Proposed bill would ban US states from mandating backdoors in encryption

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    My question throughout this back and forth between technology companies and law enforcement and the government intelligence community has always been if you force back doors to be added to this technology will the government officials who currently utilize their iPhones for "official government business" stop using them?  

Let's enable back doors and see how long it takes to get your government phone hacked and sensitive information stolen.  We all know that they will blame the technology companies for their stollen information. But of course they only have themselves to blame.

Just something I keep thinking about every time I read these articles.
    Lawmakers don't want us to have encryption. They only want it for themselves.
    icoco3
  • Reply 22 of 25
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    My question throughout this back and forth between technology companies and law enforcement and the government intelligence community has always been if you force back doors to be added to this technology will the government officials who currently utilize their iPhones for "official government business" stop using them?  

Let's enable back doors and see how long it takes to get your government phone hacked and sensitive information stolen.  We all know that they will blame the technology companies for their stollen information. But of course they only have themselves to blame.

Just something I keep thinking about every time I read these articles.
    Stop calling the "Lawmakers" !!!!  They are Representatives.  Although, that all stopped a long time ago.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    icoco3 said:
    Stop calling the "Lawmakers" !!!!  They are Representatives.  Although, that all stopped a long time ago.
    They are the lawmakers. I refer specifically to Congress.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    icoco3 said:
    They are the lawmakers. I refer specifically to Congress.
    Don't forget about their colleagues established by article 3; and (to some extent) the individual in article 2. All "lawmakers."

Now then, about the several states...
  • Reply 25 of 25
    crowley said:
    Cotti said:
    Introducing backdoors to secure messenger apps would undermine democracy since you'd never be sure whether you're being spied on; ultimately, it would lead to an orwellian dystopia.
    You never know whether you're being spied on when having all sorts of other kinds of communication. How do you survive in the real world with this kind of paranoia?
    Mass surveillance is not possible in the physical world in a similar way it is possible in the digital realm. You'd have to install surveillance devices in every single house. In the digital world, people install surveillance software (e.g., WhatsApp) themselves, which is why end-to-end encryption (as deployed by Threema, Signal, etc.) is gaining popularity.