Apple drops third betas of iOS 9.3, watchOS 2.2, and tvOS 9.2 [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 21
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    dcgoo said:
    supadav03 said:
    Just curious why? I always thought a built in antenna was a great idea.

I am not sure the antenna has to be built-in (might be outside on your roof), but no over the air capability is the big gaping hole in the product IMO.  TiVo knocks it out of the park for exactly that reason.  Provides iPad/iPhone remote access to any OTA recorded content. Plus access to all the Internet sources as well. 
    But that's not the business model for Apple. They don't want you to have anything for free, much less record OTA TV for free, which opens up all kinds of copyright issues that might interfere with their negotiations with content providers.

Theres a radio chip inside of every iPhone, yet Apple doesn't enable it. They likely don't want you listening to radio on your iPhone, they want you streaming from your iCloud or Apple Music paid subscriptions. 

It's unlikely TV will ever have OTA, or PVR abilities. I doubt it will ever have the ability to incorporate an external box of any kind. If a content provider doesn't want to create an app for the TV to get their content on the platform, Apple won't accomodate them otherwise.

Whats missing right now for OTA TV is a really good multi-tuner and PVR. I have a cheap $20 box with a horrible UI, but I can record basic programs on an attached hard disk for later viewing, without paying a TIVO subscription. All of the program info is out there, and a good UI could organize it for user access, just like on all the subscription devices. Not sure why no one is doing that yet. A really good device could then make that info available to Siri for inclusion in the TV search with an app. and maybe that app could even control the OTA box for setting record times. Some of these boxes even stream to the TV their content, so selecting it through the app could achieve a streamlined experience. But I doubt Apple would ever integrate such programming directly into their UI, whatever that ends up becoming.
    edited February 2016