $5.6 billion, twice or more what Innovation was offering. The latter firm, though, is a fund backed by the Japanese state, and was at one point thought to be Sharp's preference. Going that direction might have made a takeover more likely to be approved by regulators, and would have appealed to numerous parties looking to protect Japanese industry and keep it competitive against suppliers in China and South Korea.

Assuming the the Sharp acquisition is completed, it should further strengthen Foxconn's links with Apple, giving it the ability to not just assemble Apple products like the iPhone but manufacture displays as well. Innovation, though, would have folded Sharp's display unit into Japan Display, itself an Apple supplier.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    My understanding is that Foxconn will not own Sharp, they are merely acquiring a large stake, and it's not even a majority stake.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    My understanding is that Foxconn will not own Sharp, they are merely acquiring a large stake, and it's not even a majority stake.
    There was a story about three years ago about a large Foxconn investment in Sharp. Could that be what you're seeing? Do you have a link?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-sharp-m-a-stocksfoxconn-idUSKCN0V71F0

Says the offer would give Foxconn two-thirds stake in Sharp
  • Reply 4 of 9
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Foxconn will screw this up.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Foxconn's CEO Terry Gou forgot to mention that Tim and Jony approve this message.

Don't think for a minute this is Foxconn's idea; this had to receive the blessing of the Tim and Jony every step along the way.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Foxconn is getting too big, in the sense that it could cause a concern for Apple down the line.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    bobroo said:
    Foxconn's CEO Terry Gou forgot to mention that Tim and Jony approve this message. 

Don't think for a minute this is Foxconn's idea; this had to receive the blessing of the Tim and Jony every step along the way.

I thought everyone here was calling for Apple to get out of China due to fake Apple Stores, culture of shoddy fake products, government sponsored hacking, industrial espionage, labor rights, censorship, etc.  Wouldn't a deal between Sharp and Foxconn give China more leverage over Apple?
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 8 of 9
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Blaster said:

Wouldn't a deal between Sharp and Foxconn give China more leverage over Apple?
    Foxconn is a Taiwanese company. But to your point, Apple is probably well under the thumb of the Chinese government already. With the market share that China represents, Apple pretty much has to do whatever the government says or lose their opportunity to access that market.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    bobroo said:

Foxconn will buy this having Apple in sight but this is purely Foxconn move IMO. I don't think it's in Apple's interest to have one supplier swallow another. It's never a good thing when a supplier being too powerful.
    edited February 2016