iPhone controlled 40% of US smartphone market in 2015, data shows

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member
    foggyhill said:
    cropr said:
    Both figures are important. 

If the absolute number of iPhones would drop too much, the eco system is hurt. I own a software company developing iOS and Android  app for companies in Belgium and the Netherlands.  The iPhone market share in the Netherlands is much lower than in Belgium.  In the Netherlands I get customer requests for Android apps only ("later we may want a port to iOS").  In Belgium I always have to supply both versions simultaneously.

Bear in mind that some Android manufacturers are using the  printer model.  They sell the printer/smartphone at cost and make the profits on the ink/accessoires.  LG is in that mode.  Samsung to a lesser extend as well.  For them the profit on the phone is less important, the absolute selling numbers are driving other profitable business.  Google is successfully doing the same with  Android and its ads business
    Considering Google is making as much money from IOS (probably more considering expenditures) and this so called service model (like printers!!!) is NOT reflected in Samsung or LG financials in any way, I don't know what the hell your talking about. At least use reality in your so called argument.
    LG sells massively smartphone accessories, it is its primary source of profit.  So even if LG sells a smartphone at cost, it will generate profit for LG in its accessories business because most users buy accessories
    The semiconductor division of Samsung is making a lot of profit.  The more smartphones Samsung sells, the more profit its semiconductor business makes.  So if Samsung has to choose between more volume or more profit for its phones, it is likely to go for volume.

• Reply 22 of 22
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    cropr said:
    foggyhill said:
    Considering Google is making as much money from IOS (probably more considering expenditures) and this so called service model (like printers!!!) is NOT reflected in Samsung or LG financials in any way, I don't know what the hell your talking about. At least use reality in your so called argument.
    LG sells massively smartphone accessories, it is its primary source of profit.  So even if LG sells a smartphone at cost, it will generate profit for LG in its accessories business because most users buy accessories
    The semiconductor division of Samsung is making a lot of profit.  The more smartphones Samsung sells, the more profit its semiconductor business makes.  So if Samsung has to choose between more volume or more profit for its phones, it is likely to go for volume.

I think you may need to provide a link for that; I cannot find any evidence that LG's accessory business is a 'primary source of profit'. LG's last set of figures showed that the mobile division made a loss of $39million, so I'm not sure where to find these accessory profits.